• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 G, First time out and a few questions.....

zmandunk4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
All, first and foremost, thanks for all the help in preparation for the purchase of this jet boat. I lurked for a long while on this and a few jet ski forums while doing research. We were looking for something to complement our pontoon boat (i.e something to tow the kids around in while the moms stay in the cove and relax). We were going to buy a couple of jet skis or a jet boat, finally decided on the jet boat. Got a pretty good deal (I think) on a used 165G with 38 hours on it. Finally got out on it this Memorial Day weekend. So much easy to get in and out of the water than the 24 foot pontoon. Here are my questions,

When going over bigger waves the engine tended to almost bog down and not go over 20 MPH. I limped it to the marina and parked it to have my brother look at it. Upon starting it up again it had no issue. Did this a couple more times out on the water and was always remedied by shutting the engine down and starting it back up. Is this normal, possibly a safety feature? Checked the manual and came up with nothing.

Any tips for towing the kids on the water? This little boat is quick and turns on a dime. This is the main reason we boat the boat and tips are appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help.

Z

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The engine shouldn't bog down at all. Even if the engine was having issues pushing the boat on the waves, it would actually surge not bog down because the slower your boat runs, it takes in less water to push behind it. I hope that makes sense. Keep an eye on the temperature on your cluster. Make sure that it stays within running temperature.

If it keeps bogging down, you may have other issues in the shaft or a loose impeller. Get that checked asap.

As for as kids and pulling them.... If your boat came with ski mode, use it. It controls the throttle, and makes the take off gradual. If you dont, just be sure not to jerk the throttle. Remember that these boats need throttle to turn, plan your turns ahead especially with a tuber behind.

Take care!