• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195Impulse Handling Tips?

joemig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a newly acquired Scarab 195. Coming from a 300HP Manitou tri-toon, learning how to master the single engine jet boat is like starting all over again.. Does anyone have advice on:
low speed maneuverability
trailer launching
best way to approach turns at speed
DOCKING mode - does anyone really use this?
NEUTRAL ?
I'm looking forward towards putting enough hours on the boat to master it's handling characteristics, but at the moment I doing a lot of spinning in circles, giving myself a lot of extra space and simply turning off the engine a lot more then I did w/a single engine outboard.

Thanks!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off, welcome @joemig glad that you found us here. Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with the handling of your boat. I don't have any firsthand experience with the scarab boats, but I'm sure that the scarab guys like @ScarabMike will chime in shortly.

That being said, there is usually a learning curve with jet boats. A simple thing to keep in mind is that there's no rudder in the water to steer the boat. You have to steer it with thrust. Simply turning the wheel won't have any affect with changing the direction of travel. You have to turn the wheel and bump the throttle/s. Usually a docking assist or no wake mode simply increases the rpms in order to give a slight amount of thrust which translates into better steering/handling at lower speeds. I tend to jockey a lot between forward and reverse also in order to slow the boats forward momentum while still having better steering using my no wake mode (increased rpms). But to be honest, adding fins to my boat was the best way to make the boats handling more like a traditional stern/outboard drive. I have a lot of guest drivers, so the fins eliminate the learning curve.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not the best at giving an explanation but others on this site will chime in shortly to help you out too.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the community @joemig !!

First of all congrats on being a new jetboat owner! You will soon see the advantages and safety that it has to offer.
The Scarab is a very maneuverable boat in slow speeds, and all out speed. Let me see if I can put it into perspective:
  • In slow speeds as with most jet boats, there is a slight delay on the time you turn the wheel, to the time the boat starts going in the direction your steering. The key is a little goes a long way. If your in a pinch, and need the boat to react faster, tap throttle a little, and you'll see the boat turn. Avoid turning the wheel too much because once the boat starts to turn, it will move fast. I suggest going to an open area of water, and see where the "sweet spot" is. It wont take long to learn.
  • Docking mode is your absolute friend!! Our boats are alot more responsive that most due to the design of the thrust basket, and jet. When you are going to dock the boat, or approaching the ramp, put the throttle in neutral, hit the "M" button on the dash, and select "docking mode". The dash will tell you to hold select, and you will hear a beep. Now the throttle will be limited to 3500 rpm, and will make alot less jerky with almost precision maneuverability. You can actually come to a stop, and turn the wheel on docking mode, and the boat will spin on its axis.
  • Drive the bow of the boat!!! Here is where our boats design differs to all others except the Rotax powered boats. Its a habit to turn the steering wheel opposite when going in reverse. We do it for our cars, and every other motor vehicle while backing. On this boat, EVEN IN REVERSE, YOU TURN THE WHEEL THE DIRECTION TO WANT THE BOW TO GO! So while the jet design makes this boat very maneuverable, it makes the Scarab handle very different in reverse. This is the one thing that will be the hardest to learn. Remember the red letters, get it in your head, and you will be docking the boat like a pro.
  • Slow speed is key.... When approaching a dock, slip, or the ramp. Take your time. Remember, your driving a boat that draws a ton of attention. Don't worry about the audience, and concentrate on the task at hand.
  • Use the current to your advantage. Let the current help you place the boat where you want it. Look at the other boats, and see how they are reacting to the wind, and current. You don't have a keel so our boats will tend to drift more than regular boats. Once you get the hang of it, you can almost make the Scarab go sideways. I also always put bumper tied to the front cleat. You will see that the bow tends to react more to current drag than the stern. This will save your boat from getting dinged up.
  • Neutral? Absolute neutral is the engine off. While the engine is on, there will always be water flowing through the jet.
And that's it. It will become second nature, and you will appreciate its characteristics. When your hawlin ass, you can turn the wheel, and the boat will turn like its on rails. You will see that it will start to bleed off speed, but then get ready because when your straighten the wheel a bit, it will shoot out like a bullet, and kick you back in your seat. I love that!! LOL

Here are some videos that helped me learn.

Last edited:

Ken Mendel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi -I'm new to the forum - do you suggest I post this somewhere else?

I am considering buying a 2016 195 HO Impulse as a substantial upgrade to my Seadoo Sportster and I have a handling question and a fuel question.

First - my wife and I do a lot of very slow cruising - our 16ft Sportster is a dream to handle at very slow speeds. Do you think using the Scarab docking mode would allow me to do this for long periods of time? Will the steering be stiff? Any concerns? No test drives in store for me until the temps on Lake Huron get well above the current 6 degrees.

Secondly, but not a handling question -- Do I have to use premium fuel? I thought I read where the engine has an octane sensor and adjusts itself accordingly. Will 87 or 89 octane hurt the engine?

Thanks, Ken

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don't use docking mode on my boat like @ScarabMike said I just take my time and go slow. You have to stay ahead of the boat. Like when you feel it's turning when you don't want it to counter steer and bump the throttle. But don't get overzealous with it. With the bucket scarab has you can damn near caterpillar it up to the dock. With a little bit of practice you'll be a pro in no time.