• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rim/Tire questions... I am clueless...

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dad noticed my tires are looking dry rotted-so I guess I'm in the process of changing out the tires on my 2008 MFI trailer. I've been wanting new wheels so might as well change them now too...
It currently has 205/75/14 wheels.

Now for the questions -

Can I move to a 15" wheel? Do I have to reduce the size of the tire then?
What does load range mean and what should I be looking for?
How do I tell the bolt pattern of the wheel?
And lastly is there a website that is recommended?
I've been to Bass Pro and a couple other places but not finding anything that really catches my eye...
Any/all help is appreciated - I really am clueless about tires. Educate me :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't help with the technical questions but take a looks at etrailer.com . Also if you have the shiny Crome rims (not the galvanized versions) for your mfi trailer, let me know if you want to sell them and for how much including shipping to CA. I'd like to replace all five of my Galvanized rims but four would do.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also if you have the shiny Crome rims (not the galvanized versions) for your mfi trailer, let me know
Unfortunately I have the dull galvanized rims (one of the main reasons for wanting to change them out)
Thanks for the etrailer.com tip though

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can always paint your galvanized rims with chrome paint, I did mine and they've help up well. I first primed mine with self etching primer (purchase at an auto part store) then used chrome paint.

Chrome rims.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MrWizard thanks for the quick reply.

@Andy S thank you as well. I've already painted my galvanized trailer and rims with truck bed liner and am happy with it, good since taking it off would be a real PITA. I bought rim covers as well which I'm also happy with but would go with a nice set of stock non galvanized rims if I could do so without breaking the bank.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have just been researching that. The MFI trailer times are 14" 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern with zero offset. Actually that is the spec for a regular trailer rim. You can go to a 15" rim and it will only increase the overall diameter about .75" which will fit on my 2008 MFI. It is difficult finding a quality tire. The good ones are not sold in Canada. So far I have done nothing. Cam.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @KXCam22 for the info! It's appreciated! Good luck with your search!

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couple of questions...

1. Do trailer tires need balanced?
2. What do I do about the center cap? I believe it would need to be left open?
3. I'm assuming that I'll need a radial tire... Are there other kinds?

Again, I'm clueless.

Much thanks for any/all help

Attachments

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up getting some Maxxis M8008 radials in the stock size. Not easily found in Canada but did find some that a local shop could order in. I asked for balancing but of course they forgot. Seems smooth enough. They claimed that they never balance trailer tires but I would think it would reduce vibration wear on the boat and trailer. I still may go back and get them to do it. There is no center cap as it needs to be open to grease the hubs. You can have center caps they just need to be open in the center. Cam.