• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sacrificial covers?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone tried using 2 covers at once? Or even just one that's extra long?

I've been toying with the idea of trying to cover the full.length down to the trailer with something inexpensive to be the sacrificial.uv layer, and then using a nicer Yamaha cover underneath and for trailering and stuff.

Thoughts? Am I better off just buying Yamaha covers more often at 600 bucks or whatever they are than sacrificing 100 ton120 dollar covers every year or two? Boat will be outside, uncovered, getting full florida no sunscreen exposure.

My biggest concern would be trapping moisture under the double cover. My parents live in south Fl and I've been to visit in Jul/Aug and it isn't just hot but the humidity is relentless and I live in Georgia.

I used two big rectangular shade sails spread over my tower to protect my mooring cover. They’re cheap on Amazon.

I just happened to have two, I’m not sure if they make one big enough to cover the whole thing.

Kind of a pain in the ass to put on but one would have been easier than two.

How often are you buying them? I had 4 years of direct sunlight on my old 210 and it still had plenty of life left when I got rid of it.

I used an old pool cover over might boat last year. I had the Yamaha cover underneath but I wanted to save 8 months of unnecessary UV on the expensive cover. Wasn't pretty but it worked and sat in my backyard where we didn't really see it. We moved this spring to a house with a bigger shop I can keep the boat in but otherwise I'd do the same thing over again.

One of my new neighbors covers his pontoon boat with an rv cover. Not the best fit for our boats but a lot less expensive than a mooring cover and one big deal bough to cove the entire boat.

IMHO all boat covers are sacrificial. I used shipping covers in the off/rainy seasons and the oem mooring cover in season. My boat sits outside all year long. I’ve found that a shipping cover will last 2 to 3 years and the morning cover about the same under these conditions. When I covers the oem mooring cover with a tarp mold would develop where the oem cover would touch the top of the seats.

given My experiences I buy used shipping and mooring covers whenever I see a good deal on them, if it’s in use it will wear out and need to be replaced, it’s just a matter of time. One thing is certain in my mind, new mooring covers are not going to get cheaperin the future, if anything they will get more expensive:

Food for thought: you cannot buy a shipping cover from yamaha, they only provide them with new boat sales and sometimes the dealer doesn’t include it in the sale. Additionally when yamaha discontinues a model it stops manufacturing the shipping cover as well. So it’s not surprising when I see used shipping covers for sale on line for $300.

Attachments

• 023E1F6B-4130-46E5-9A97-9485E7C4FF45.png
    023E1F6B-4130-46E5-9A97-9485E7C4FF45.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
I was looking up a part for a newer boat and on the “Hull Fittings” page the shipping cover was listed for purchase. I wonder if you could successfully order it?
example:

One of my new neighbors covers his pontoon boat with an rv cover. Not the best fit for our boats but a lot less expensive than a mooring cover and one big deal bough to cove the entire boat.

IMHO all boat covers are sacrificial. I used shipping covers in the off/rainy seasons and the oem mooring cover in season. My boat sits outside all year long. I’ve found that a shipping cover will last 2 to 3 years and the morning cover about the same under these conditions. When I covers the oem mooring cover with a tarp mold would develop where the oem cover would touch the top of the seats.

given My experiences I buy used shipping and mooring covers whenever I see a good deal on them, if it’s in use it will wear out and need to be replaced, it’s just a matter of time. One thing is certain in my mind, new mooring covers are not going to get cheaperin the future, if anything they will get more expensive:

Food for thought: you cannot buy a shipping cover from yamaha, they only provide them with new boat sales and sometimes the dealer doesn’t include it in the sale. Additionally when yamaha discontinues a model it stops manufacturing the shipping cover as well. So it’s not surprising when I see used shipping covers for sale on line for $300.

I was looking up a part for a newer boat and on the “Hull Fittings” page the shipping cover was listed for purchase. I wonder if you could successfully order it?
example:
I just tried to chat with them to see if they have one in stock for my boat. If they do I’m buying one , maybe two. That’s a good price although when i buy them used for a little more money they usually come wirh an anti-pooling kit. I’m reluctant to order from partzilla , the first and last time i did so was December 2021. Ordered a single ignition coil for the full price of $230ish. Their site said they had it in stock, the first email said the same, the second email said on back order indefinitely, they still have my money and I’m still waiting for the coil.

Agreed on the availability game. Based on posts here about Partzilla and a few other sites that list “everything”, none of them actually have anything, they are just middlemen that go and order the part from Yamaha right after a customer orders. It wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t charge you until they actually get the part. I could probably create a “fake” business that does the same and profit off of the float (interest on holding your money until I actually pay someone for the part).

I just tried to chat with them to see if they have one in stock for my boat. If they do I’m buying one , maybe two. That’s a good price although when i buy them used for a little more money they usually come wirh an anti-pooling kit. I’m reluctant to order from partzilla , the first and last time i did so was December 2021. Ordered a single ignition coil for the full price of $230ish. Their site said they had it in stock, the first email said the same, the second email said on back order indefinitely, they still have my money and I’m still waiting for the coil.

Back