• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195 Open

Michael Ryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMG_4137.JPG IMG_4158.JPG Bought my Scarab 195 Open new on April 28th, 2017. Its a pretty new boat so there is not much info on it but I am very interested to hear from others. Been great so far but have learned a few lessons in the last two months and 35 hours of run time.

Don't ride with the canopy top up on the interstate. (Dealer said that it was ok , it was not.) ripped the canvas and broke the top light housing. ~$120 fix.

Don't store the removable floor mats with any weight on top of them. It causes marks in the mats that does not seem to go away.

Do find a cover as soon as possible, because there is currently not one made for it. I bought one for a center console boat off of amazon for $250 and it looks and fits pretty well. Storm pro heavy duty is the brand.

The only issue I'm having is with the Bluetooth function on there kicker stereo unit. It only plays through half the speakers. When I hardwire or use the radio, it works fine. Scarab is looking into it but it's been a month with no word. Anyone having a similar issue?

I finally tried out the ski mode this weekend and I will say it was pretty great. Takes all the stress out of pulling a wake boarder. Just hit a button and the computer gets them up and to the speed selected perfectly every time.

****I recently purchased a humminburd depth finder/gps and I am looking for any suggestions on where to mount the transducer on the 195 open??

I'll be bringing the boat for the first scheduled maintenance next week and hopefully there are no issues. I'll provide an update regardless.

Last edited:

ATXScarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i bought my 195 open in May. i love it so far. So far for a cover i am using one for a 24 foot boat that will fit with tower folded down.

Michael Ryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
i bought my 195 open in May. i love it so far. So far for a cover i am using one for a 24 foot boat that will fit with tower folded down.
My post was cut short for some reason.....I finished it once I noticed this morning. Take a picture of your boat covered up if you can. I'll update mine with the center console cover I bought. It's not sealed up tight so I may want to change.

What are your thoughts regarding the recommended maintainance schedule?

txpilot83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for starting the thread. Been looking for info from actual owners of the 195 Open.

As far as mounting the transducer there are a couple good threads about it under the Yamaha 190 FSH section. Obviously different boat but its a start: https://jetboaters.net/threads/fsh-transducer-placement.12872/

Hows the wake for wake boarding? Did you get the factory fat sac? I'm curious to know if its possible to get a big enough wake to wake surf behind it. If I ever get a 195 Open I'll probably add this: https://wake-worx.com/shop/super-sacr/#options
It would make filling up fat sacs way easier and also give you a wash down hose.

How easy is it to fold down the tower? I'm assuming you have to take the canopy top off to fold it all the way down, is that a pain? How much shade does the canopy actually give?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ATXScarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is a picture of the boat covered. I wouldn't trailer it covered more than the few blocks it is from home to storage as it barely covered to the gunwales up front.

Attachments

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nice look'in boat!!

Michael Ryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for starting the thread. Been looking for info from actual owners of the 195 Open.

As far as mounting the transducer there are a couple good threads about it under the Yamaha 190 FSH section. Obviously different boat but its a start: https://jetboaters.net/threads/fsh-transducer-placement.12872/

Hows the wake for wake boarding? Did you get the factory fat sac? I'm curious to know if its possible to get a big enough wake to wake surf behind it. If I ever get a 195 Open I'll probably add this: https://wake-worx.com/shop/super-sacr/#options
It would make filling up fat sacs way easier and also give you a wash down hose.

How easy is it to fold down the tower? I'm assuming you have to take the canopy top off to fold it all the way down, is that a pain? How much shade does the canopy actually give?

Thanks.
Appreciate the heads up on the transducer article.

I have not done any wake surfing yet but I plan to soon and will let you know. No I did not get the fat sac.

The tower folds down very easily, takes a minute. The canopy top comes off pretty easily as well. It helps being tall to put it back on, but still not that tough. And the canopy does not provide an abundant amount of shade but if your driving, your all good.

Stevefiedler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Scarab impulse 19:5 lot of trouble with it must have got a bad one I fill the gas tank up full and it leaks into the motor compartment anybody hear of that

Craig Dionne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am a new owner of a Scarab 195 Open. It looks identical to the one pictured above. Anyway, when I start my boat or when it is neutral, it goes backwards at a pretty good clip. Anyway to adjust this? The dealer tells me I can fix it on the console while Scarab is telling me to talk to BRP. I understand that there is not a true neutral, but it goes backward way more than I would imagine it should.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Go thru your display setting. In there you will find a setting that you can adjust the neutral.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Craig Dionne : While in idle & still in neutral, you can adjust your gate position for true neutral by going into Settings - Neutral Adjustment.
Your adjustment should be around -6, but your neutral adjustment window is +15 to -15.

Craig Dionne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. I assume the boat has to be running? I tried it with the key on but not running and didn't see a neutral adjustment setting. I only see docking mode, ski mode, cruise, eco mode, and display. The boat will be back in the water again this weekend.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yes, with engine running @ idle & controller arm in neutral position

Craig Dionne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. Worked great. Now I am having another issue. Lost about of quart of antifreeze into bilge. Only loses it when it is running. Boat has a total of 14 hours on it. No warning lights or codes whatsoever. I think that it is coming out of the overflow hose. When I took delivery of the boat the radiator cap on the overflow was off. That should have been a red flag. One dealer said it could be faulty radiator cap but also said that Scarabs sometimes do this. Thoughts?

S.peay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks. Worked great. Now I am having another issue. Lost about of quart of antifreeze into bilge. Only loses it when it is running. Boat has a total of 14 hours on it. No warning lights or codes whatsoever. I think that it is coming out of the overflow hose. When I took delivery of the boat the radiator cap on the overflow was off. That should have been a red flag. One dealer said it could be faulty radiator cap but also said that Scarabs sometimes do this. Thoughts?
I've noticed on a lot of the Rotax overflow jugs that the hose clamp on the bottom of the bottle is not the best clamp type. I have replaced many of them including on my 195 HOI. Check that first.

Captain_Ron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys. Just purchased a new 195 Open and have a question about the t-top cover. Should I remove it when not in use to prevent it from fading or will it be good to go in the sun all the time? I dont have a cover for it yet, just a center console cover and seat cover that came with the boat. Going to probably make a custom one eventually that will go on in 2 pieces around the center console. Thanks guy.

ATXScarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey guys. Just purchased a new 195 Open and have a question about the t-top cover. Should I remove it when not in use to prevent it from fading or will it be good to go in the sun all the time? I dont have a cover for it yet, just a center console cover and seat cover that came with the boat. Going to probably make a custom one eventually that will go on in 2 pieces around the center console. Thanks guy.

The top is made of Sunbrella material so I would assume that it will withstand a certain amount of prolonged sun exposure. That being said, I've noticed that mine will have water puddle on top when the boat is not moving (I've been caught in a couple of rainstorms recently out on the water). Adding in the you certainly do not want to tow at highway speeds with the top on, I remove mine when the boat is out of the water and leave it off. I think sun plus water accumulation/ puddling would tear it up pretty quick.

Craig Dionne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've left mine on all summer so far and have seen no fading or had any problems. I do remove all of the cushions and put them in hatch. I ordered the bow seating and the sun pad. I, too, am going to have a custom cover made soon. I expect it to me in two pieces as well.

Captain_Ron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok cool. Thanks for the info guys! Any issues with the 195 open i should know about yet?