• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Run-away trailer? Nope, run-away brakes

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I have a 2006 Karavan galvanized trailer built for a 20’ Seadoo Utopia. PO replaced the axle with a Dexter unit which appears sized right at 3.5k. But, they stripped the surge braking system. All that appears left is the actuator hitch, and it’s internals don’t seem to be in good condition. where do I go from here? Don’t have long haul, high speed plans in the near future, but hate to have the trailer in disrepair. Do I rebuild the stock surge system or go some other way? Honestly, looking for economical, practicable option, not the high performance option. Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.

Attachments

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have the need with your current towing rig to have the extra breaking advantage of surge breaks? If your hauling a 4000lbs boat with an f250 i dont think its going to be a problem. Over half the pepole i know with trailer brakes have failed in the first three years of saltwater use. Im not sure if those atcuators are user serviceable or not. Tear in to it and find out. Maybey do a rebuild thread for us👍

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend that you rebuild the surge brake system, especially if your state requires it for your sized / weighted boat. If you have someone do it it will be over $1k. If you do it yourself it should be under $500. That is under $200 for the actuator in the tongue plus another $200 for the drums and another $100 for brake line, fluid, etc. check with e-trailer.com first (they may have install videos) but also consider pacific trailer out of San Marcos, CA.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Conveniently, I have experience with this.

You have a ufp brake actuator, the internal slide can be replaced, it's basically all the inner workings of it, you use reuse the outer shell (the rusty part on yours). They're like 300 bucks.

On mine all the lines were cut and rusted so I installed a new line set, that was like 100 bucks for tandem axle brakes (FL law requires brakes on both axles).

My trailer the axles needed replaced, as did tires, and the brake components were gone so I did a full rebuild with new axles, disc brakes, etc.

Anyways, ufp was bought by dexter and so they now sell the slides as dexter parts. They have 3 versions, one for drum, one for disc, and one for tandem disc. Not sure what the real difference is but I suspect it's line pressure - I saw references of people using the tandem one on single axles for more pressure.

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recommend that you rebuild the surge brake system, especially if your state requires it for your sized / weighted boat. If you have someone do it it will be over $1k. If you do it yourself it should be under $500. That is under $200 for the actuator in the tongue plus another $200 for the drums and another $100 for brake line, fluid, etc. check with e-trailer.com first (they may have install videos) but also consider pacific trailer out of San Marcos, CA.
Thank you. This is a very helpful reference re potential work and costs. I tend to agree, there should be a basic system installed. The price point seems good if close, and I am pretty sure I can do it myself. I just have to be sure I get all the right parts to go together.

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

You have a ufp brake actuator, the internal slide can be replaced, it's basically all the inner workings of it, you use reuse the outer shell (the rusty part on yours). They're like 300 bucks.

On mine all the lines were cut and rusted so I installed a new line set, that was like 100 bucks for tandem axle brakes (FL law requires brakes on both axles).

My trailer the axles needed replaced, as did tires, and the brake components were gone so I did a full rebuild with new axles, disc brakes, etc.

Anyways, ufp was bought by dexter and so they now sell the slides as dexter parts. They have 3 versions, one for drum, one for disc, and one for tandem disc. Not sure what the real difference is but I suspect it's line pressure - I saw references of people using the tandem one on single axles for more pressure.
Also very helpful. So maybe Dexter can guide me get getting all the right parts for a rebuild. It’s their axle and apparently now their surge coupler. I just need to ensure I get all compatible parts. Don’t mind the work. What do you think on likely cost? Seems like it might be closer to $1000 if the coupler insides are $300 alone. I have singe axle, so only two drums or disks to buy, I guess.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I did not know Florida required brakes on both axles. My Florida dealer sold me my boat in 2020 with single axel brakes, seems shady, internet confirms your statement. You ever hear of anyone getting a ticket for it? Not a project I wanted to worry about for awhile, not so much worried about the ticket as a lawsuit if something happened.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not know Florida required brakes on both axles. My Florida dealer sold me my boat in 2020 with single axel brakes, seems shady, internet confirms your statement. You ever hear of anyone getting a ticket for it? Not a project I wanted to worry about for awhile, not so much worried about the ticket as a lawsuit if something happened.
I found out from here as well. I suspect it's unlikely to get you a ticket unless you're asking for trouble, but could see it being an add on for another infraction.

Lawsuit, for sure. Some sleaze bag lawyer would love to sue because someone stopped short while cutting you off towing a trailer and argue you were negligent by not having brakes to Florida law.

Honestly, the cost to add the second axle of brakes was pretty minor overall.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also very helpful. So maybe Dexter can guide me get getting all the right parts for a rebuild. It’s their axle and apparently now their surge coupler. I just need to ensure I get all compatible parts. Don’t mind the work. What do you think on likely cost? Seems like it might be closer to $1000 if the coupler insides are $300 alone. I have singe axle, so only two drums or disks to buy, I guess.
Give etrailer a call or email, I've bought tons of stuff from them and they're awesome to work with. Prices are great too.

I wouldn't bother with drums personally. The cost difference to go disc's vs drums is really small, and disc's work a lot better.