• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Single engine, two batteries... will it stay charged?

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was looking into ways to add a second battery to my SX190, the idea would be to add a BEP battery distribution block w/DVSR similar to what Yamaha puts on the 212 and 242 boats. This would let me have a basic starting battery and deep cycle for the stereo (JL system coming soon) and one day fish finder/VHF radio. Amazon.com : BEP Square Battery Distribution Cluster for Single Engine with Two Battery Banks : Sports & Outdoors

Was hoping this setup would allow both batteries to stay topped off while on the water but started doing some digging on the forum and it looks like the single 1.8 would not produce enough power to charge both batteries, is this true??? Most of my trips are multiple days on the water away from shore power making it difficult/not possible to recharge the batteries after a day on the water, is there any workaround to needing to recharge?

Thanks

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Depends on how far you discharge that second battery and how long you run to recharge. I'd give it a try but if you ever have a dead battery don't expect it to recharge on one motor and a short trip.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

would this create enough to help?

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking after a few hours of playing music in a cove then running for say 45min to an hour. Multiple days of that is what I would think could leave me with a dead battery, especially if I keep playing music while running (assuming that 14amps from the charging system won't overcome the draw from stereo and MFD) <- would be nice if I was wrong on this one.

To add solar I would need to add a tower, maybe in a few years but that might not be possible for the time being.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can keep a charger on them when your not using the boat it might help.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have a 212 and I have one battery for starting, music (Wetsounds Amp) and Lowrance. Its never gone dead on me during the season and my music never goes off once we get in the boat. If you are worried about that its much easier to get a jump box off Amazon and plug it in once a month to be sure its full. Remember these are Jet Ski motors and dont require much to spin so one of todays small jump packs will be more than enough to get you going, then the charging system of the boat will rebound that battery. 2nd battery means more wiring to fail, another battery to service and an extra 50Lbs you dont need. Amazon.com: Audew 1000A Peak Car Jump Starter (Up to 8.0L Gas or 5.0L Diesel Engine) Portable Jump Pack, Auto Battery Booster, 12V Car Jumper with Dual USB Ports and Flashlight: Gateway

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking after a few hours of playing music in a cove then running for say 45min to an hour. Multiple days of that is what I would think could leave me with a dead battery, especially if I keep playing music while running (assuming that 14amps from the charging system won't overcome the draw from stereo and MFD) <- would be nice if I was wrong on this one.

To add solar I would need to add a tower, maybe in a few years but that might not be possible for the time being.
you could always use like a handlebar mount like for go pros . up front or the grab handle inside the cabin.

Like Evil said though I run my stereo with my subs and have never had a issue. I also have a noco jump box in the boat in case though, and put on the charger when in storage. We will go and stay at Keystone for the weekend and just leave the boat in a slip with no power.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fair point, but I might be alright if you guys are not having any issues then I should be good. Did some more research and it looks like the Blue Seas add a battery kit should do the job, goal is to just have separation for redundancy.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sounds like you need to do a Mod to this boat lol, Im just not sure adding another battery will ever be worth the extra weight and hassle when for less than $70 you can have enough emergency power to get you out of a situation. Easy for me to say.......

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha you have no idea, what can I say, I like to tinker. I think you are right on that point of not needing a second battery, I have just always had a mindset about having a full backup on standby. Actually a little surprised to hear so much opposition to having 2 batteries, all for saving money so if a single battery will get the job done then I might give it a shot.