• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Retire or not to retire...

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, while looking at my 401K yesterday, I used a tool we have to calculate if we would have enough to retire in a certain year. According to this tool I could actually retire next year!! I will be 55 with 29 years of service. I know what my wife would say but man that is definitely tempting. I probably won't do that but it is nice to know that I could. I had already planned to give it up in about 4 years and I know this probably makes sense to do so. Okay, what do you all think...retire or stay with it for a few more years??

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are physically able to keep going, do it (keep working) unless you have a huge surplus of funds already. We never know what's coming around the bend, like unexpected medical costs. Use a few different calculators to see if they all confirm the first calculation.

Last edited:

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
It sounds awesome to be able to retire. But I think knowing you "don't have" to work would make a few more years go by a little faster. The added cushion could prove to be good.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JC6275 ... funny you said that. I have had a smile on my face all day today thinking about this. And I think you are 100% correct on making the years go by a little easier. That is the biggest concern I have @Murf'n'surf ...the insurance thing. I'm feeling pretty good right now with the exception of my knee. I need to have my ACL repaired but I just haven't wanted to do it just yet. I don't know what I'm waiting on, just don't want to go through that again.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
doesn't it piss you off a little to think that health insurance has become such a large part of our lives, dictating major decisions, and when we can make them. I am afraid to see what the costs will be when I am able to start seriously thinking about retirement. Really even what the costs will be in as little as 7-10 years.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how much do you enjoy your current job ? I read one time those that retire earlier actually live longer, I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that basic statement but I bet it does have some truth, If your current job adds a lot of stress to your life it may be worth considering, take a year off to recharge and then get a part time or less stressful job to help bring in some extra income. If your current job isn't reducing your life span I would probably say stick with it as long as you can and make it work for you, once you give up that full time salary/position it's hard to get it back if you ever needed to,

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JC6275 ... funny you said that. I have had a smile on my face all day today thinking about this. And I think you are 100% correct on making the years go by a little easier. That is the biggest concern I have @Murf'n'surf ...the insurance thing. I'm feeling pretty good right now with the exception of my knee. I need to have my ACL repaired but I just haven't wanted to do it just yet. I don't know what I'm waiting on, just don't want to go through that again.
Go get your knee fixed and take a FMLA.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, while looking at my 401K yesterday, I used a tool we have to calculate if we would have enough to retire in a certain year. According to this tool I could actually retire next year!! I will be 55 with 29 years of service. I know what my wife would say but man that is definitely tempting. I probably won't do that but it is nice to know that I could. I had already planned to give it up in about 4 years and I know this probably makes sense to do so. Okay, what do you all think...retire or stay with it for a few more years??
I think you should send me about $75,000. This way you won't be tempted to retire early and you will stay active as part of the working class society. If you decide to change your mind I will refund 30% back, but it will be amortized over a 15 year period.:winkingthumbsup"

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@BigN8 ... I laughed out loud at that one!! Should I make that out to cash?? ;)

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dad retired a little over a year ago, he started a new job today:)
Not that he needed to but he ran out of things to piddle around with and hunting season is pretty much over. I can see him work till early summer and "retire" again, or maybe he will work till the Fall and retire to his hunting spot for several months like he did this year.

I just retired from the Air Force effective 1 December (my last day of work was 11 Sep), 2 February I started my new job with a DOD contractor working at a little site in Cape San Blas, FL that belongs to Eglin AFB.

It's nice knowing I will always have that retirement check coming in.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Retirement, what's that?
Sitting around watching the Daisy's grow, looking after the grandkids, travelling??
I've retired twice, but now.... I'd say semi retired. Do we really retire nowadays? I can't sit around, not being into something, I get bored. If you have your health and can retire and do the things you've always wanted to do, then yes, do it early. When I'm old and frail lying in my bed, I want memories in my head of all the places I've seen, all the nice people I've had fortune to meet, the good times I'm having right now, health is wealth, if you've got it now use it now!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think all the above covered it well!

Take a deep breath....go back to work....and SMILE! Unless you HATE your job, then quit and go do something you would enjoy doing! I've often wondered about working at Home Depot or Ace....just to help folks out with their home challenges! I was a handy man for a condo building for a while, I enjoyed helping the older folks in the building with simple jobs!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I didn't read everything close enough to see what you did for work. I think that has some weight in the matter as well. I personally work as a mason tender, which is very physically demanding. By the time I reach my Union's age of 55, I'm going to have given up my body for work. Knowing this, I've asked to be the forklift driver, shop guy, and our truck driver.
What I'm trying to say is hopefully you can just slow it down, not straight up retire. Get a few extra years in, but enjoy them knowing you're usefull, making money, keeping insurance, etc. but not breaking your mind/body over things. Go down to part time perhaps? I don't know how it goes with the company you're at, but we have had two of our top foremen retire the last couple years, and basically they took it easy for the last couple years by actually being on a big enough job where they read blueprints and told people where to go etc. all day. Easier for them, and we had people with the experience to do a job like that without getting frustrated or worked up. Worked out great.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All very good advice and I still enjoy coming to work. @Speedling ... I work for 3m as a technician and have now for 28.5 years. I do enjoy the folks that I work with and the challenges that come up from day to day. I get to make things then tear them apart as well as help the engineers figure out ways to do things better, faster and still maintain quality. I'm paid well and have great benefits. So why give it up?? I don't know...just made me smile some knowing I guess. @Julian ... funny you mentioned the Home Depot thing. When I was younger I had a job at a local hardware store and that was the funniest job I ever had. Helping people, older people mostly, with some of their problems. And that would be something I would consider doing on a part time basis just to keep my mind sharp. Along with spending more time at the lake!!

