• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ridesteady review and "tuning" questions

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got my Ridesteady from the groupbuy installed around Memorial Day this year (not in time to get my discount on install pictures sadly :( ). Once installed it's been a tough season to find time, but I finally got to test it out this past weekend.

First off......This thing is totally a "marriage saver". Wife was able to launch, maintain speed, and adjust speed quickly and easily. As well as turn the system on/off quickly and easily. User interface for just operation is super simple. Finding now that I like to skate FAR slower than I thought I did. Had it initially set to 18.0mph, finished the day with it set at 16.7mph. Slower speed just felt better on the board, new data for me, and it's not what I've been telling others here for years.......sorry about that guys!

Secondarily, I'm using it for cruising more than I expected. I can set it to 30mph, and the boat will handle that speed pretty well, even with a good load, and there is room both up and down the throttle range for the controller to adjust and hold speed. I tried it last night on the river and found that the waves required more control from me, but that's OK. Smooth water cruising is pretty easy. Not that it was hard before, but this just makes it easier, and I'm not worried about throttle slipping back because the binnacle is at WOT, and Ridesteady is controlling it back.

Installation was pretty straight forward. I got the air and water temp sensors, and only have the air temp sensor now, I haven't put the water temp sensor on yet. Need to find some time in the garage to both run the wires, as well as drill holes and cover back over. The rest of the install was pretty easy. It's all plug and play, the instructions are pretty straightforward, and the included cables are plenty long enough. There is a generous supply of zip ties and screws to hold things in place. I did have to modify the dash panel slightly to remove a small "clocking tab" from the dash to allow the gage to slip into place. It was covered in the instructions and a dremel made quick work of it. Old speedo is just zip-tied to the wire harness behind the dash. No ill effects there yet. Not sure if I can disconnect it and remove, or if it needs to stay there. Instructions didn't say, so I left it.

Now, my question is on the "tuning" of the response.

Say I have a set point of 17mph. From a 2mph slow crawl forward (basically idle speed in FWD), I hammer down to WOT with the throttle. Boat accelerates hard and overshoots BAD. Like upwards of 23mph before it starts to dial back to set speed. I'm here to tell you, 23mph on a wakeskate is NOT great. I've found a few settings, but am not 100% certain which one to change. I messed with a few of them, but didn't really notice any difference with changes +/- 20% on those values. What do I need to change to get this thing to "catch" the speed on the way up a little quicker?!?!

I tested last night with a set point of around 9.5mph. From a 1mph forward, it shot to almost 17mph before it dialed back slowly to 9.5mph.

Boat is a '17 AR190 (single, non-supercharged 1.8L). I've sealed the intake tunnel, and have an L13 cone with all but 1 spacer installed. With 3 adults and 2 kids and a dog aboard I was able to hammer the gas and not get even a little cavitation, so traction isn't the issue. Never hit the rev limiter, and it accelerates very nicely. Enough power to pull the rope out of the boarders hands fairly easily, so I don't think that's the issue. I really think the response needs to be faster to "catch" the set point sooner as the overspeed isn't great for beginners. I'm well experienced and can handle the overspeed (don't like it, but not dangerous for me), but the others were VERY afraid of the speed.

Anyone have any input? @swatski @Ridesteady You guys know?

*edit*
Just realized I can't find my "after" installation pictures. I'll take some more to share here. It really is a sharp looking setup. 100% matches with the factory tachometer, and looks exceptionally clean in terms of the installation. I'm super pleased in that aspect! Was out past dark last night, and even the backlighting is appropriately matched. VERY VERY clean look. If someone didn't know better they could easily think it was a factory installation!!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That "Marriage Saver" phrase has been copyrighted by the trim tab guys. LOL

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally got my Ridesteady from the groupbuy installed around Memorial Day this year (not in time to get my discount on install pictures sadly :( ). Once installed it's been a tough season to find time, but I finally got to test it out this past weekend.

