• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 PVC cover structure solution

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Someone posted the idea of using large yoga balls and that got me going. I was going to the yoga ball idea but storing them is an issue for me. So I decided to build the simplest 1/2" PVC pipe structure I could come up with. I felt like I was building lego. lol Anyways, I repurposed the two rubber feet on the current poles and combined with various joints, tape, etc. I managed to replicate the height of the poles. Nothing is rubbing by design and it stands on its own.

The main reason I wanted to do this is because I keep the boat at the dock most of the time. When I put her to sleep for a week at a time, I'm constantly having to remove and add back on the straps of the current poles while trying to put the cover on and tie it to the dock. This allows me to remove all those straps entirely. Should make things easy.
🙂

For reference, it's a 165.

P.S. Ignore the super messy/full garage. She hasn't been out this year yet... we're just about to come out of hibernation here in Ottawa, Canada. The cover needs a good cleaning after a winter or projects with dust, particles, etc.

***EDIT*** Added a measurement photo. Take note these measurements are actual cuts. It already accounts for joint insert. Cut exactly as indicated. Should fit pretty damn close. If you add pipe insulation, you may need to shave about 1/4 of an inch off the verticals to accomodate for that a bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Discovered a flaw. lol

The long pole was too long without some support. It bent with the heat under the cover and sagged.

So I added a support pole.

I cut the 86" long pole in two pieces. One of 35" and the other of 51". Then I added a T joint and a vertical pole of 34.5" that goes to the ground. I just put a random connector at the bottom to not damage the SeaDek.

Hopefully this does the trick. One of the benefits is that the long pole can now be stored easily in the ski locker or wherever you prefer.

Attachments