• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rewiring Stereo in SX190, hoses.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got a strange one for you guys. I bought my '12 SX190 last fall, and I'm finally getting around to doing some stuff to it. I noticed that the stereo isn't wired to any switch, and it is always just on/off depending on if I turn it on.

I was considering putting a switch in for it now that I purchased a Blue Sea fuse box and whatnot, but I'm not even sure where the wiring for the head unit even connects to. I'm thinking about putting in a second battery for electronics (not sure on whether or not I'll bother putting a switch in for it yet), and would rather connect the stereo to the house battery (if I do install it), but without having a clue where the wiring goes it's going to be tough.

Have any of you come across this? Did you rewire yours?

AND, second question - as I've been digging around I've noticed that none of the drain ports in the anchor locker or cubbies are connected to any sort of hosing, so if there's water it just drips down on the carpet in the storage lockers. Where are these hoses supposed to connect to if i want to put the hoses in?

Thanks!

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cubbies won't have any hoses, the glove box and cup holders have drain holes just to prevent small amounts of water from pooling, I wouldn't worry about it. The anchor locker and ski locker are another story, applying RTV silicone around the drain plug in the ski locker will help prevent wanter from coming into the ski locker from the bilge. Water drains from the anchor locker directly into the ski locker, you can run a hose but you would have to crawl into the ski locker to hook it up then run it all the way to the bilge. Personally, I found it easier to just fill the drain hole with RTV and drain out any water after a trip.

The stereo really won't need a switch, when the battery is off it is off and most head units draw no power when in standby. The wiring for the head unit runs directly to the factory fuse box in the back of the engine compartment, if you wanted to isolate the head unit you would need to rewire at the harness. Mine is tied directly to the stereo amp which is on a breaker, if the breaker is open no portion of the stereo has power. Also for the battery, I would recommend a simple two battery setup for the 190 as opposed to a DVSR house/start battery system. It's a cheaper way to go and overall simpler system.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is all really good information. Thanks a ton. I guess realistically speaking unless I was going to hook up the audio equipment to a house battery there isn't really a huge need for a second battery right now (since it'll only be the depth sounder and a usb port on it right now).

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Probably not, but it is always good to have for redundancy. These boats take almost nothing to turn over but the last thing you would want is to be stuck with a dead battery.

This is my battery setup:

Mod 1: New Battery/Second Battery Install
First thing was the battery, I am slightly paranoid about having a dead battery on the water/really like redundancy when it comes to the essentials and needed to provide a solid platform to drive the stereo. Having read the debates about DVSR setup and house/start battery isolation, I decided to keep it simple and go with a two battery switch from BEP Marine. Opting to keep the existing, fairly new group 24 as the second battery while picking up a group 31 AGM from Sam’s Club.

DVSR Debate: https://jetboaters.net/threads/single-engine-two-batteries-will-it-stay-charged.21441/

BEP Switch: Amazon.com : BEP 701S Battery Switches - 1-2-Both-Off : Boating Battery Switches : Sports & Outdoors
2G AWG Battery Cables: Amazon.com: 2 AWG Gauge Red + Black Pure Copper Battery Inverter Cables Solar, RV, Car, Boat 12 in 3/8 in Lugs
Group31 Battery Tray: Amazon.com: Seachoice 21971 Premium, Durable Battery Tray, Fits Group 31 Batteries: Sports & Outdoors
Duracell Group 31 DeepCycle AGM: Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 - Sam's Club

IMG_8335.jpeg
IMG_8565.jpeg

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, totally get it. I do have a dual-on board charger that I installed before storing it last winter, so at least I can keep it charged and monitor the voltage. Maybe that'll be my next project after I get everything wired up and my lateral thrusters installed if they ever show up here.