• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Running rich, max rpm 8700ish, hard to start?

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Running rich, max rpm 8700ish, hard to start? I could see a little bit of oil spots(small) on the air filter.

Any ideas? I changed all the plugs today because the motor was only revving out to about 9k rpms last week. Seems really rich, heavy fuel smell and gas trails in the water. Gaps looked per spec.

Thanks ahead for any help!

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard -- There are some threads about the injectors sticking -- but most people find that some injector cleaner can solve that. Some other people have experienced issues with the ECU keeping an injector open. Are both engines doing this or just 1? --if you can pinpoint it to one engine, You can either use YDS to look at the injectors, or if you do not have access to one of those, you can measure the resistance across the injectors. should be 11.5 - 12.5 ohms. If you can change a spark plug, you can check the injectors. You can also swap the ECUs and see if the problem moves to the other engine, or stays the same -- which would identify if it is the ECU or an Injector.

Hope this helps. I am sure some other guys will have some ideas as well.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @ibleedgreen It sounds like you have two issues going on here, the over rich issue just doesn't happen on fuel injected engines unless something is either holding open or stuck open on an injector, as @Port0222 mentioned. The issue of even a tiny amount of oil splatter on MR-1 air filters is a killer to performance, starting, and rpm limit. So the small amount of oil could be the issue too, in that the ecm is off a good deal trying to adjust to the lack of air...and you could have flooded it trying to start it over and over. When was oil last changed? How long has this condition been like this? Have you just changed the oil and overfilled it? Oil splatter on these filters is caused by overfilling the oil. Rule of thumb, never put back in more than you take out. And it is normal to only get 1/2 of the oil in the engine out of the oil tank. A test to see if the air filter is causing the issue is to just remove the air filter and take a run to see how it runs unrestricted. These filters are about $100 each, so you don't want to ruin them! Some guys would run without them all the time, me myself, I keep them in place and take measures to prevent fouling them. Hope this helps! Once again, welcome to the forum and keep us posted!

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replys!

It's just the port side engine doing it. The oil on the air filter is very minimal, just very small speckles on one corner of it. I wouldn't think that could affect it that much.
Symptoms have only been going on for the last hour of run time. No recent oil changes, last one about 10 hours back. I think I will just switch the ECUs first and see if it swaps sides. Seems like the easiest to trouble shoot. My local shop is in my marina called JetTech felt pretty confident that it is the ECU. Glad they are super cheap lol, NOT!

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the replys!

It's just the port side engine doing it. The oil on the air filter is very minimal, just very small speckles on one corner of it. I wouldn't think that could affect it that much.
Symptoms have only been going on for the last hour of run time. No recent oil changes, last one about 10 hours back. I think I will just switch the ECUs first and see if it swaps sides. Seems like the easiest to trouble shoot. My local shop is in my marina called JetTech felt pretty confident that it is the ECU. Glad they are super cheap lol, NOT!
Welcome to the forum @ibleedgreen. If you, a local member or JetTech have the YDS software they can check the injectors without spinning a wrench.

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have any idea of Yamaha's part number to the YDS kit? I see links to ebay and all that, I just want the actual Yamaha part number to it.

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never mind, I realize now they don't sell the cheap kit anymore. $1200 for their current kit. I will just scoop one up online.

marc7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds similar to my recent experience...Since you know which motor it is, you can pull each plug until you find the fouled one...this will confirm if you have an injector hanging open as the cylinder will be full of fuel...early signs of an ECU going out is one or more injectors being in the open position. Do as others have suggested and swap the ECU's...If the problem follows you know then it's the ECU..

Cheers!

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I plan on swapping the ECUs today at lunch to see if the problem switches sides. Waiting on my Yamaha guy to get a new ECU as I feel that is the problem.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You guys with 230's don't need the current YDS. Te older one will work just fine. The trip is getting a cable if not provided. Also running on windows xp or earlier. But it can be done on the cheap. You will just have to look for them.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep reading about the yds and have always wanted to get one. I didn't know there was a new and old one. Details?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The early versions sold for around $400 thru yamahas dealer network . When they updated the version to YDIS capable, the to handle newer boats, they priced it over most DIYers. I don't keep track of it, but I read that guys buy versions up to 7.1 on eBay and elsewhere for the cost of a night out to dinner and the movies. The cable will probably be constructed of different materials, but it will probably work. It isn't a simple use diagnostic but it can be learned with desire.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see them on eBay for 65. 400 is crazy. I haven't perchased one yet because I haven't needed it yet but am curious of the amount of hours on my boat.

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So just a update, I got a new ECU through my Yamaha contacts, installed it (lots of fun!) and it corrected all the issues I was having. Ran the boat yesterday and today without any problems. Thanks

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ohm check all of your injectors as they could damage your new ECU if bad and set you back to where you just were.

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good Lord, it never ends lol. I guess I will have to check the process on that, never done it. But I have never swapped ECUs in a AR230 before this weekend either lol.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, make sure to check your oil. It's possible that the injector being stuck open got fuel into the oil and thus fouled your air cleaner (as stated in the original post). I'd change the oil anyway just to be certain because fuel in the oil could be bad for the engine.

Ps. Welcome aboard, sorry you're having issues. But glad that you found us. Good luck, keep us posted. ;)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2015-8-16_21-55-14.png

ibleedgreen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ Thanks

I ordered a couple oil kits as well to change both engines oil.

muddflap

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ohm check all of your injectors as they could damage your new ECU if bad and set you back to where you just were.
what are the ohm specs for 2005 SX230 injectors?