• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SBT Impeller Housing Installation (Pic Heavy)

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered my replacement impeller housing from SBT last Thursday, and it arrived 0n the following Monday. At the same time, I ordered the dowel pins, sacrificial anodes, and other miscellaneous parts from boats.net the same Thursday... not here yet.

The wife and I were not going to go with out the boat this weekend, so I had to reuse the dowel pins from the OEM housing, and were they a huge pain to get out.

Anyway, for those that are interested here is my install and review of the SBT housings...

They look to be of very good quality, the Delrin liner was a little rough, but after mounting it over the impeller it was obvious that the impeller was going to shave it down a little.

20140829_142823.jpg

20140829_142842.jpg

Now to get the dowel pins out...

This handy tool

20140829_151543.jpg
20140829_151558.jpg

A little heat...

20140829_151524.jpg
And bang it out with a punch and hammer... it took several attempts, but they both came out.

20140829_151755.jpg

I left it on the tool and removed the corrosion with the wire wheel on a bench grinder.

20140829_150933.jpg

Refaced the surfaces with a scotch brite wheel... and inserted the indexing pins. The small pins came out of the old housing by hand, so no problem there.

20140829_153520.jpg

At first, I was worried that the mounting holes for the dowel pins were slightly smaller that the OEM, and I didn't want to damage or crack the new housing. I measured, and the OEM was .525 and the SBT was .523, so I put both the dowel pins in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Then, I heated the housing a little with a heat gun, careful to watch the temp of the liner. It took about four good blows with an over sized punch and a plastic mallet... they went right in.

20140829_155010.jpg

Some pics of the housing installed...

20140829_155044.jpg 20140829_155053.jpg 20140829_155059.jpg

Last edited:
Permatex on the bolts and torqued to 180in lbs... Honda Moly 60 on the splines... and I removed and re-installed all the gate and nozzle bolts with red threadlocker.

20140830_070919.jpg 20140830_071105.jpg

I was a little worried that I might suffer the same fate as @Cotay getting the impeller shaft back in, but it went in perfectly. Held the pump with one hand, the other up in the intake grate to spin and index the shaft. Slid right in. Torqued to 360in lbs, and done.

The pump install on the boat only took about 30 minutes.

One down, one to go...

20140830_104430.jpg

Oh, and the housings with the plastic liners are definitely quieter. Not sure how noticeable it will be, but the wife noticed it from inside the boat right away. I recorded some video, but it took watching it back to really notice the difference:

Just curious !! I have also ordered a set of SBT impeller housings and will soon be installing them. Is it possible and wouldn't it be easier to mount the new housing directly to the transom plate before inserting the shaft and remounting the jet pump assembly ? Seems to me it would be a little less weight and easier to line up the splines on the shaft ?

@WildCatFan54 I noticed the original poster hasn't been logged on the site since 2015. Just an FYI. Not sure what's up, but he may not respond.

Thanks Todd ! I did notice that the thread was pretty old and no recent replies. I guess it was more of a general question to anyone that may have replaced an impeller housing for advise on how to proceed ? @cwoav8r did a nice job with the pics and video originally.

Sorry guys... not dead, just really busy the last few years :cool:. And guess what... wanted to go out on the boat for Mothers Day... and, guess who never did the port side delrin upgrade. Well, I'm doing it now... and I hope to be much more active on the board from now on.

So to answer the 5 year old question... the only way I could do it was to mount the housing/impeller section together because the bolts go all the way through both sections to the transom plate. There is no way to mount the housing first... nothing to hold it in place if that makes any sense.

Later guys ;)

Wow, and now it looks like SBT doesn't carry that part any more...

Plenty of vendors should be selling that part I purchased 2 at different times form different companies one had a black wear ring the other was white. Both work fine no cavitation even while surfing

Does your boat get cavitation? that impeller looks chewed up it could have been sent in for reconditioning or cleaned up with a dremel

good to see the MR1 motors still going how many hours do you have ?

1684155200727.png

Thanks, I did find a housing online, should be here tomorrow and I should be back on the water soon. No, no cavitation at all. Also, I did dress up the impeller more before I put it back on... this one is gonna take a little more work. I just don't have time to send it out because I am terminating my lease with our marina and I have to haul the boat out before the end of the month.

I have no idea how many hours... but I will be downloading the data soon. I may be selling the boat :(

Yea, turns out that's not the only problem... :(

Attachments

• 20230519_214754.jpg
    20230519_214754.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 11
Any thoughts... I'm kinda under the gun to get this thing back together... I really need parts tomorrow, but not holding our much hope.

Well, I triple checked all the numbers... and this kit "should" work:

And... it will be here tomorrow! Thanks to:

Cross your fingers for me!

Back