• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sanity Check on new stereo wiring config

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok replacing the stereo and speakers in 2013 242ls, have the 6 speakers the boat came with plus a pair of tower pods. Running an 8 channel amp and will be adding 1 or 2 10" subs. My amp is 2ohm stable and the speakers are all 4 ohms, my thought is to take the swim and tower and put them in parallel on the rear channel and the bow and cockpit in parallel on the front channel. Bridge the other 2 channels for the subs and call it a day, any see any gotchas or have a better idea than this? thanks!

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
sounds fine to me. you will get more power that way too.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
sounds fine to me. you will get more power that way too.
@Diablo243 Yup, shouldn't be an issue. But just to clarify you don't really get any more "power" output in the form of volume. When you parallel speakers, the amp may put out twice the wattage, but the speakers then divide that power in half for each half of the connection. Net result is the same power to each speaker whether direct or parallel. You can get a bit more overall volume since you may have more speakers running on the same channels in the same area, but you don't double output. It's not an issue at all and I have done the same thing with my system, running 8 speakers off a 4-ch amp keeps it simple.

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Diablo243 Yup, shouldn't be an issue. But just to clarify you don't really get any more "power" output in the form of volume. When you parallel speakers, the amp may put out twice the wattage, but the speakers then divide that power in half for each half of the connection. Net result is the same power to each speaker whether direct or parallel. You can get a bit more overall volume since you may have more speakers running on the same channels in the same area, but you don't double output. It's not an issue at all and I have done the same thing with my system, running 8 speakers off a 4-ch amp keeps it simple.
@212s don't want to argue but my practical experience tells me it does increase the volume somewhat, but not double. I have tried it both ways numerous times over my many system installs over the years, and it always sounds better at the lower impendence if the amp supports it. The two speaker act as one.
ref: https://geoffthegreygeek.com/speaker-impedance-changes-amplifier-power/