• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rough idle and choke out

Rdavis0207

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all, recently took my 08 sx230 out and port motor idled a little rough but then choked itself out around 5krmp. Took it mechanics and they have ran yds and swapped everything from good motor to bad one, ran compression, timing and everything under the sun. Says its getting fuel and spark just not spark at the right time. The only 2 things left are fly wheel and a sensor under the motor. So he is go na have to pull the motor. Has anyone had a similar issue? Ecm is good a d he has ram ohm test on everything and all reads out good per manual

I would start by just changing the spark plugs with new ones before I would do anything drastic. One time my starboard engine wouldn’t start, changed the plugs and boom, fixed!

I would start by just changing the spark plugs with new ones before I would do anything drastic. One time my starboard engine wouldn’t start, changed the plugs and boom, fixed!

Sparks are good and so are injections it just gets to much fuel or sparks at wrong time above or 5k

Sparks are good and so are injections it just gets to much fuel or sparks at wrong time above or 5k
But how do you know your plugs are good?

I agree with anmut, you may have spark but it's not "good" enough,
I don't know how to justify or back that up I only know MR-1's are highly sensitive to spark plugs and even members have put in new plugs only to have issues and another new set of plugs make the problem magically go away,

when you say "chokes itself out" it actually dies or runs rough ?

have you ran the boat recently without issue or is this the first time out of storage ?

Mechanics change sparks and injectors from good motor to bad one and issue replicates. It will idle but is a bit rough. It will run 3k-4k but above that it does shut down. He has swapped ecu and ohm tested everything. Compression is perfect and he said timing was good but he reset it aswell. His last 2 guesses are fly wheel which he said would be rare and the cam sensor and both of the require motor pull.

Did he also swap coils? Check all grounds?

Did he also swap coils? Check all grounds?
All coils swapped and checked and he check all possible grounds and ohm levels at multiple points. He was able to pull flywheel and (stator?) But after that he is stumped if the new ones dont resolve issue

Cam sensor in on the left rear of the valve cover, no need to pull engine for that.

you sure you don't have a bad air filter element from overfilling the oil I would see if it runs good without the element in

Swapped the flywheel and cam sensor and issue is still present. Pulled jet pump and air filter and still same issue to much fuel or not enough spark. He is giving huge discount off labor but at this point he is out of ideas and doesnt want to keep swaping parts and billing me out. Looks like im on to the next mechanic

Back