• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Riva Tune on TR1 engines?

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Riva has a tune that can get our fsh 210 to 8400 rpms.... please convince me why l should not do it.. jet skies are seen a good improvement in terms of speeds...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Riva has a tune that can get our fsh 210 to 8400 rpms.
You would need to re-pitch the impellers to see those kinds of RPM numbers (to get ANY increase in speed).
And then - you would need to work on the hole shot as it could get bad, not to mention it would not be ideal for water sports.

EDIT: The RIVA tunes are great, for better throttle response (big difference) and some power just not for top speed (in N/A engines). If you want more top speed, it will cost decreased performance of something else.

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Engineers designed the redline to keep all the engines alive, including the ones built of the Friday of a 3 days weekend. Just hope you don't have one of those! I've been efi tuning for a decade and I'm incredibly distrustful of most tuners.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Engineers designed the redline to keep all the engines alive, including the ones built of the Friday of a 3 days weekend. Just hope you don't have one of those! I've been efi tuning for a decade and I'm incredibly distrustful of most tuners.
That is generally true, I believe. But with Riva/V-tech - their track record in Seadoo and Yamaha skis is just basically good/solid, as far as of the shelf/canned tunes. I have never heard of any issues, and there is literally thousands of skis running those tunes.
No one tunes MR-1s.
The 1.8 tunes you can get are generally extremely conservative, what they do in the N/A versions is primarily adjusting for premium gas and fixing the throttle response curve - which is smooth compared to factory, the difference is striking - when moving the throttles.
I have been running their tunes with the Maptuner X and love the system. I hardly ever switch back to the backup/factory settings, only when there is no premium gas available. Takes about 4-5min total.

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't trust them in particular, just pretty much everyone. I've heard this story 1000x. I had a customer think he should have had more power. He flew out the "master tuner". Made less than 15hp more (13:1, na, 2v, 4.6 ford) than my 370whp. He couldn't keep the car from stalling. Customer worked with him until he gave up and sent me his "power" tune. Customer requested i load his timing vs mine against my recommendation (3°more). Engine blew up a year later. This was the master that everyone raves about, on a very common platform with lots of knowledge on the net. I would guess that the Yamaha ecu that have been hacked have less than 10% of the parameters that the tooner can see or adjust. The only way i would ever even contemplate trying their tune would be on an engine dyno, and only if i was adding boost or something that requires a tune. Not knocking this company that i have no knowledge of, just most every tuner!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't trust them in particular, just pretty much everyone. I've heard this story 1000x. I had a customer think he should have had more power. He flew out the "master tuner". Made less than 15hp more (13:1, na, 2v, 4.6 ford) than my 370whp. He couldn't keep the car from stalling. Customer worked with him until he gave up and sent me his "power" tune. Customer requested i load his timing vs mine against my recommendation (3°more). Engine blew up a year later. This was the master that everyone raves about, on a very common platform with lots of knowledge on the net. I would guess that the Yamaha ecu that have been hacked have less than 10% of the parameters that the tooner can see or adjust. The only way i would ever even contemplate trying their tune would be on an engine dyno, and only if i was adding boost or something that requires a tune. Not knocking this company that i have no knowledge of, just most every tuner!
ooookay...

--

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
WTH?

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Riva has a tune that can get our fsh 210 to 8400 rpms.... please convince me why l should not do it.. jet skies are seen a good improvement in terms of speeds...
Hey @HABANEROTE, I have several friends that have done the upgrade on their skis TR1 motors and they love it thought it does not increase the performance as much as they claim but it does increase it. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether it will void your Yamaha Warranty, otherwise I would go for it.

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Jgorm. I unfortunately have the one they built at 3:30 PM on that Friday :(:(

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is generally true, I believe. But with Riva/V-tech - their track record in Seadoo and Yamaha skis is just basically good/solid, as far as of the shelf/canned tunes. I have never heard of any issues, and there is literally thousands of skis running those tunes.
No one tunes MR-1s.
The 1.8 tunes you can get are generally extremely conservative, what they do in the N/A versions is primarily adjusting for premium gas and fixing the throttle response curve - which is smooth compared to factory, the difference is striking - when moving the throttles.
I have been running their tunes with the Maptuner X and love the system. I hardly ever switch back to the backup/factory settings, only when there is no premium gas available. Takes about 4-5min total.

--
Just out of pure curiosity, why no mr1 tunes?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just out of pure curiosity, why no mr1 tunes?
Hacking into those ECUs - not an issue. There is just not much that anyone can do to make those MR-1HOs better.
It's almost funny, even Group K publications on Yamaha boats' performance mods, they could do very very little with those engines.
I have heard opinions that the real reason Yamaha stopped putting those in boats was not the EPA consideration they cited but rather production costs, those engines use very expensive/extremely well made components. Also why there are virtually no legitimate aftermarket performance upgrade parts, as there is virtually no room for improvement. That's what I've heard anyway.

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Possible. I wish ther had a temporary over rev condition. My 04 r1 made 180hp with these engines.