• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt Water Slip - Bad idea?

Salt water slip OK for Scarab?

• Total voters

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am considering renting a slip at my local marina in Long Beach, CA. Currently I trailer my boat and keep in my driveway 10 min from launch ramp. A slip will prevent me from having to trailer the boat back and forth to the marina and pay $12 to launch each time. It would be very nice to have the boat in the water ready to go or just to hang out at the dock before/after boating. However, every time I am done with my boat I hose it down and rinse the engine. I will not be able to pull the boat out of the water and rinse the engine very often. I will also need to clean the hull regularly as well. Realistically, I'll probably be able to pull the boat out once every month or two.

I am wondering if anyone keeps their boat in a salt water slip, and what the recommendation is? I don't want to put my boat in the water only to ruin the engine in a year.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody near you have dry stack?

Water is hard on the hull too. You could do the slip, but the barnacles will be a pain.

See who around you has dry stack. Price may be same or cheaper, and they have room for you to stay in the water when you want, and out of the water when you are ready.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't wet slip a jet in the salt. Get a hydrohoist or trailer it. I'd say 2 weeks is the longest any jet should be in salt water. Have you seen the amount of crap that grows on boats in only 2 weeks during the summer?

chesbay007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only way you can keep it in salt water for an extended period of time is by painting the bottom. The growth on your boat within 10 days will slow your boat down by 5-10mph if kept in a wet slip. Painting the bottom will greatly depreciate your boat. I am in your exact position and it is a pain in the ass to trailer the boat and clean it each time.

Last edited:

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m planning to next year. But will “most likely” be getting a 2019. They have updated the warranty to allow for wetslip and have some new coatings for the engine / jet components. So a little different at least from a warranty piece then even the ‘18 boats. Hopefully I have a good experience

I will be out of the water every couple of weeks for some lake usage. and it’s also not full on salt as I’m in a river mouth. But...

lenvo65

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My 2008 232 Limited has been wet slipped the past two summers in the Barnegat Bay (NJ) salt water. The boat was bottom painted when I bought it, and I refreshed the bottom paint before I started wet slipping the boat. When we anchor at a local sand bar area I have inspected the hull near the water line, and not had any growth in the bottom paint areas, and above that line is easily brushed off. After each use, I clamp off the cooling water intakes and flush both engines via hose with Salt Terminator. Is it optimal for keeping a pristine boat, no, but we use the boat much more than we would if it meant driving to the boat ramp and dropping in and out for every use.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
.....The boat was bottom painted when I bought it, and I refreshed the bottom paint before I started wet slipping the boat...
I would suggest this is a Key element for your success.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your input. Seems I am in no shape to keep my boat in a slip without at least fresh bottom paint and more likely will need a lift. And currently I do not have bottom paint. I’ve read I’d need to remove th gelcoat to add bottom paint And I still worry about the engine sitting in the water.

So now my plan is to get an adequate boat lift. I’m tempted to try something more on the economical side, like “air docks” and perhaps if I dock long term than something nicer like Hydrohoist

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2008 232 Limited has been wet slipped the past two summers in the Barnegat Bay (NJ) salt water. The boat was bottom painted when I bought it, and I refreshed the bottom paint before I started wet slipping the boat. When we anchor at a local sand bar area I have inspected the hull near the water line, and not had any growth in the bottom paint areas, and above that line is easily brushed off. After each use, I clamp off the cooling water intakes and flush both engines via hose with Salt Terminator. Is it optimal for keeping a pristine boat, no, but we use the boat much more than we would if it meant driving to the boat ramp and dropping in and out for every use.

This is very reassuring since you've had in saltwater. No damage to the jet intake etc? I'm concerned about growth on the jet grate and impeller in addition to the hull.

Anyway, my plan is to spend a few $k on a nice lift, but that may not happen immediately after I get a slip.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only way you can keep it in salt water for an extended period of time is by painting the bottom. The growth on your boat within 10 days will slow your boat down by 5-10mph if kept in a wet slip. Painting the bottom will greatly depreciate your boat. I am in your exact position and it is a pain in the ass to trailer the boat and clean it each time.

Thank you. Why would bottom paint greatly deppreciate my boat?

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn't wet slip a jet in the salt. Get a hydrohoist or trailer it. I'd say 2 weeks is the longest any jet should be in salt water. Have you seen the amount of crap that grows on boats in only 2 weeks during the summer?

Thanks, yes I think I will need to invest a few $k in a lfit system. My marina only allows floating types that don't require attachment to the dock.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anybody near you have dry stack?

Water is hard on the hull too. You could do the slip, but the barnacles will be a pain.

See who around you has dry stack. Price may be same or cheaper, and they have room for you to stay in the water when you want, and out of the water when you are ready.

Thank you. I drove to Key West last week and see what you mean about a DryStack. Long Beach CA Marinas need to step up and offer Dry Stack I'd be first in line. unfortunately, there's no service I know of like this nearby.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
No way I would wet slip this boat or any ski

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am considering renting a slip at my local marina in Long Beach, CA. Currently I trailer my boat and keep in my driveway 10 min from launch ramp. A slip will prevent me from having to trailer the boat back and forth to the marina and pay $12 to launch each time. It would be very nice to have the boat in the water ready to go or just to hang out at the dock before/after boating. However, every time I am done with my boat I hose it down and rinse the engine. I will not be able to pull the boat out of the water and rinse the engine very often. I will also need to clean the hull regularly as well. Realistically, I'll probably be able to pull the boat out once every month or two.

I am wondering if anyone keeps their boat in a salt water slip, and what the recommendation is? I don't want to put my boat in the water only to ruin the engine in a year.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you
Running into the exact problem, I'm from L.A. too, by the way, but moving to USVI, St. Croix. I'm getting a 255 ID and there is no dry-slip here, and I know if I have to trailer my boat, I'll hardly use it, and it would be a waste. I don't want it sitting in the saltwater there for sure, but I'm in a real "salty" situation.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does this growth happen if you're running the boat every day, or does it require the boat to just be sitting there for days on end? Assuming you're running for a good 20-30 mins every day @ 25-30mph would you still see that growth?