• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacement steering helm/assembly

Ninedollars

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone know the lock to lock degree of steering for yamaha or have replaced it before? I know the Yamaha part number is f2d-u151a-00-00. But it's like 300+. While the teleflex/seastar one is half the price. They look identical and I'm assuming the Yamaha one is just the teleflex one just like the steering cables. I just don't know if I'm supposed to get the 270 degrees steering or 135 degrees.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I think I got about a turn and a half from pump center. I replaced my steering cable a couple months back.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
135 older boats get about 1/4 turn full left or right newer AK boats go twice the travel to gear it down for the rudder so you don't go home with sore arms from the steering wheel resistance .

Ninedollars

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahh so it technically shouldn't matter if I get 270. Either way it's a win. The 270 should have lower gears.

I checked out another thread and op said the 270 was a direct fit for his ls2000. I'll update here with my findings after my parts arrive...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ahh so it technically shouldn't matter if I get 270. Either way it's a win. The 270 should have lower gears.

I checked out another thread and op said the 270 was a direct fit for his ls2000. I'll update here with my findings after my parts arrive...
It depends if they are interchangeable and if you want to deal with the wheel taking all that input to turn the boat I hear some people don't like to have to turn the wheel so far If you don't have any issues with steering resistance I don't see any reason to change it and the cables may be different due to the longer travel in the wheel nothing is ever simple but until someone tries it first hand just be cautious.

Ninedollars

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just finished replacing the steering assembly, it all fits and it's good as new and most of the steering slop is gone, which was the original reason why I wanted to replace it. Also 270degrees is 100% the same one as the OEM one.

After opening the old assembly, I found you can potentially fix the loose steering without buying a new one. Read below.

I purchased this Seastar jetboat 270 degree steering assembly from eBay.

When it came, I found out right away that it was not identical to what I have. The one purchased above had threads on the shaft where the one from Yamaha slotted into the tilt steering without threads.Screenshot_20220927-173146.png

Being lazy to return, I decided to swap the shaft with the old one. Which I found was pretty straight forward. Oh also the picture below is the NEW shaft with the OLD steering assembly because I already finished installing. But I figure I should take some pictures to explain what I did.. maybe it will help someone later on.

1. I found out the reason why my steering is so loose is because the white hold down thingy was worn out. It's there to keep the gears pushed against each other. You can probably replace it or put a washer there to act like a spacer. This is one of the many areas that cause the steering to feel loose.
PXL_20220928_001619030.jpg
PXL_20220928_001628824.jpg

2. Because I did not pay attention, I bought the wrong one with the wrong shaft. So I ended up just swapping the old one in. There is a snapring here. Just get it out enough to slide it down a bit. No need to remove it completely.
PXL_20220928_001713433.jpg

3. once you get the snapring off. You can push the shaft in a little to reveal this other locking ring. I used a pair of pliers to push this off. Pretty sure there is a tool for this but I don't have it. Once that's off you can slide the whole shaft out. Also, where the shaft inserts into this gear is where another cause loose steering can be. The slot the shaft goes in is not 100% tight. If you put some aluminum tape or something similar you can probably make this area extra tight. Not necessary though, but it will further tighten the wheel. Both the new and old shaft had the same tolerance. To assembly just do the reverse. Make sure it's all centered.
PXL_20220928_001651729.jpg

The other area where the steering wheel is loose is due to the tilt steering because it wears down. I'll probably replace that or figure out how to tighten it up.

You can probably just buy the correct replacement but the one I got was 150 bucks. 100 or more cheaper than the Yamaha one. Also because I wasn't paying attention. Not sure if they sell the Yamaha one cheaper elsewhere.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I figure someone will want to see pictures of the inside.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the update @Ninedollars. I think I will replace my white hold down thingy over the winter.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the pictures, I have about +/- 15 degrees of movement in my 2008 AR 230 and it was on my list of things to do once to boating season ends here in TX. I know what to do now without even opening it up!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha I wish I knew what it was called to even search for it.
My thinking is to remove the "white hold down thingy" then print new ones at various thickness until it feels right. Then regrease and reseal.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha I wish I knew what it was called to even search for it.
If you want to rebuild the steering box you took out send me the white thing and I will send you back a set of replacements.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Which is the white down thing in the pictures??

Ninedollars

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want to rebuild the steering box you took out send me the white thing and I will send you back a set of replacements.
If you would like me to send to you for measurements i'd be happy to. Or if you'd like I'll go grab the calipers and take some measurements. I don't think I need replacement piece though! Thank you!