First off......This thing is totally a "marriage saver". Wife was able to launch, maintain speed, and adjust speed quickly and easily. As well as turn the system on/off quickly and easily. User interface for just operation is super simple. Finding now that I like to skate FAR slower than I thought I did. Had it initially set to 18.0mph, finished the day with it set at 16.7mph. Slower speed just felt better on the board, new data for me, and it's not what I've been telling others here for years.......sorry about that guys!

Secondarily, I'm using it for cruising more than I expected. I can set it to 30mph, and the boat will handle that speed pretty well, even with a good load, and there is room both up and down the throttle range for the controller to adjust and hold speed. I tried it last night on the river and found that the waves required more control from me, but that's OK. Smooth water cruising is pretty easy. Not that it was hard before, but this just makes it easier, and I'm not worried about throttle slipping back because the binnacle is at WOT, and Ridesteady is controlling it back.

Installation was pretty straight forward. I got the air and water temp sensors, and only have the air temp sensor now, I haven't put the water temp sensor on yet. Need to find some time in the garage to both run the wires, as well as drill holes and cover back over. The rest of the install was pretty easy. It's all plug and play, the instructions are pretty straightforward, and the included cables are plenty long enough. There is a generous supply of zip ties and screws to hold things in place. I did have to modify the dash panel slightly to remove a small "clocking tab" from the dash to allow the gage to slip into place. It was covered in the instructions and a dremel made quick work of it. Old speedo is just zip-tied to the wire harness behind the dash. No ill effects there yet. Not sure if I can disconnect it and remove, or if it needs to stay there. Instructions didn't say, so I left it.

Now, my question is on the "tuning" of the response.

Say I have a set point of 17mph. From a 2mph slow crawl forward (basically idle speed in FWD), I hammer down to WOT with the throttle. Boat accelerates hard and overshoots BAD. Like upwards of 23mph before it starts to dial back to set speed. I'm here to tell you, 23mph on a wakeskate is NOT great. I've found a few settings, but am not 100% certain which one to change. I messed with a few of them, but didn't really notice any difference with changes +/- 20% on those values. What do I need to change to get this thing to "catch" the speed on the way up a little quicker?!?!

I tested last night with a set point of around 9.5mph. From a 1mph forward, it shot to almost 17mph before it dialed back slowly to 9.5mph.

Boat is a '17 AR190 (single, non-supercharged 1.8L). I've sealed the intake tunnel, and have an L13 cone with all but 1 spacer installed. With 3 adults and 2 kids and a dog aboard I was able to hammer the gas and not get even a little cavitation, so traction isn't the issue. Never hit the rev limiter, and it accelerates very nicely. Enough power to pull the rope out of the boarders hands fairly easily, so I don't think that's the issue. I really think the response needs to be faster to "catch" the set point sooner as the overspeed isn't great for beginners. I'm well experienced and can handle the overspeed (don't like it, but not dangerous for me), but the others were VERY afraid of the speed.

Anyone have any input? @swatski @Ridesteady You guys know?

*edit*
Just realized I can't find my "after" installation pictures. I'll take some more to share here. It really is a sharp looking setup. 100% matches with the factory tachometer, and looks exceptionally clean in terms of the installation. I'm super pleased in that aspect! Was out past dark last night, and even the backlighting is appropriately matched. VERY VERY clean look. If someone didn't know better they could easily think it was a factory installation!!
Thanks for the detailed write-up and kind words @2kwik4u !

The short answer to your question is, don't push the throttle lever all the way to WOT if you want less overshoot. Ridesteady takes over as you approach the set speed (adjustable per user, default 1 MPH below the set speed). If your engine has full throttle, you'll have a lot of momentum and will shoot past the set speed and it will then settle out.

You only need to push the throttle lever a little more than is needed to maintain a particular set speed. You're welcome to use more throttle than that (for example to avoid the throttle lever slipping back), but you may get more initial overshoot.

The "overshoot" parameter (adjustable per user) is a simple fixed throttle reduction that occurs when Ridesteady takes over. You can increase this number to increase the throttle reduction. So, in your case, you'd want to increase this number.

The "response" parameter sets the aggressiveness of the control system. If you increase this, it will be quicker to come back down, but may not be as smooth (i.e. it would be better for more heavily loaded setups).