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess I'm the odd-man-out here, I retired at the earliest opportunity and wish I could have done it sooner. Everyone is different of course, but I enjoy being able to do what I want every day and not worrying about punching a clock, taking/giving orders, or having a regimented schedule. So far, I haven't been bored at all--I get up when I want, go boating whenever I want, read, travel, or do nothing.

The problem is that your health (or your wife's) at 55 is probably a lot better than it will be at 65 so you may not be able to do the same things in ten years that you can do now. That's not always the case, but generally speaking I think it is. As long as your are financially secure, I would jump at the chance to retirement ASAP.

Anyway, it's an individual decision that only you can make...

Good luck...

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My advice (re: "retirement") ?

A) Take care of the medical insurance issue. There are many alternatives.
then
B) ......................

+                                       FISH - sm.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OH ! And if that don't float your boat

There is still TONS of time left over every day ! ............
+                                       JET SKI - sm.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Jim, you and I are very close in age, and really, perspective is everything. But the difference from 50 to 55 is eye watering, and the difference from 55 to 60 even more so. Every year that passes after about 49 or 50 is a degraded you. Stuff you can't exercise your way out of. I am a believer, now that I have watched guys I have flown with for years retiring, that you can't put off until tomorrow what you could have done today. That said, some of them have been miserable not going to work. But the biggest issue is money. You say you have enough to live on in retirement...well, your money has to not only support you but pay for all the unexpected medical costs until you reach medicare age, so consider that one carefully. And supplemental policies are very tricky, we are all really just depending on luck at the age where your not medicare eligible yet...and my fear is that by that point, I will be "elderly". Ugh. We were looking at motorhomes yesterday and the RV show is this coming weekend. What will you do without having to go to work? Past the occasional trips, you have to consider everyday life. I have a neighbor that was able to retire from TI and assume a consultant role to maintain some health benefits but not have daily responsibilities or the commute. That let him have a little something to do and keep on trucking...until just a few months into it, his health issues caused him great concern. Jim, if I could afford to gain another 5 years of life by retiring at 55 I would jump all over it. Now that is to say that in retirement, not only do you have enough to pay the daily bills, medical costs, but also enjoy continuing your enjoyment of whatever it is you want to do, such as boating, traveling, etc. If you have to hang up your life because of cost...keep working. But the idea of working until you can't is just tragic IMO. Your wife deserves to enjoy your heart and mind away from the distraction and let you and ya'll be your focus for a few years. Perspective. Life looks very different from one side of 50-55 than it does from the other side. But I hear you, the closer you get to it, and knowing you will be ok, is a very secure feeling! Congratulations on 29 years with the company! I will be required to retire 6 years from tomorrow, and just reached 25 years with the company earlier this month...but I have been flying airplanes for a living for 38 years. It isn't manual labor, but it takes a toll on you, just like working for 3M! Since your still virtually a young guy, start practicing being retired and take some trips, get a new hobby or two, go back to school, get a good visual image of what you want to be doing. If that brings you this way, you and the mrs. plan to stop by and open a bottle of vino with us...we will discuss the possibilities! Congratulations again!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Mel for all the insight!! Much appreciated. I will probably end up waiting to hit my early out age which is 58. That will give me 33 years in and 3M provides a bridge to Social Security if your age and years of service match a certain number. In my case it is 91. Plus, and this is the biggest reason I would stay a little longer is my beautiful bride. I am 5 years her senior and I couldn't imagine the "honey do" list that I would have if I go out next year. Although would be nice to know that I could ditch the list and go to the lake to do a little fishing or boating!! I already have several hobbies that I enjoy when I have extra time and couldn't definitely see some travel time in our future!! The same thing goes for you and yours if you're ever in the area!!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I understand everyone's thoughts. I am thinking I want to stay at it until 62.5. My job isn't bad but now that I could retire I tend to have less tolerance for BS so I have to keep thinking positive! HA. My wife's company covers insurance when she retires so we are lucky there. Our plan is to have enough that we can enjoy life and still take trips a few times a year. I have known people that worked right till they retire and then pass away, what a loss. My father-in-law retired at 55. He golfed and just had a good time. That was 20+ years ago and he is still enjoying life. I have been helping elderly people over the past few years. Just providing free labor and information to make better decisions. I will probably do more of that when I retire. I also want to use and enjoy both my Yamaha and my Harley much more! HA. You just never know when something will happen or when your health changes and you can't do these things any more, so make the most of what you have now!