• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rpm fluctuation then check engine

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tonight after being anchored for hours a quick run across the lake. The port engine started fluctuating rpms 7000 to 2000 to 7000. I throttled back slow down. The check engine light came on a minute after I came off plane and went into limp mode. Throttled port engine for a slight stream on pee holes. I shut it off and checked the cleanouts. I didnt push the plug down to see if it blew out. I just removed the ez locks and checked debris. Nothing there, so we went to the dock to put it on the trailer. While my buddy was getting the truck. I left the motors off and checked oil and felt around the impeller more. I started both motors to pull to the trailer and no cel and full thrust. Nothing looks out of sorts in the impeller or intake grates. I swapped plugs from port to starboard to see if it does it on the other motor tomorrow.

Cavitation or bad cleanouts (time for a rebuild)?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I doubt the cleanout plugs had anything to do with it

I would guess debris or maybe some water in gas after sitting it settled and sucked up in the fuel pick up when you started back

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did it go into limp mode becuase of overheat. Or some other reason?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it was an over heat i would suspect debris after being anchored

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Scottintexas, I have something similar happen after pulling a tube with lots of hard turns in a river - overheat and limp mode, then everything goes back to normal.

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I inspected the impeller, nothing there. I pulled the pump, nothing there. The air filter cover was loose is all. Checked all the connections, nothing. Checked oil yesterday and today. Smelled the oil for fuel, thought maybe a injector. What really bothers me is the rpms going up and down then check engine.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly I'd run it today and see if any symptoms return, I'm betting they won't

Debris in pump can do many odd things and while rpm fluctuations aren't the normal it's not impossible

I'm more concerned we dont know exactly why the engine light came on, you don't have a separate light for overheat?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Meanwhile

We dont have a lot of internet @PEARCE said we wouldn't he was correct. Even with all the flooding we can see about 20 feet

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I unplugged and replugged the aps on both sides no issues. Ran perfect, it was running rich before, you could smell gas. So kept pulling the dipstick to check to make sure a injector was not stuck.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that, @djetok!

That's such an odd phenomenon that it's hard to know where to begin with troubleshooting.

Was there ever ERR that showed on the Ridesteady screen, that you saw? You can also check the history under SETTINGS -> SYSTEM INFO -> NODE STATUS.

Were you using speed control in GPS or RPM mode at the time? Or did you have it in OFF mode?

When did you order your Ridesteady? Were you a part of the throttle node recall to fix the VHF interference issue? Were you transmitting on VHF, by chance?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you getting full RPM at WOT? Is your acceleration smooth from idle to full power? If not it's possible you have dirty injectors. Possibly a can of Sea Foam will clean them. It's also possible you have a stuck injector. Are there any signs of water near your ECU boxes?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that, @djetok!

That's such an odd phenomenon that it's hard to know where to begin with troubleshooting.

Was there ever ERR that showed on the Ridesteady screen, that you saw? You can also check the history under SETTINGS -> SYSTEM INFO -> NODE STATUS.

Were you using speed control in GPS or RPM mode at the time? Or did you have it in OFF mode?

When did you order your Ridesteady? Were you a part of the throttle node recall to fix the VHF interference issue? Were you transmitting on VHF, by chance?
Gps mode. I dont think it was ridesteady. It could have been a loose plug on the aps.

I was pretty early order, no vhf . The way it ran after, I unplugged and replugged. I am leaning toward a loose plug. I did turn the sync master off yesterday, with no change.

No error on ridesteady, I did look at the node and saw nothing. When I looked it was after I turned that engine off. It was one engine only. That leads me to believe it was maybe a loose connection. It was rough out there.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you getting full RPM at WOT? Is your acceleration smooth from idle to full power? If not it's possible you have dirty injectors. Possibly a can of Sea Foam will clean them. It's also possible you have a stuck injector. Are there any signs of water near your ECU boxes?
It was smooth the entire time, it just went up and down. The fuel smell could me being ultra aware. Both engines ran like they should. Hell it could be my aps for all I know. After I unplugged and plugged it back there were no issues. Up until I finally got the code to show , I thought it was over heat. These mr1 motors dont pee until you get above 3k rpm.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, that is one curious issue! Most of the signals of the APS sensor are monitored by Ridesteady, and should show an error if they get out of range.

The smoothness of the fluctuation is also puzzling. Originally I thought perhaps a wire came loose, but the effects of that would likely be pretty immediate and would result in a check engine light pretty quickly.

If it happens again (hopefully it won't), see if you can take the cover off the throttle node and see if you see any water in there or anything out of order. Perhaps a gremlin got wet or something...

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, that is one curious issue! Most of the signals of the APS sensor are monitored by Ridesteady, and should show an error if they get out of range.

The smoothness of the fluctuation is also puzzling. Originally I thought perhaps a wire came loose, but the effects of that would likely be pretty immediate and would result in a check engine light pretty quickly.

If it happens again (hopefully it won't), see if you can take the cover off the throttle node and see if you see any water in there or anything out of order. Perhaps a gremlin got wet or something...
Ok. My boat stays very dry. Maybe me just unplugging and replugging cleared it. Thanks for the help as always. @Ridesteady

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

We were out all weekend with no issues since I removed the plug and reseated it. Maybe the installer didn't get it completely seated when I err the installer connected it and it just finally loosened up to interrupt signal.