• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax 200 supercharger upgrade? Scarab 195 HO

RustyBucketBay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a jetboat. would really like to get a good condition Challenger 180 SP, few and far between in Ontario.

There is a 200HP 2014 Scarab 195 HO for sale, all research says not to bother and only consider the 250HP version. However in the 2nd hand market you don't get to pick and choose everything.

So I wonder if it's possible to modify/tune/upgrade the supercharger to get 250HP out of the rotax engine, has anyone done this and if so what was involved and ball park costs?

I searched here and google apologies if this has come up before.
my main thoughts are 200HP will be fine with family and young kids, but if after a couple of years I found its get up and go lack luster can I modify it?

Cheers,
Rusty

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Bought myself a 2011 Challenger 180SE last year (215HP) and its been fine. I can knock anybody off a tube. its no 60mph boat, but ive never found it underpowered. for a single engine, its plenty fine.

As for upgrades, you might want to look in the direction of an ECU remap or tune. might give you the most additional HP per dollar spent.

BTW, where are you boating out of? id let you take mine for a test if youre close by.

RustyBucketBay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Miitch thats a generous offer. I’m in the TO area but wouldn’t trouble you right now. Have you ever had 4 adults in the boat and another being towed, how’d does it handle that situation up onto plane? Tbh I’m not worried about the difference between top speed 200hp vs 250hp. More about the hole shot and up to plane.

I get the impression from the 250hp scarab crowd that has some ting to do with the sea-doo 180 basically spiritual successor but a little longer (maybe heavier) and a little less power hence the doubts being cast.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The most i have had is 4 people total (while tubing) three in boat, and one being pulled. Usually with larger groups, everybody just wants to hangout and relax. Hole shot, its still not sluggish. ive pinned it from zero to full throttle and she took off. Heavier people in the boat too. I cant imagine a fifth would make much of a difference. I tell everyone to sit in the rear seats, makes turning response almost immediate. As long as you keep remembering that this is a single engine, small boat, youre fine. Twins would obviously outperform me, but i can still compete.

The sea doo 180 is as im sure you know, smaller than the scarab 195. Shorter by about 1.5 feet (sea doo is 17' 7" scarab is 18' 10"). because of this, id reckon the 255HP engine youd find in a sea doo would probably outperform the 250HP engine youd find in a scarab, but it would be tough to notice i think. If I had a choice, i would have taken the scarab for looks alone. Budget at the time just didnt allow it though.

Boat will be in the water May 24 weekend! if you ever find yourself in the Niagara Region after that, give me a shout! happy to help!

Scarab16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
The main different between the 200hp and 250 HP is the Intercooler. You can buy the intercooler to make it 250HP I believe about $400 bucks US. There's also the Re-map and a few other mods you can make. You can join the Scarab facebook group and look up Ramses Betancourt. He has done some great upgrades through JL performance.