• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rub Rail LED

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone had any experience with the rub rail LED light strips? Wondering if they are still durable enough to last a while? I don't really hit anything hard with my rub rail but you just never know. They look pretty cool at night though!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't know about functionality but it looks cool..
Yeah I think its just the cool factor. They can be expensive holy cow! I just got an estimate for 900 dollars!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Personally, I would stay away from that.

The rub rail is not only the boats last line of impact defense, it is also the seam between the two major parts of the hull (cockpit tub on top & hull portion on bottom). As such, I would not want to do optional work on that seam as the downside to any problems there could be very big, indeed.

Just my opinion. Carry on.

PS: That does look sharp

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, the one I got an estimate on was for the LED's under the rub rail. Apparently most of that cost is installation because they said its one PITA to get it right. If its a pain for a professional I can't imagine trying to tackle that myself. Hard pass!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A 16' roll of waterproof, adhesive LED strip sells for $7 to $25. You would need three or four rolls. A longer roll would make it even easier.

I can not see how it would be difficult to clean below the rub rail and then stick it on. I would bring power to the LED strip near the transom and connect strips together until you wrap entirely around the boat.

Personally I would not want that much illumination but it should be easy to do and materials should not be more than $150.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah agreed. Again just a cool factor. I have purchased the waterproof strips from amazon and know the quality of them. I would say its not something i would want to stick on the outside of my boat. I have seen where they have nearly started fires because of crummy quality. Certainly not going to do this but kind of neat anyways.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah agreed. Again just a cool factor. I have purchased the waterproof strips from amazon and know the quality of them. I would say its not something i would want to stick on the outside of my boat. I have seen where they have nearly started fires because of crummy quality. Certainly not going to do this but kind of neat anyways.
Interesting, which part overheated? I have experienced a controller that let its smoke out after a few minutes of usage but I have had good experience with the LED strips. I have RGB LED strips in my cupholders on the boat and I am using high output white LED strips to illuminate my basement server room. The strips in the server room are stuck to wood with staples assisting the adhesive and have not caused any problems.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wouldn't put it on the rub rail at any cost. If you want the cool factor, put it just above and along the rub rail and as @Bruce said terminate it at the stern. Do both sides separately as that length will have some drop in voltage 50' at the end of the line. I have considered doing this for our gatherings before.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bruce I will see if I can dig up a couple pictures. I havent had it happen either and have LED strips on the swim platform seat backs. I also use them as undercounter lighting in the kitchen. I do keep a very close eye on them though especially after i saw the pictures of them failing.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of course, would not be able to use them while running. Makes it impossible to see the navigation lights... I saw someone running with them once--totally blinded my night vision and couldn't see anything of his nav lights.

So, not very practical in my mind, but yes, it does look cool at anchor.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It should go without saying, but @tdonoughue is right, sometimes someone just doesn't know the rules of the water or doesn't consider the added lighting in regard to it. It is totally blinding and illegal to run with anything but your navigation and white all around light on. But at anchor, it kind of defeats the purpose of the anchor light, but there is no doubt that you can be seen easily! Any added lighting, external or internal, is really not intended to be on when the boat is underway. Internally will kill your own night vision, and externally kills everyone else's! Even internally can destroy the light from your navigation and white anchor all around light and make it impossible to determine if your moving and which way, or anchored. All of these light mods are intended, on an open cockpit or bow boat, to be when anchored or moored only.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Of course, would not be able to use them while running. Makes it impossible to see the navigation lights... I saw someone running with them once--totally blinded my night vision and couldn't see anything of his nav lights.

So, not very practical in my mind, but yes, it does look cool at anchor.
Totally agree! This crap is one of my biggest pet peevs on the lake. Chowder heads running at night with docking lights on!!!! Urrrggghhh! The worst violaters are the poon-toon knuckle heads.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you ever run into one of these on the lake at night? They light up our bedrooms that are 120' above water level like it was daylight!

image.jpeg

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Have you ever run into one of these on the lake at night? They light up our bedrooms that are 120' above water level like it was daylight!

View attachment 33694
I've seen boats like that on table rock lake, I think they're out giggin frogs... They're lit up like a baseball field on the water.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are used for bow hunting catfish, gar and carp in my area. They go after huge fish that they waste after killing them. Sometimes they give them to farmers for fertilizer.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They are used for bow hunting catfish, gar and carp in my area. They go after huge fish that they waste after killing them. Sometimes they give them to farmers for fertilizer.
Yea, I figured bow fishing but giggin frogs sounded cooler.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 33694
Plenty of that going on here in Missourah. See them on the Meramec river all the time. Can't say it is my cup of tea.
I do like spearfishing though, and done some free-diving for walleye in Bull Shoals Lake, AR.