• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax Technical specs

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Just bought a chaparral VR 223 and importing it to France.. for registration i need to know the bore and stroke of the Rotax 150hp engine. Unable to find it anywhere on the web. Any leads would be gratefully received !

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
100mm bore. 63.4mm stroke.

Which strikes me as kinda odd.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
thats great.. many thanks !

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I guess veedbubtek should answer but my understanding of his comment was that typically you would expect the bore to be longer than the stroke, not the other way round

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There are advantages to running an "over-square" engine and also an "under-square".

I don't really find it odd, but I can certainly understand going with a longer stroke vs bore as smaller bores are typically less prone to detonation. Something that forced induction engines are certainly prone to. On the other hand, when you run a larger bore, you can fit larger valves. The shorter stroke will keep pistons speeds down (compared to a longer stroke) as rpms increase.

I have to guess that BRP found the large bore/short stroke formula to be most advantageous when compared to the under-square design. Like I said, it definitely has its disadvantages. Noise (high rpms), lack of low rpm torque, etc.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Possibly this arises from Rotax's aero engine heritage .. higher revs and lower package space may be an advantage there.. The lower package space seems also to be an advantage in the Chap.. but of i agree the higher revs are a disadvantage

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing crazy, just screams high revving hp and no torque to me on paper. And, it kinda is. 143hp, 103lb/ft ish. It just doesn't perform like that. My holeshot feels like I have a pair of torque monsters back there. I honestly expected it to be closer to square. Looking through all the specs of all the different Rotax engines, they make them in all kinds of flavors it seems, including undersquare.