• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

RWD trucks at the ramp?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I currently have a 2010 Colorado crew cab v8. Great little truck, except it's 2wd. It tows the boat fine, and even stopped it without trailer brakes pretty easily (didn't know I had no trailer brakes, but indeed I did not). Moving and will be towing the boat more than the never I did previously, and have been rather concerned about how the truck will do with it. I have never tried to launch the boat with my truck, I launched it one time and it was with a frie ds tundra, and it has been in a marina ever since.

So the question is, am I worrying about nothing? My truck has more than e ough power to yank it. Traction is the real question, and I can say the truck will easily light up the rear tires, let alone on a slippery ramp. I have toyed with the idea of trading the truck for something in an awd performance suv, but would prefer to not take on that extra expense if I don't need to.

Thoughts? Is trying to launch and retrieve my boat in a 2ad little truck asking to make it on a boat ramp fail video?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had towed, many years ago, boats all over the place with a 2 wheel drive truck Chevy S10 and a rear wheel Malibu. Only had a problem a few times, once the lake almost swallowed me up. Launch had a lot of moss on it. Got no traction and started sliding back with boat strapped on trailer. Was awful close. Another time putting in on lake Erie at the launch it was awful steep. Beyond that, use good judgement and if you don't feel comfortable at the launch, don't launch.,

Some launches you have to back up way out since it gradually slopes. When you are ready for your SUV or new Truck you will know. Be smart and safe about it.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think the situation will dictate how effective you are in that vehicle. If you don't have Positraction or a limited slip, it might be a 1 tire fire. Especially retrieving, that's where your issue will be. Personally, my brother in law has an SX230 and tows with a 2wd Ram 1500 and hasn't had many issues in FL.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I tow with a 2 wheel drive Silverado. Have towed 2 skis, a pontoon, and now an AR195. Never had an issue. But I am in Indiana and most ramps are not very steep

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You'd probably be fine on most days. A busy holiday weekend can get slick.

As I say, Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My personal experience with that truck was a 2004 Colorado Z71 and a 2008 Colorado Z71. Both were 4WD, but not auto 4, so I had to push the button to switch.

I had towed a pair of waverunners, a shuttlecraft/waverunner and then our SeaDoo X20 with those trucks. I many times would flip it to 4hi with the first two. Once we started towing the much larger 20ft SeaDoo, the tongue weight really kept the rear tires planted.

I would say the biggest issue was slippery or sand covered landings. But those trucks were just fine, your experience should be similar. Most will agree, having some power to those dry tires is money. Don't be surprised if you are shopping for a 4wd or larger vehicle in the near future with a 230 series Yamaha.

Good luck!

PS: look into trailer brakes and a 7-pin plug. Since 2008, they started putting the 7 pin plug on the Colorado due to the increase in towing capacity. That size of a trailer should have surge brakes on it, I can't imagine it not having them.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends on your ramp, your traction aids (traction control, limited slip/locking rear diff), your tires capabilities, and the angle of your right foot.

I normally have NO problems in 2wd with my truck (2015 GMC Sierra), however this Saturday was an exceptionally busy and wet ramp. Had no issues on the concrete, but the hot/wet tarmac just above the ramp was VERY slick. Still didn't HAVE to use 4wd, but clicked it over to "auto" to keep from burning any more tire off than I had to.

My BFG KO2's are garbage tires in the wet anyway, so that is more likely my problem than the ramp, truck, or RWD usage.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It does have a limited slip rear end. And since I'm going to move to Florida, it will be able to ride on summer tires which should help a bit too.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My personal experience with that truck was a 2004 Colorado Z71 and a 2008 Colorado Z71. Both were 4WD, but not auto 4, so I had to push the button to switch.

I had towed a pair of waverunners, a shuttlecraft/waverunner and then our SeaDoo X20 with those trucks. I many times would flip it to 4hi with the first two. Once we started towing the much larger 20ft SeaDoo, the tongue weight really kept the rear tires planted.

I would say the biggest issue was slippery or sand covered landings. But those trucks were just fine, your experience should be similar. Most will agree, having some power to those dry tires is money. Don't be surprised if you are shopping for a 4wd or larger vehicle in the near future with a 230 series Yamaha.

Good luck!

