• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

RWD trucks at the ramp?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I couldn’t find a better place to put this and didn’t want to start a new thread, but question for the masses. Do you bother chocking your truck tires at the ramp? I got a 4WD Tundra with a AR240, ramp is salt water and it’s always slick but I’ve never had any issues. I typically unload by myself, I find it less stressful but if something were to go wrong it would probably end up bad solo.
I remember back in the day my buddies dad always chocked his 4Runner unloading and loading, figured it was just because it was small vehicle for the boat they had.
Only reason I ask is seeing all these videos and pictures of peoples truck underwater, makes me a little nervous, and it’s about that time for some new tires, but I’ve been putting it off. Doing a lot of work from home, and I’ve been taking the motorcycle on days I have to go in, about time it cools off I’m going to be spending a few months out of country so I figured tires can wait, they still got a little life in them. I only find myself in the truck to tow the boat or those days it might storm/to hot for the bike.

I can also totally see myself forgetting the chock and running it over.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve had a 4x4truck slide partially into the water. By myself, Backed trailer in(2wd) put in P, got out & it slid on the slime. Got back in, put in 4x4 & it held. Biggest thing is if tires are in the water, put it in 4wd to help hold it while in P w/ebrake engaged. Never needed 4wd to pull a boat out of the water. If I get out of the truck with it on the ramp, 4wd, ebrake & tires turned completely to direction truck would hit dock or land and not go straight into water.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always carry the chocks used for storing in the bed of the truck when the boat is hitched. There have been a couple times where conditions (slick or very steep ramp) prompted me to chock a wheel. If you encounter a very steep ramp and are not alone, having someone chock a wheel before you put it in park saves a lot of pressure on the transmission. If launching solo, I sometimes do it just for peace of mind.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
4x4 with parking brake engaged in park will lock all 4 wheels. No need for chocks. Front tires out of water will keep from back sliding

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
4x4 with parking brake engaged in park will lock all 4 wheels. No need for chocks. Front tires out of water will keep from back sliding
ya that’s what my routine, been driving trailers awhile, just not boats. I always use the parking brake. My usual ramps I can get the boat off 99% of the time without getting the rear tires wet. I try pretty hard not to, to keep the salt water from getting on the truck and baking all day.

Thanks for the replies. Might start tossing the trailer chocks in the truck when we leave the house.