• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review of the new Silverado EV (aka EVlanche)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Saw Raitis rides posted a walkthrough of the new Silverado EV. Few thoughts.

Overall, I like it. The split headlights are weird to me, and honestly they look like they're not going to be effective headlights, but visually, it's nice.

Not offering the full 1000hp.setup on RST is a mistake. It shouldn't be exclusive to the hummer truck. 400 miles of range, if they actually hit it, is pretty nuts.

Interior looks nice, looks like Chevy ripped off the current Escalade interior. It's more screens than I typically like, and I wish there was more physical controls, but it looks like a nice place to be. Hopefully that big glass roof opens, and has a sunshade (it seemed like the preproduction model didn't have either).

What's with the EV trucks all having some weird upholstery in them? This has neoprene for trim, lightning has weird fabric door cards... It's weird, and leather or pleather would be better.

All that said, seems like a nice 65k truck. Problem is it's over 100k. That's just too much money IMO. You're paying ballpark 500$ a month in JUST INTEREST at that price point. For that kind of money you can buy a commuter sports SUV and a decent newer truck and still come out cheaper. I'm sure they'll find some.buyers for them, and admittedly people are paying this kinda money for Roush, Shelby, TRX, raptor r, etc trucks, but I didn't get the impression that this was supposed to be "special" like that. It just seems like it's the "sporty trim".

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Link?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, I saw that. Looks like a great truck. Would likely do ALL of the things I need a truck to do, and would get me out of an ICE powered vehicle and into an EV. I love the premise of driving to work for under $1 of energy instead of about $5. I love the idea that my energy could come from something other than dead dinos at some point. Love the lack of maintenance. Just can't get over the price currently.

However, I let me early reservation go and got my $100 back. Just not sure when/how I'll be able to justify a $100k truck. Even with my "husband math" set to stun, I can't make the numbers work. Even for the absurdly good income my wife and I have, there's just other places I'd rather put that money.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea, I saw that. Looks like a great truck. Would likely do ALL of the things I need a truck to do, and would get me out of an ICE powered vehicle and into an EV. I love the premise of driving to work for under $1 of energy instead of about $5. I love the idea that my energy could come from something other than dead dinos at some point. Love the lack of maintenance. Just can't get over the price currently.

However, I let me early reservation go and got my $100 back. Just not sure when/how I'll be able to justify a $100k truck. Even with my "husband math" set to stun, I can't make the numbers work. Even for the absurdly good income my wife and I have, there's just other places I'd rather put that money.
Agreed. We make good money and I just can't convince myself that's ok. Especially for something that's not "special". Its not a Porsche, it's not "the last of the supercharged v8s", it's not even a luxury vehicle or anything like that. It's a really expensive Chevy.

I don't drive enough to ever make it the cost effective choice for me, but even taking that out it's tough to stomach that kinda cost. If the government really wants to force us into electrics, 0% interest for 6-10 years is probably the way tondonit

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are ugly wheels a requirement for all electric vehicles?
Put a V8 in it at $65k and maybe.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Personally, I would stay away from EVs that have Chevy name on it.
2 reasons, Bolt/Volt vehicles proved that even Chevy was long into EV game they had no clue what they were doing.
Second, by looking at Hammer EV 205kwh pack gives you 300 miles of range. It will take it forever to charge and it will not provide much savings vs gas truck. If you charge at home, say $0.15 per kWh it will run you $30 for 300 miles. If you charge at supercharger at $0.45 then it will cost you $90.
Counting cold weather, rain, highway speeds you will never get 300 miles. More like 250.
So I would rather pay $65k for a truck and have $35k for gas, rather then get EV truck with questionable savings and definitely higher premiums on insurance, first it is $100k, second it is EV. In case of accidents most EVs get totaled, either too expensive to fix or creates liability since someone has to warranty the job.
Rivian, Ford Lightning are pretty much similar story. Unless you charge at home and do not go too far, there is no savings. But like both of those.
Tesla Cybertruck is probably the way to go for efficiency and technology, but it is fugly as hell.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Considering there's not a single cyber truck in customers hands, and I don't think a real expectation for when they will be, I consider them vaporware.

I will say, take the BEV out of the equation and the EVlanche RST would probably be a 70-75k gas truck. Maybe 80k. 20k is a lot of gas though, you can buy a pretty decent commuter car for that.

I still maintain all the big 3 missed the mark by going BEV and not range extended EV. That crazy expensive battery pack could have been scaled WAY day, with a small generator to keep it charged on longer trips. 50-100 miles of range would be enough for most people, and unlimited gassed up range works for everyone. Probably would have been an 80-85k truck too.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
F-150 Powerboost (hybrid) Lariats are in the $60k range, loaded King Ranches are low $80s. Oops, no heating steering wheels, no chips for that. 😢

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
F-150 Powerboost (hybrid) Lariats are in the $60k range, loaded King Ranches are low $80s. Oops, no heating steering wheels, no chips for that. 😢
By the time. You add 502A, 4x4, moon roof, and a couple other things the lariat is basically 80k too.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By the time. You add 502A, 4x4, moon roof, and a couple other things the lariat is basically 80k too.
Anything can be pimped out. My point was that there are better alternatives than buying a Silverado EV or Lightning and at multiple, attainable price points.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anything can be pimped out. My point was that there are better alternatives than buying a Silverado EV or Lightning and at multiple, attainable price points.
I don't disagree. I just don't think a base lariat cuts it for me. Those are things that IMO should be standard at $60k.