• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rule 500 Bilge Pump -Factory installed pump failure/replacement

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Out the other day and the bilge pump wouldn't pump or turn on, but had power to the helm switch. Nothing stuck just locked up, pretty sad for a 4 year old boat.
So, what do I do but replace it with another Rule::winkingthumbsup"

Rule 500 GPH 25SA Electronic Sensing Bilge Pump-500
Learn more: Amazon.com : Rule 500 GPH 25SA Electronic Sensing Bilge Pump-500 : Sports & Outdoors

Our (2016) original pump had a 2 wire lead connection and this one came with a 3 wire setup. Manual (brown), Automatic (brown and white), and Negative (black). I never felt comfortable having the bilge pump switch on for the pump to run automatic and when you switched it off, it was really off. I don't moore normally, just trailer. During week long vacations it was in the water the switch was on all week, didn't seem right.
I connected the automatic side to my 12v distribution panel, so when I turn the main power on its on auto (senses every 2 1/2 min for water) then connected the manual to the original lead to the helm switch, so now I have a manual option (full on). This option I like, so when I'm cruising and water level rises for auto to kick on, the light on the dash switch lights and lets me know its pumping even though the helm switch is technically "off". Pretty Nice..worked out well. After having the scare of being out on the water with no bilge and reading within the fabulous forum, I decided to install a secondary bilge just next to the factory thru hull transducer:

SEAFLO Submersible Automatic Bilge Pump with Float Switch (750GPH, 12V)
by GK Wholesale www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2F9QZ5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_9XLbFbJ1X0VCE

I have this pump strictly on automatic with its internal float switch. It was easy to install just ran another 3/4" tubing to an additional outlet next to the engine water pissers..

Hope this helps anyone that has to replace the original and thinking about adding a second one. If I didn't have my Tsunami ballast pump with me, I would have been self bailing, cause I dumped some of my center floor locker ballast into the bilge..

Happy Boating!

858802B1-3289-4391-8BC3-D79B040EDDAA.jpegE375E435-118C-44CC-A7FE-BECC6CF91FB2.jpeg00FB3A9B-62F4-4069-B9BE-183C15FC646C.jpeg60164299-9EC7-412D-B4A6-9B412ABB2AB8.jpegA6FD52D8-70D9-4107-AE2F-8114AAED6B00.jpeg

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up.
I have “add a second pump” on my list of things to do, even have most of the parts to do the install. My thought was similar to yours, install it in the bilge.

A few questions, as it appears we have similar hulls. 21ft (‘12-‘16) To do this project, did you have to remove the clean out port panel? Also did you remove a water box? Do you recall how long your run was for the tubing? Is it rather straightforward to get the tubing from the bilge to the starboard compartment to run to the thru hull fitting?

I also like your solution with how you rewired the replacement pump.

zrcrazy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out the other day and the bilge pump wouldn't pump or turn on, but had power to the helm switch. Nothing stuck just locked up, pretty sad for a 4 year old boat.
So, what do I do but replace it with another Rule::winkingthumbsup"

Rule 500 GPH 25SA Electronic Sensing Bilge Pump-500
Learn more: Amazon.com : Rule 500 GPH 25SA Electronic Sensing Bilge Pump-500 : Sports & Outdoors

Our (2016) original pump had a 2 wire lead connection and this one came with a 3 wire setup. Manual (brown), Automatic (brown and white), and Negative (black). I never felt comfortable having the bilge pump switch on for the pump to run automatic and when you switched it off, it was really off. I don't moore normally, just trailer. During week long vacations it was in the water the switch was on all week, didn't seem right.
I connected the automatic side to my 12v distribution panel, so when I turn the main power on its on auto (senses every 2 1/2 min for water) then connected the manual to the original lead to the helm switch, so now I have a manual option (full on). This option I like, so when I'm cruising and water level rises for auto to kick on, the light on the dash switch lights and lets me know its pumping even though the helm switch is technically "off". Pretty Nice..worked out well. After having the scare of being out on the water with no bilge and reading within the fabulous forum, I decided to install a secondary bilge just next to the factory thru hull transducer:

SEAFLO Submersible Automatic Bilge Pump with Float Switch (750GPH, 12V)
by GK Wholesale www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2F9QZ5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_9XLbFbJ1X0VCE

I have this pump strictly on automatic with its internal float switch. It was easy to install just ran another 3/4" tubing to an additional outlet next to the engine water pissers..

Hope this helps anyone that has to replace the original and thinking about adding a second one. If I didn't have my Tsunami ballast pump with me, I would have been self bailing, cause I dumped some of my center floor locker ballast into the bilge..

Happy Boating!

View attachment 125348View attachment 125349View attachment 125352View attachment 125353View attachment 125354
Can you send pictures where are you tied to 12 V power two for auto activation

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sure give me a day or so....

zrcrazy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, just put the brown and brown and white together to positive (factory brown) and black to black and everything works as factory… 👍🏻

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, just put the brown and brown and white together to positive (factory brown) and black to black and everything works as factory… 👍🏻
So, I was actually wondering about doing this but it contradicts the installation guide. I was afraid to do this but it makes sense and it should work. Honestly, I was hesitant about the computer control issues. Did you actually do this and it worked or are you offering a suggestion?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Every season multiple boats have the engine bilge fill with water. Cheap and simple water alarms are a must have with these boats. I ordered a 3 pack on Amazon for around $25.00 includes 9v batteries still have the original from 4 years ago gave one to a friend and have a back up. Simple install with zip ties hang the sensor 2 inches above the bilge pick up. If it rings you know way ahead of time something needs to be dealt with.