• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Safety on the water!

My daughter, her boyfriend, and his family rented a pontoon from a place in the area last week end, just south of 54 (basically the MD/DE line) and we talked about this accident. I asked her what sort of talk they got when they rented the boat: "The life jackets are in this compartment, the anchor is in that one, and the throttles work like this..." Period.
She did notice that there was a sticker on the door at the front warning to stay back when under way, but that's it.

Ok, here's a great example of the problem:

http://www.baysideboatrentals.com/jetboats.html

"Jet Boat Rentals and Pricing

Thourough safety briefings
The Sugar Sand Tango is one of the fastest and most agile Jet Boats available on the market, equipped with Mercury engines they are both powerful and reliable, and we have a whole fleet of them waiting for you. All of these boats are capable of seating 5 adults (as long as weight limit is not exceeded) and are available in the 175hp version or the 200hp monster - the fastest rental boat on the bay!

We provide an 8 square mile riding corridor, which is plenty of space to let 'em rip. Jet Boats must remain within the designated riding area and are not permitted to be docked at other locations.

All Jet Boat drivers must be 18yrs of age and be able to present a valid, government issued, photo ID at time of rental.

If you are born after July 1st 1972 you must have a valid boater's certificate to drive, or we can issue a free, temporary certificate prior to your rental. (My emphasis...)
Jet Boat Rates:
175 hp Jet Boats (40-50mph):

Hrs Rate Gas
1 $149 $25
2 $269 $40

200 hp Jet Boats (50-55+ mph):
Hrs Rate Gas
1 $199 $25
2 $379 $40
"

Yep, show up with a valid Visa or MC and go NUTS at 55+mph! What could possibly go wrong? Especially now that you have your free temporary certificate!

@msavold Yep that's how they do it and they rent those tangos in almost any wind /chop conditions. It is insane.

The larger issue is the lack of enforcement and lack of presence by DNR, CG and Sheriffs (we have all 3 here in OC). We live full time on the bay at the beginning of a no wake zone just off the open bay. Law enforcement used to sit right at the no wake buoy and everyone slowed down. Now we are lucky to see them 3 times a year. Everyone knows they can just blow right through no one will stop them. I am generally for personal responsibility not government enforcement but maybe DNR should stop worrying about patrolling the waters to protect birds (yeah I'm still pissed about that bird island BS) and start looking out for the people.

Back