• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reusing head gaskets

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are head gaskets reusable?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Short answer is no.

Long answer is head gaskets compress under torque and conform to your block and head. Once torqued that's it. If you tried to reuse them you're asking for a leak.

There's an old saying. Two things you don't reuse is condoms and gaskets. Reusing them could cause leaks and could be costly :D

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Short answer is no.

Long answer is head gaskets compress under torque and conform to your block and head. Once torqued that's it. If you tried to reuse them you're asking for a leak.

There's an old saying. Two things you don't reuse is condoms and gaskets. Reusing them could cause leaks and could be costly :D
Thank you for the reply. My intention is to determine whether or not I have resolved a heating problem. It would be temporary at no wake rpms to see if the sensor would trip. If no problem the new gasket. The head gasket is very strong three layers of ss. It is missing the coating but I think it could be redressed.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For the cost of a head gasket vs the time to replace, I’d never ever ever (enough Evers?) reuse. Too many hours spent trying to save a $20 gasket.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. My intention is to determine whether or not I have resolved a heating problem. It would be temporary at no wake rpms to see if the sensor would trip. If no problem the new gasket. The head gasket is very strong three layers of ss. It is missing the coating but I think it could be redressed.
Shouldn't be a problem. You can use spray paint for the coating. Been there done that.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The answer is No.
Cost/time when there is a problem with it,not worth it.
Can it be done, yes
I might in your situation if I did not have one.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If guess is a minimum of 4hr, maybe 8+ to replace the hg. Gotta pull the exhaust and intake, valve cover and cams before you get to the bolts. I'd never reuse because it's never want to redo it! I think it's about 200 bucks for gaskets if you pull the grades for any reason. I replaced all exhaust gaskets as directed by the manual.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The answer is No.
Cost/time when there is a problem with it,not worth it.
Can it be done, yes
I might in your situation if I did not have one.
I recoated the gasket as Sbrown suggested. The head gasket is composed of three layers of stainless steel. I do not believe these gaskets will compress except for the coating which is sealing between the surfaces. The reuse is temporary. I want to see if I have resolved an overheat problem. Engines rpms will not exceed no wake.