• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rough water in an AR192.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went to Lake Murray in SC and the water was brutal. I feel like I got some serious open water experience. Wife wasn't impressed and she doesn't want to go back. On top of the rough water its a 1hr 20min drive to a not so decent ramp with a tiny dock. I thought it would be a bit rough but nothing like this.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Rob9550 Lake Murray can get pretty rough. It likely would not have mattered much up there what 19ft boat you where in on windy days up there the waves get stacked right on top of each other and it makes for a tough ride unless your in a much heavier and larger boat. @Andy S lives up there and I had a lake house up there for about a year and a half and what I kind of learned was the locals up there pick there days if its windy they just dont even bother going out unless they really want to fish or something as its just a beating of a ride. My friend can up to visit with his 21ft Key West center console that he takes off shore in Charleston all the time and he even got caught on a rough day out there and said it was one of the roughest experiences he had been in.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Rob9550 I was also out on the lake today and it was one of the rougher days I've seen in awhile. Luckily it was a blah day out there or there would've been more boats on the water making it even worse. @robert843 is correct that most regular lake boaters stay off the lake during these weather conditions and also on holiday weekends which typically brings out the amateurs.

I hate to boast but my new boat handled the rough water with ease, I could run at any speed without issue. I guess size does matter which I didn't know personally until I bought my new boat.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rob, Too bad you caught a bad day and it lead to a poor experience, we had some early on which I hoped wouldn't sour my wife on boating and lake life in general. We're 2 hours away, but you're always welcome out this way.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rob, Too bad you caught a bad day and it lead to a poor experience, we had some early on which I hoped wouldn't sour my wife on boating and lake life in general. We're 2 hours away, but you're always welcome out this way.
I have thought about doing a tour of the lakes around SC and GA, I will run it by the wife and see if she is interested. I have shown her the pics that you posted before and she really likes the idea of sandy beach. I have to get a keel guard before I will beach it and few other small odds and ends. She has loved every time we have been out but today, so I am not too worried about what happened. What I didn't figure was the love she has for the FXHO. I friend brought his and she took it out for the first time. Needless to say I am now looking for used Wave runners.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
HA! Expensive trip for sure!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lake Minnetonka up here in MN can be a bitch, especially on the weekends. It's a really large lake and and there is a ton of money on the lake so when all the big cruisers come out, I get tossed around like a dingy in a hurricane. I didnt really factor that when I bought the lightest boat in it's class. My wife wont go out on the weekends any more on that lake. I still like to go out and experience the shit-show at the main tie-up spot though.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is a pretty good video of a 192 in rough water. It looks like some of the passengers could have received spinal compression injuries at one point.

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live a few minutes from Lake Murray and as others have stated you need to check the weather before going out (but this should be a good practice for anyone going boating) Lake Murray can definitely get rough but if you get the chance, go out during the week, early morning and you will see some of the best boating conditions around!

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is Lake Murray at its best!
20160531_172431.jpg
Taken from sandy beach yestetday!

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try Lake Ontario on a rough day... That will give you the open water feeling. (Or any of the great lakes for that matter)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Try Lake Ontario on a rough day... That will give you the open water feeling. (Or any of the great lakes for that matter)
Had 3' on Lake Michigan Sunday. Was fun!
We were going swimming at boaters beach so it didn't matter. We went for a cruise and oh boy a trailing vs head sea is huge difference!

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Some day I hope to cross Ontario to Canada. Go to Toronto or something. Probably in the distant future (when I get larger boat)

I have friends who have done it, the trip they take is about 50 miles across the lake

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The grwat Lakes can be super nasty but also provide shelter for smart boaters.
For example, on Sunday the wind was out of the sw. Staying near the south shore meant more like 1' waves instead of the 3' further out. If the wind was out of the north, i wouldn't have even gone out there because the waves would be more like 5-6'. Been out there once and thought it was fun for a very short time. When i stopped the boat was the only time in my life i have felt sea sick.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is Lake Murray at its best!
View attachment 37953
Taken from sandy beach yestetday!
I would love to be out there on a day like that. I am going out again this weekend but we are going to Wateree. Half the distance and I know the water won't be near as rough.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was out on Lake Tuscaloosa yesterday with Bill D and a serious storm blew up right on top of us. We made a break to the launch but it was back toward the storm. Full throttle into the wind was yielding about 35mph. Deluge of rain and lots of lightning. Had white caps even and had a wave come over the bow when we slowed down to try to communicate with Bill D. Then came the hail...

Luckily Bill D's wife knew some one on the lake nearly and we were able to tie up and ride it out. Never been out on a lake and had conditions that bad.

All that said, the boat handed fine.;)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thats every day coming in and out of the inlets
That's pretty hardcore. And I agree with your previous statement. Comparing ocean to Lakes isn't really a fair comparison. Both can be monsters but in quite different ways. I will be the first to admit I don't know jack about handling rough ocean waters. Lakes are brutal because you get attacked on all sides. I'm pretty impressed by those who are confident enough to take their 19'ers out on the Great Lakes. I've heard some pretty awesome stories that I think would have made me shat myself.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The crew of the Edmond Fitzgerald would agree. Lakes can get pretty rough!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I started out in a 17.5' Maxum bowrider on Lake Wallenpaupack. I remember a few weekend days we had to go back to the dock after only a few minutes. I couldn't wait to get a bigger boat. Moved up to the SX210 and it made a world of difference! Wallenpauck with a lot of traffic on a windy day can get pretty intense!