• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Retire or not to retire...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I also think there is something to working longer that takes a toll. I read somewhere about a study done in Europe that was a graph that compared retirement in the 50's vs the 60's. What was interesting, is that those that retired in mid 50's had a life expectancy following retirement of an average of something like 28 years. Those that retired mid 60's only had an additional 12 years. So working later in life according to this study and my interpretation of the graph, tended to reduce life expectancy. That is something to think about also. In my game, some guys seem to think that this type work doesn't take as much out of you, and others think the ups and downs, travel, weather, stress, hotels, and circadian rhythm alteration, ages you more quickly. An associate that is not only a pilot for us but a high level financial planner and pension manager, tells me to slow down, take ALL of my vacation, drop trips, bid conflicts, and fly less stressful trips as I age. He has seen it all and continues to everyday, and I believe him. Today, companies want to work you until you die, and have increased "productivity" to do just that. Our fathers and grandfathers didn't put in the pace and load we are approaching retirement, so I hope your gig is less stressful than mine is Jim. At this point in life, I have to consider hiring it done vs doing it myself...it all takes a toll and the golden years need to be FUN!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mel, I think you are correct and yes I am willing to pay to get stuff done that I used to do. It also seems like I am so much busier and so much more stress! Hell, no I have stress about when to retire! Go figure.