• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ribbon delete problem

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey there;

I bought a RIVA sleeve for my 2014 AR190 in order to do the ribbon delete. When I tried to put it in, it's way too large for the end of the plastic manifold on my AR190. I put the same sleeve in my 2012 VXR last week. Turns out the opening in the aluminum manifold of my VXR is much larger than my AR190. Has anyone run into this? Is there another sleeve for the boats? Should I just leave nothing in there and not worry about it?

It has to be at least 5/8" bigger in diameter.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing is fine, but make sure you DO NOT leave the rubber gasket that goes around the ribbon behind.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you still have your VXR ribbon? Is it larger diameter?

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Swatski. As much as I'd like to put a proper sleeve in there, I don't want to leave my boat sitting like this for weeks waiting on the part.

Does anyone know the torque for those bolts on the plastic manifold? There are four bolts all together holding the throttle body and the flame arrestor retainer vs the older style where there's 4 bolts and 4 nuts on studs. If nobody knows I presume I'll just got with 17.8ft/lbs

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you still have your VXR ribbon? Is it larger diameter?
Yes, I do. I was trying to post a pic comparing the two, but failed.

I just measured them. The 2012 VXR is 3 1/16" diameter and the 2014 AR190 is 2 5/8" diameter

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
o_O... good to know... :confused:. I guess you will need to educate RIVA? Thanks for sharing.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I hope I don't run into this. I just bought the Riva sleeve also. There are different models. Here are the specs from mine on torque. image.jpeg

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the diameter of your sleeve is closer to 2 5/8" than 3 1/16" you should be good. Looks like I might have over torqued the bolts. Hopefully everything will be ok though.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the diameter of your sleeve is closer to 2 5/8" than 3 1/16" you should be good. Looks like I might have over torqued the bolts. Hopefully everything will be ok though.
I don't think you are in any danger of cracking that plastic or stripping these bolts at 17ft/lbs.
BTW - I tried to compare torque values once using three different torque wrenches; the results were laughable. Stopped me obsessing about that.
JMO

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Not sure which Riva part you ordered , but the one I got installed fine. Not a fun job , but no issues.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I just assumed the 1.8 in my VXR and AR190 were the same. Do all newer 1.8's have a plastic manifold with a smaller throttle body opening?

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
2013 + should be the same.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It seems like it would reduce flow and power. The size difference is dramatic. Maybe they've made other changes to compensate for the smaller intake opening? I can't see how they could be making the same power on these motors with the plastic manifolds.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It seems like it would reduce flow and power. The size difference is dramatic. Maybe they've made other changes to compensate for the smaller intake opening? I can't see how they could be making the same power on these motors with the plastic manifolds.
I agree - this is very strange...

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So RIVA is going to provide me with the correct sleeve, no charge. Even though I opened the existing one. What a great company.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a picture comparing the two ribbons.

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys are you all saying the entire manafold is plastic? If so, is this on the 1.8l na engines?
20160427_172832.jpg
1.8l sho

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I thought he was talking about the plastic the ribbon sits in.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, the entire manifold is plastic. The manifold pictured above looks like the forced induction manifold. The 1.8L NA manifold has the opening for the throttle body on the end of the manifold.

Here's a picture.

Last edited:

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I received the proper part from Riva and it's now installed properly. Ah, I feel better now!