• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ribbon Delete on 242 Limited S

1shonoff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking to some help on a ribbon delete part number. Has any completed this mod on a 2012 242 limited S. Looking for part info and pro/cons for the mod.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not on a 2013 but on a 2010 so same engines. Here is a video of my efforts. At 5:55 you can see the replacement units I used are from R&D.

honestly, I didn’t notice any difference with the ribbon gone. If I were to do it again I would ave the $50 per ring and just remove the ribbon and the rubber surrounding it without replacing any of it. If you go this route make sure you take the rubber surround as well. Someone here did not and it got sucked into the engine / totaled the engine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The ribbon is to prevent backfires from shooting a flame out if you have gas fumes in your engine compartment that could be very bad.
I did a modified air filter that did make a big difference on MID RANGE acceleration but it also reduced the fuel economy quite noticeably. I designed and built the air filters myself , they never need to be replaced either but I left the ribbon where it belongs.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you remove the ribbons / flame arrestors you should also upgrade to the reusable and cleanable air filters which are certified by the us coast guard as flame arrestors. This is true for the 998cc, 1,052cc and 1,812 cc motors.

Last edited:

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which filters are certified as flame arrestors? I've seen the ones on Jetboat Pilot (K&N?) for $120 apiece. Are there any others?

If you remove the ribbons / flame arrestors you should also upgrade to the reusable and cleanable air filters which are certified by the us coast guard as flame arrestors. This is true for the 998cc, 1,052cc and 1,812 cc motors.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Which filters are certified as flame arrestors? I've seen the ones on Jetboat Pilot (K&N?) for $120 apiece. Are there any others?
I don’t know for sure but believe that all metal mesh reusable air filters are certified as flame arrestors by the coast guard . Mine are from r&d and are stamped coast guard approved same was true of the models I installed in my 230 before I bought a 242.