• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt water use and Aluminum Trailer

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So as I am hunting for boats, the thoughts of launching in salt water are a possibility in the future. If we were to do salt it would primarily be in and around the bays near Rockport Texas and Port Aransas once or twice a year. I don't think I would do much open ocean in that area(what is there to see in the gulf?) but the bay is bay big enough and has enough ship traffic that I can see it getting rough. I'd love to see in anyone has any experience boating in these areas and if it's even worth it. Beyond that I foresee mainly fresh water lake launches.

Second, What are my options for a custom aluminum trailer for Yamahas? I don't have a boat yet, but 21-24 foot is a safe bet.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The Yamaha comes with either a painted or a galvanized trailer. An aluminum trailer is not offered. Several guys have upgraded their trailers to aluminum aftermarket however and that is doable. But you are going to pay twice to do that on a new boat. Several have told me they have bought their boats without a trailer, but I am guessing at a big loss, because Yamaha sells with a trailer and it would be up to the dealer to make that deal. And a dealer makes money on every transaction or they wouldn't be in business. If your boat will ever see saltwater, do yourself a favor and get a galvanized trailer at a minimum.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Most of boats I've seen are painted trailers, obviously a no go for salt. I've seen a few galvanized trailer but they look sad already. How long should one expect a galvanized to last? I guess I'm just trying to plan for the replacement trailer down the road.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am not sure on that one @JetPowered . A well cared for trailer and boat will last a long time. Salt air and water really take a toll, even on stainless steel sometimes. It is all about exposure and care. You may get some replies telling you that they have used their "painted" trailer in the ocean and it is just fine. Don't believe that one. Galvanization is zinc which is put on hot. It is nothing more than a sacrificial anode, and it will be eaten off just like the anodes on the boat. So maintenance is important! A can of cold galvanizing spray can help you keep your galvanized trailer in tip top shape. But most of the components on the trailer are not going to be galvanized, aluminum, or stainless, and those will wear out fast. When you change springs, axles, brakes, or or hubs, you can go with better components as well.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully some of the Florida members will chime in on this. I have a galvanized trailer with my 2007 SX230 that started life in Florida then moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I bought it in 2011 with around 35 hours on the engines. I have dunked it in the gulf twice and the Atlantic twice. The trailer does not look new but is certainly very strong at this point.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JetPowered, trailer life will depend on how well you care for it. Salt, fresh, or brackish, I wash my boat and trailer down after every outing. My boat and trailer are both four years old and you would never know it by looking at either. Call me anal, but that little extra time caring for both should give me many years with this trailer. I've upgraded to boat buckles, a Fulton F2 winch, new LED trailer lights, and a Fulton tongue jack. Aside from the winch, all the other items I had to replace because they broke or stopped working.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your boat will ever see saltwater, do yourself a favor and get a galvanized trailer at a minimum.
Absolutely... My galvanized trailer only lasted three years. Despite my efforts at thoroughly rinsing after a day on the water, it was ultimately the hours it sat soaked in salt at the boat ramp while we were on the water that did it in. Looking back I wish I had done something to rinse it after launching.

The frame of my trailer is like brand new, but the axles, springs, and brakes/rotors are done.

Like @txav8r mentioned, that cold galvanized spray is great... the parts of my trailer that I treated with it when I replaced the tongue jack are still corrosion free.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Absolutely... My galvanized trailer only lasted three years. Despite my efforts at thoroughly rinsing after a day on the water, it was ultimately the hours it sat soaked in salt at the boat ramp while we were on the water that did it in. Looking back I wish I had done something to rinse it after launching.

The frame of my trailer is like brand new, but the axles, springs, and brakes/rotors are done.

Like @txav8r mentioned, that cold galvanized spray is great... the parts of my trailer that I treated with it when I replaced the tongue jack are still corrosion free.
And you can change all those components for better ones...

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There is brackish water in this area and I see galvanized trailers that seem to last a long time. No one here has a painted trailer.

When I was looking it depended on the area; everything within several hundred miles of here came with a galvanized trailer.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have experience in that area but I have only boated in salt water with my boat....and I have a painted trailer....I know I will probably only get another 2 years out of the trailer, hopefully. With that said, I bought my boat a year ago, it never had been in salt until I got it. I almost passed on buying the boat because it didn't have a galvanized trailer (glad I didn't), surprisingly the trailer still looks great, I sprayed pretty much the entire trailer with Fluid Film, and rinse the crap out of it when I pull the boat out of the water. The only part I'm really worried about is the inside of the frame, the outside looks great but I'd like to be able to see inside the frame and cross members. When I wash my boat I stick the water hose in the front of the frame and let it run through there while I wash.
I know I'll have to get a trailer at some point but I'm glad I didn't let the trailer make my decision on which boat I bought.

In your situation, using it in salt a couple times a year, I wouldn't worry about the trailer, get a galvanized if you can but don't let that turn you away from a good boat.

From what I see, a custom aluminum trailer will be about $3000-$3500. @Big Shasta has a nice aluminum one.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What is the estimated cost of a new replacement galvanized trailer?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

My boat was sold in North Carolina, spent some time in Florida and I finally bought it from a fellow in Ohio. That, luckily, got me a galvanized trailer.

I know it's been in salt water because when I was changing out my scupper I found some beach sand in the bilge area. :D

When I got it, my brakes didn't function. I just spent a couple extra dollars to get the aluminum brake calipers, etc from MFI.

My spring hardware is now shot, again I will just upgrade to either galvanized or stainless steel, depending on the load on the component.

The rest of the trailer is just fine.

Don't throw away a trailer because the components are bad... you can upgrade all that (including the axles) for much cheaper than you can replace a trailer!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I Do love my aluminum trailer....3500.00 but it didn't hurt so bad since I got a great deal on the boat. The trailer the last owner had was a painted trailer but it had only been used 4 or 5 times since he kept his boat on a lift at his house (all salt water) it was in really sad shape. (Probably didn't get the best rinses either) I was afraid to even take the boat across town with it. I had the new one built before I even picked up the boat so I didn't have to fool with the painted trailer, I just let him keep it.

The only issues I had was they didn't use all stainless brake components so I had to replace some stuff after 3 years. But I replaced them with all stainless Kodiak stuff so it should be good for a LONG time. In hindsight I should have paid to have those parts upgraded.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those that have replaced axles, springs, brakes, or rotors... where did you get them? Has anyone upgraded to torsion axles?

Durkis007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those that have replaced axles, springs, brakes, or rotors... where did you get them? Has anyone upgraded to torsion axles?
I would like to know this also.... My suspension components are looking like Sheet ! The salt bath they get every weekend in the summer has done them in only after this being the 3rd season.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for everyone for their input. I opted for a boat with a painted trailer. I can always change trailers are a later date if I decide to run in salt.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just a warning, don't dip that trailer in salt water even once. You'll never get the salt out of the inside and it will rot internally.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Replace rotors/calipers/pads with Kodiak stainless steel and you won't worry about rust on them anymore.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks and trust me, I will not. That was my while debate about trying to find a boat with a galvanized trailer.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For what it's worth, I have a 2007 AR 210 with the original MFI galvanized trailer. I boat just about every weekend in saltwater (in Florida) and the trailer is still going strong. Previous Owner was from Florida too. Don't get me wrong, I've got rust on the brake calipers and suspension, but nothing needs replaced yet. I also spray my parts down with T-9.