• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt away - first time user

cjaysanchez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Normally we go to lakes, but we will be taking a trip to Galveston bay in a week or two and would like to know how to properly flush engine with salt away. Do I use the dispenser with salt away during flush and rinse with only water (second flush) after or just with salt away and it is ok for the product to remain inside without a flush with only water after? I believe this is foamy from what I saw in YouTube.
The same for the boat exterior, rinse with salt away and then rinse again with water only or no donde with water only necessary? We have a 2021 195s.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I rinse engine with fresh water for 5 min then salt away for 45 seconds then turn salt away machine and hose to off. Then I rev the engine slightly a few times give it a few little bursts to get out any remaining water then shut the engine off. A little salt away remains in which is good. When I use it to clean exterior or interior I typically spray it with salt away then wait a few minutes then rinse with fresh water. I typically don’t use salt away much though on the outside or inside of boat and normally give it a full bath for a few hours when I’m done for the weekend. Good luck!

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FWIW, I use Salt Off (West Marine's less expensive version of Salt Away), and I just follow the directions. I am flushing a hot engine within 15 minutes of boating; the fork lift will have placed my boat on the wash rack directly from the water. I flush the engine with just water using the standard flush fitting for a couple of minutes; this ensures a good flow from the pisser. I then flush the engine using the product dispenser until the reservoir goes clear - about 3 minutes.

I also flush the interior and hull of the boat with Salt Off using a garden hose end mixer (set to max mix). I do that before the engine flush to allow it time to work. After the engine flush, I wash the boat inside and out with a good quality wash and wax soap.

After 3+ years in only salt water, the boat looks new, and I have not had any problems of any type (well, the compass had to be replaced in the first 20 hours).