• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 Trailer Width Please

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Having a boat in storage is soooo frustrating. Is anybody able to confirm the width of the trailer? Precisely please. At its widest point (wheel to wheel presumably, but could be tail lights?).

We're planning on buying a new home and I'd like to know what the minimum garage door width needs to be to fit the boat in there. The height isn't an issue since I don't have a wake tower.

Merci.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey there, Luc - I can measure that tonight when I get home. I believe the widest point on the trailer is at the wheels, but I'll verify that as well. Also, I'm assuming this is the Scarab black Gatorhyde trailer, correct?

Not sure if it's any help knowing, but I have a 2-car garage and it fits comfortably in there with my car parked next to it. Of course, not all 2-car garages are the same width......... :)

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thanks Steven. Yeah, it's the standard trailer that came with it in 2015 (base model though). Either way, I expect the trailers to be about the same width even if there are some changes.

Yeah, my issues is if we end up buying a home with two garage doors with a pillar in between as opposed to a single/wide door. I believe many doors are 8' wide and I know the beam of the boat to be 7'1". So that only leaves 11" to play with assuming the door is 8' wide. If it's a single door, then I'm not worried and agree that I shouldn't have any issues. But I want to try and find something that can fit the boat if at all possible. I won't skip on a house just because of this, but I definitely want to factor it in.

Much appreciated.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's just about a fraction of an inch shy of 8' wide at the widest point, which is in fact at the wheels. Hope that helps.......

My garage is a single door, so no worries about a center post for me. With my car in the garage, I have a good 2 to 2.5 feet between the car door and the wheel of the trailer. Which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's actually plenty of room. That being said, I do still have to take the car out of the garage when moving the boat in or out. Hopefully the house(s) you look at have enough room for all of your toys!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thank you! Glad you're around. Yeah, so I think if I really want to be able to do this, I'll need a garage without a pillar. It may be doable with, but it will be very difficult to pull off. This is mostly to store it in the winter and avoid storing it offsite where it's not accessible but I may want to park it there at times. I currently own a fairly small home. We're doing like the Jones's and upgrading sometime this year (probably this spring if we find something). But this is definitely a factor. I already preferred wide, single door for a double garage... this is reaffirming that.

Thanks again!

By the way, where do you live out of curiosity?

Luc

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem at all, Luc!! I definitely like parking mine inside, especially during the off-season, and I also definitely appreciate having it where I can see it and keep an eye on it all year. Not to mention that it's in a climate-controlled environment that way (which I'm sure costs extra if you rent a storage area). The only other option is if you had a family member or friend with a large enclosed storage area that you could use (or rent for a special "friends & family" rate). And I've been through the whole buy it, fix it up and/or let it appreciate, flip it home thing already - it's rewarding, but also takes a lot of hard work and patience. Good on you if you are successful - I wish you the best!

I live down here in good ol' rainy Oregon - mid-Willamette Valley, Salem area. Just a few miles down the road from you............like about 3000 of them..........

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, I think we're going to make the no pillar thing a requirement for the new house. We have the luxury of being picky...

Oregon.... ok, I'd buy you a beer if you were closer.... if you ever head my way, give me a shout! :)

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm finding as I get older that in a lot of cases, you just need to stretch it a bit and get what you really want in the first place. Otherwise, you'll always still end up wishing/wanting. (Within reason, of course. I don't want to see you out on the lake with a brand new 255.........I'll get jealous.)

Likewise for you - if you're ever out here on the left coast, feel free to drop me a line and we can get together and share a pizza and a pitcher! We're all fellow boaters here.........gots to stick together, don't ya know.........

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes it is a good 8' to the outside the fenders. An 8' door does not leave room for error.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thanks Alan for confirming your number. We officially moved the "no pillar in garage door" from "Nice to have" to "Must have" in our new house purchase. lol

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Your welcome, I built my cover with a 10' opening so I had plenty of room for error and also marked the floor where the tires are suppose to be and stops to keep me from backing in to far. Glad to be of some help.