• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replaced JBL head unit with Fusion...Questions...

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced my original JBL MR-18.3 stereo with a fusion MS-RA70. I also already had a Clarion XM1410 amp. Long story short, i replaced the stereo and everything works, but have some questions about some wires i am currently not using and if i should be...

1) Should i be using this yellow wire? On the JBL stereo it says it is "(BACK-UP B+)" and is connected to a 10amp fuse.
stereo1.jpg

stereo2.jpg

I dont have it connected anywhere on the Fusion stereo and everything is working...

2) On the Fusion wiring harness there are 2 wires i dont have connected as well... One says it will dim the stereo when you turn boat lights on...i am assuming i dont need this, but did anyone else connect this wire to their lights?

and the Brown wire (telemute) says it will mute the radio when a call comes in...Says it activates when connected to ground... Again, i assume i dont "need" this but not really sure how to connect...to any ground wire? Connect to stereo ground/black wire?

stereo3.jpg

I am most concerned about the Yellow wire on the Yamaha. It looks like it feed back up into a wiring harness that runs back towards the back of the boat. Does it run to the rear stereo remote? to something else?

Any insight it appreciated.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was very excited at the subject, because I replaced my JBL with a Fusion. Thought that would make this an easy answer. Guess it was too long ago. But here is what I have/guess:
1) On the yellow wire, I don't recall it, but I am betting that is power to the remote on the swim deck. If it is all working without it.... it must be ok, right?
2) I don't think I yet connected the dimming wire on mine. Haven't missed it... But I don't boat primarily at night. More like rarely.
3) On the mute wire, I have plans for this, but have not done it yet. I want to hook this up to the VHF radio (which has an output for such a thing), so that when the radio squawks the stereo cuts out so I can hear. I know it says cell phone, but for the life of me I don't know practically how to do that.

Hope that helps a little...

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perfect. Thanks. I will leave as is for now then.

Bunk454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If it’s anything like the wiring for a car stereo, that yellow wire is meant to be connected to a constant (non switched) 12 volt source, and allows constant power to enable the radio to retain memory settings, clock, etc.

Might be different for marine applications, but in my experience, all manufacturers reserve the yellow wire for the same thing.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I turned off my battery switch for a while (with yellow wire disconnected) and the head unit still retained my presets. So don’t think it is a memory wire. Maybe power to transom remote? Either way, so far everything is working so I guess I am ok.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I turned off my battery switch for a while (with yellow wire disconnected) and the head unit still retained my presets. So don’t think it is a memory wire. Maybe power to transom remote? Either way, so far everything is working so I guess I am ok.
I have a Fusion unit in my old boat and it retains memory and presets without power. I think most marine units expect the battery power to be turned off when not in use, so it has internal memory backup or flash memory to retain settings. Even with the battery removed for the winter, the Fusion remembers everything. The manual would indicate all the wiring needs - I don't have mine anymore though to help.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would concur with concensus. Yellow is usually constant power to maintain presents. However, if you switch off batteries, which I do when I return from boating, there is not constant power. My MSRA670 maintains all settings regardless of power present or not. I believe this is a holdover of older style radios and headunits.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. I went back and checked again and all presets are saved still and radio is working (and sounds great). Thanks for all the follow up from everyone.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi. Just curious if you had to get a different faceplate when you went Fusion on your helm. And any other tips you may have on the install. I am getting ready to replace the JBL 18.3 stock unit. (live on the SE side of CLT as well) hooking up to new Wetsounds speakers and 2 HTX-6 amps.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. Did the same replacement on mine. Fusion makes a faceplate adapter that you should get...

That is really the only trick. The rest is just a normal radio install, like in a car.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes. Did the same replacement on mine. Fusion makes a faceplate adapter that you should get...

That is really the only trick. The rest is just a normal radio install, like in a car.
Yes. That. Everything else was standard.