PS: look into trailer brakes and a 7-pin plug. Since 2008, they started putting the 7 pin plug on the Colorado due to the increase in towing capacity. That size of a trailer should have surge brakes on it, I can't imagine it not having them.
Oh my trailer DID have trailer brakes. But the previous owners apparently replaced that axle, and decided to just cut the lines rather keep trailer brakes.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It does have a limited slip rear end. And since I'm going to move to Florida, it will be able to ride on summer tires which should help a bit too.
Be aware, the G80 "Gov-Lock" in the GM rear ends likes to grenade itself under high horsepower, high rpm loads. The drag racing guys hate them because of this. For us that are going a little slower and less chaotic, they hold up pretty well. Change the rear end fluid regularly to help keep those actuators and springs in there from binding. Then be sure you don't "hit it hard" any more than you're willing to break it. Lots of HP or RPM and a sudden increase in traction will grenade the diff. Slow methodical application of power and you'll be surprised how much it helps.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Be aware that if you are a coastal boater in FL, the ramps will on occasion have sand piles either at the water level or just below based on tides/currents. This is where my BIL has issues, the trailer tires get held up in the sand and act like a wheel chock, he avoids those particular ramps that do build up.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Also you do not yank the boat out of the water like some idiots do. You ease it out and you will not break traction.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know about the other guys here, but I VERY rarely find the need to use 4wd when launching or retrieving my boat, even on slick, steep concrete ramps. A sand ramp, yes then I'll engage 4wd. Even though when I was a kid, my grandpa used his 2wd Cheyenne 10 series on sand ramps all the time and never had much trouble. The only vehicles I've seen really have a lot of problems are primarily front wheel drive.

I don't think you'll have much trouble. Just go easy and steady.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have years of launching with a 2wd limited slip diff F-150. I have only experienced one troublesome ramp in all of that time. It had algae funk on the concrete and everyone seemed to be having problems. By going very slow To avoid braking loose, I was able to make it out. Coastal launches concern me more as a low tide retrieval can be more like that. It isn’t enough forty for me to upgrade; but I did mod the truck to switch to the 4wd front valance with tow hooks, so I have a quick attach point if getting in trouble. I have also run aggressive tread tires (BFG KO2, Cooper Discover ATP and Nitto Ridge Grapplers).

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I don't know about the other guys here, but I VERY rarely find the need to use 4wd when launching or retrieving my boat, even on slick, steep concrete ramps. A sand ramp, yes then I'll engage 4wd. Even though when I was a kid, my grandpa used his 2wd Cheyenne 10 series on sand ramps all the time and never had much trouble. The only vehicles I've seen really have a lot of problems are primarily front wheel drive.

I don't think you'll have much trouble. Just go easy and steady.
Same here. Five years now towing a 21 ft and now 24 ft, launched at probably a dozen ramps and never once needed to put it in 4WD. I have a 2015 F-150 Ecoboost and all it takes is slow steady acceleration. Every time.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I will say that in the past 2 seasons using boat ramps, I have had to use the E-locker a couple times, and 4wd + locker once. It was a ramp in Florida, sand piles just where the water line was. The concrete was wet, and the trailer just wouldn’t come over those sand piles.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Using 4wd in my opinion for the ramp is ideal for putting parking brake on, it will lock your front tires on dry pavement. I have seen 2wd slide backwards when powering off the trailer if there is low tide slime under the rear wheels..

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow a 242ltd with a GMC Canyon diesel - basically you’re truck except I do have 4wd. I have trailered boats for 40 years so lots of experience. We had one very scary incident last season on a surprisingly slippery ramp. The truck started coming in the lake - my wife was driving and didn’t know how to engage 4w high. We were ok as I saw what was happening and drove the boat back against the trailer to stop the truck. Now we only use the ramp while in 4w high. A week later another truck slid all the way into the lake. The ramp is not steep - just had some very slippery growth- bottom line - you could go years without a problem but at some point you may find that exception.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Like a gun or a fire extinguisher, you may never use it but if you have to, you’ll be glad you planned ahead.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Good tires > everything else. Of course good tires, limited slip, 4x4 and a calm foot keep everything smooth. Worst case scenarios, keep a few extra beers in the truck and if you slip ask some people for help. We had to help a boat last weekend, my 300lb friend jumped in the bed and out they went.