• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 HOI tower warning label

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The label on the horizontal bar on the tower warns against towing inflatable towables amongst other obvious items (parasails, kites, other boats).
Seems odd that a tow tower couldn't handle a modest inflatable. Anyone notice this and tow them anyway? I'll have to admit I have and had nothing like stress cracks, bending etc. Anyone out there have any feedback on this?

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I had the same warning on my 2005 Malibu Wakesetter tower, and I pulled inflatables all summer long for 10 years, and never a single problem. Not huge 6-person tubes, but normal 1-2 person toys.

There are other things to consider besides just strength of the tower. Since the tow point is so high I've actually heard of boats being pulled over to the side when a tube submarines, although I've never even come close to that happening, nor seen it happening.

Warning or not, I'll keep doing it and using my best judgment along the way. It works very well, and you get a ton of air time with the tow point so high. Plus it's much easier keeping the rope out from under the boat.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Its not about hndling the load of an inflatable, its about the inflatable being prone to go airborne. They recommend towing inflatables using the lower tow hook below the rear seats.

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Safety first for riders towing no matter what tow point I use. The tower is much more fun for riders and easier to handle for the driver. Good to know it is not a load issue which I was concerned for.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
do some more searching here and around, because I believe it is a load issue. I don't have a tower, but know when our 2 person tube submarines the front of itself, I can feel the pull on the boat. That pull on a tower could crack or break something. Towers are, from what I understand, designed for pulling a rider who when falls, the only thing left hanging is the rope (skier, wakeboard, knee board...). Again, I don't have a tower, so not I am not a expert. But I do obsess about boating and read alot of the fine posts here. I will look. I believe there was a long post on this very subject last year that could give you some more insight.

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback Bob, never enough info to consider where safety is concerned