• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reusing bearing race

Familyjetboat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it ok to reuse hub assembly race when installing new bearings. There seems to be conflicting info. We have a road trip in a couple of weeks. When going thru my checklist I checked the trailer bearings and the left rear made some noise. So, I am replacing the bearings. On the inside bearing I could not get the race to seat properly. It would not fit into the hub. I even tried to shrink it by freezing it. Still a no go.

I have time, so I may just try to find the whole hub assembly.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have always been told no, and have accordingly always replaced them. Basically, it is cheap insurance. I think the only time I have reused a race was when I could not get the race--and then I replaced them a few months later when I was able to locate the right race. So I would go for replacement.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Race and bearing replaced together.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree ideally you should replace, but if you have an upcoming trip and the race at hand is faulty, and the old race feels fine to the finger with no perceptible imperfections, I would reassemble to use if needed while the replacement is sourced.

best of luck!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, here’s what you need. Bearing race L68110. The bearing kit you got came with an L68111, but it’s about .010” too big. You should be able to get the race at local parts stores, or if you have a trailer shop local, they might have it also. It’s not a very common race, so u might have to call around.

Familyjetboat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, here’s what you need. Bearing race L68110. The bearing kit you got came with an L68111, but it’s about .010” too big. You should be able to get the race at local parts stores, or if you have a trailer shop local, they might have it also. It’s not a very common race, so u might have to call around.
You are correct. The race L68111 is too big. Ill check around for race L68110. It beats replacing the whole hub assembly.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It sounds like you are replacing the bearings preemptively?
I wouldn’t think you NEED to replace the race.
JMHO

Familyjetboat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like you are replacing the bearings preemptively?
I wouldn’t think you NEED to replace the race.
JMHO
I guess I am doing it early in regards to a failing bearing. The grease fitting was letting water into the bearing housing, so I decided to go ahead and take care of it. Plus, when I pulled the brake assembly off the hub half the brake pad was missing. So I'm doing new brakes as well.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No prob! Glad you got it taken care of!