• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt Away/Salt Terminator?

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
100% salt water usage of my new 190 FSH Sport. Just found this video talking about using Salt Away or Salt Terminator as a must when flushing your motor.
Dealer never mentioned anything to me. Everyone using this stuff? I'm sure "Rob" must be on these forums.
Thanks!

jet_fun

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i use salt termtr on my 2016 190

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
100% salt water usage of my new 190 FSH Sport. Just found this video talking about using Salt Away or Salt Terminator as a must when flushing your motor.
Dealer never mentioned anything to me. Everyone using this stuff? I'm sure "Rob" must be on these forums.
Thanks!
@wallacerb knows his stuff!!!
Salt-away or Terminator is a must in salt.
You could make something similar much cheaper (buying oxalic acid and Dawn detergent?) - but I'm not sure it is worth the risk, those are PROVEN formulas that work.

--

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Cool. Just surprised dealers don't mention it... Sounds pretty important. Got to get me a routine and some product.

Only talk I received was about fogging the motor if you're not going to use it in "a while".

Last edited:

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Either is Highly recommended for salt water useage... it never hurts to take a few extra steps to protect and investment ...

@swatski ...I'm working on a video specifically for you....

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@wallacerb knows his stuff!!!
Salt-away or Terminator is a must in salt.
You could make something similar much cheaper (buying oxalic acid and Dawn detergent?) - but I'm not sure it is worth the risk, those are PROVEN formulas that work.

--
I never knew i lived across the street from a bonafide youtube star lol

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I’ve been using Starbrite Salt Off on my 2016 FSH. I don’t use it every time, but once a week or so when I’m in salt water. I’m probably 50/50 with salt and freshwater boating. Use it during flush and wash down. Works great. Came as a kit. http://www.starbrite.com/category/protectant

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the PTEF additive necessary? It's in Star Brite's Salt Off but not the Salt Terminator.

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Isn't PTFE an additive for providing a coating? Not sure why it would be there.. maybe it targets pontoon applications and provided a coating for aluminum... not sure..

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Isn't PTFE an additive for providing a coating? Not sure why it would be there.. maybe it targets pontoon applications and provided a coating for aluminum... not sure..
The product description states, "Salt Off Protector with PTEF is specifically formulated to quickly and effectively remove salt deposits from metal, fiberglass, plastic or painted surfaces. It contains special PTEF polymers that bond to the treated surface to help prevent the formation of future deposits."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A7J8FW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P&psc=1

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting...

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use West Marine Salt Off (cheaper same thing) every time to flush the engine and rinse the boat's exterior (a few ounces in a hose-end garden sprayer). I, of course, still wash the boat's exterior with a brush and wash/wax soap. I have almost a year exclusively in salt water on my 2017 190 Sport without any issues.

FWIW, my dealer did recommend using an anti-salt rinse agent every other flush, but they make that recommendation for all engines used in salt water. I believe my routine might be more than needed, but the cost is about the same as an extra gallon of gas (ethanol free at the marina - my boat is stored there in a rack) per outing - to me it is worth it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my dealer did recommend using an anti-salt rinse agent every other flush, but they make that recommendation for all engines used in salt water
Well, that's better than not doing it at all! I guess.

Kind of like... getting treatment for poison ivy rash every other time you get it.

--