• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ruined bimini top - Cautionary tale

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so i took my boat on its first trip a couple of weeks ago, a long weekend at lake bruin in st joseph, la. we wanted to leave for home early sunday morning, so i trailered the boat saturday evening, let it dry out a bit then put the cover on in the dark late saturday night. what i failed to do was take down and stow the bimini top. EXPENSIVE MISTAKE. by the time i realized the bimini was still deployed, maybe 50 miles down the road it was ruined. a big tear on the port side near the mounting brackets wasn't the worst of it. when i saw that i figured i would just limp thru the rest of the summer, then replace the canvas during the winter. but when i deployed the top this past weekend on the lake it became apparent that at least the front support pipes in the awning (the ones that run fore and aft) are bent, and if they are bent i fear for the remainder. i figure i'll just buck up and order the whole awning and canvas set and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

DON'T FORGET TO TAKE DOWN YOUR BIMINI TOP BEFORE YOU GET ON THE ROAD!!

Ouch!!!! sometimes stuff happens we all have been there.

so i took my boat on its first trip a couple of weeks ago, a long weekend at lake bruin in st joseph, la. we wanted to leave for home early sunday morning, so i trailered the boat saturday evening, let it dry out a bit then put the cover on in the dark late saturday night. what i failed to do was take down and stow the bimini top. EXPENSIVE MISTAKE. by the time i realized the bimini was still deployed, maybe 50 miles down the road it was ruined. a big tear on the port side near the mounting brackets wasn't the worst of it. when i saw that i figured i would just limp thru the rest of the summer, then replace the canvas during the winter. but when i deployed the top this past weekend on the lake it became apparent that at least the front support pipes in the awning (the ones that run fore and aft) are bent, and if they are bent i fear for the remainder. i figure i'll just buck up and order the whole awning and canvas set and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

DON'T FORGET TO TAKE DOWN YOUR BIMINI TOP BEFORE YOU GET ON THE ROAD!!
how much was it and where did you order it? messed mine up too poles are all bent

Did it come with all the poles too? what about the case/boot it zips up in?

It’s definitely all the poles and canvas, not certain about the boot. If you look up your part on Partzilla they have schematics and lists of what’s included. I feel like the boot was included.

I've got a 2010 242 and ordered one for it two years back. It came with the poles, bimini, and boot/sock to zip it all up with straps sewn in to secure it to the tower. Only thing I had to get seperate was the two screws that secure it to the tower. Wow is all of that stupid $$$ (ref: the cost only to be clear)....but use it everytime we go out. Thinking of getting sunbrella one made with zippers where there are none so I can just take the whole thing on/off instead of leaving it on the boat.

Last edited:
Just be mindful of the (canvas) color. Each color has a different part number. Some years have only one color, others more. You can cross reference the part numbers/colors on Google or eBay, where these are also sold. I had had good luck with Partzilla in the past so used them and they did not disappoint. Everything was new and perfect. Good luck!

Thanks Everyone - $150 for one tiny pole piece, $300 for boot only and $300 for canvas only, seems like a no brainer to get everything for $800

Thanks Everyone - $150 for one tiny pole piece, $300 for boot only and $300 for canvas only, seems like a no brainer to get everything for $800
Sounds like the right way to go. I almost made this same mistake myself once when coming out of lake when sun was beginning to set.....shortly after buying it! Would have really sucked buying two in one season. I just need to find someone who can make me one with zippers and better material so canvas will last longer. Good luck!

Back