• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 215

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of performance should one expect out of a 215 with twin 150hp engines? I can't really seem to find any reviews with this configuration as I imagine most opt for the more powerful configuration.

Chad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 215 with twin 150's and feel that it is plenty of power. loaded with 8 people, coolers, and all day essentials I can still get up to about 41-42 MPH in smooth water. We can pull a wakeboarder with everyone on the boat and even a 4 person tube with young teens. The performance is more than I expected and feel it's probably the best value. There are times when I would love to have twin 200's or 250's just to go fast for a short burst, but it's not very often you even get the time to go wide open throttle anyway. Especially with children and my wife on board.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Funny, I have twin 250HP's and wish there was a twin 300HP option.
No way would I be happy with the 200 or 150s. Of course I thought the F-14A was underpowered too.

Walt

Last edited:

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Not to steal your thread here but since a bunch of 215 owners are going to chime in here. I have a 165 and its a great boat. Does alot of porpoising from 30-40mph. I want to upgrade to a 215. Do any of you have issues with the 215s porpoising?

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Not that I have noticed.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of performance should one expect out of a 215 with twin 150hp engines? I can't really seem to find any reviews with this configuration as I imagine most opt for the more powerful configuration.
Depends on what your expectations are. I don't have one but the low 40's as a top speed seems accurate from what I have heard if you are good with that you should be ok. Top speed is not my priority either but my cruising speed I like is right around 37 mph and with that config you would be pretty close to full throttle the whole time which I wouldn't enjoy. If you are good with a cruising speed around 30 mph you will likely be satisfied. My normal day on the water is aprox 35-40 miles round trip to the island and several times a year I do runs well over 120 miles round trip so I need the higher cruising speed but you may not.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking into the 21' boats but I don't want to pay for and really don't need the 500hp option. I was curious what I should expect out of twin 150s. I guess I would assume twin 200s would probably push you around 50 mph?

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking into the 21' boats but I don't want to pay for and really don't need the 500hp option. I was curious what I should expect out of twin 150s. I guess I would assume twin 200s would probably push you around 50 mph?
I have the twin 200's, top speed is 55mph. the acceleration is insane, cant imagine the 250's.... I am sure the 150's would do the trick but you don't want to regret your purchase. it also depends on where you will be boating, passenger load, etc.

I believe boattest.com did a review on the scarab 255 with twin 150's, test results should be similar to the 215 just to give you an idea.

carrie mcclure

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Funny, I have twin 250HP's and wish there was a twin 300HP option.
No way would I be happy with the 200 or 150s. Of course I thought the F-14A was underpowered too.

Walt
Are you happy with the twin 250’s? Husband is addicted to mph so going with smaller boat (215 vs 255) believing top speed to be faster with twin 250s. Have you broken the 10 hour mark yet? Still so new to the market so doing a TON of research...he (we) have to go 60+ and this seems the most hope because we are DONE with our I/O...

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I finished the boating season last year with about 19 hours so the boat is broken in and yes I am very happy with the performance. In smooth water she will go 60 MPH and will get there pretty quickly.

Capt. Disaster

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a '16 215HO with 120 hours on it and it tops out at 54mph.
Had an '09 SeaDoo 200 Speedster before this and it was a touch faster.
Wouldn't mind the Scarab being a little faster top end but that aside it's a much, much nicer boat.
My dealer for both boats - FactoryRec in Midland, Ont - has been awesome.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
For reasons beyond my control I used to own the '14 215 with 300 HP and then a '14 with 400 HP -

I would say IMHO the best value is on the 300 HP boat and it has plenty of pull/power. You will seldom be able to reach top speed with either version on that hull unless you live in a river/flat water lake. The ride will be too harsh (spine-fusing harsh) anywhere near top speed on either model if you encounter any waves (i.e. bay boating, windy days, etc). Yes, the 400 HP version will push you beyond 50 mph (when you can).

Consider reliability should be better on the 300 HP as you have no supercharger or inter-coolers to maintain. While I never had any problems with them, I always think of the supercharger/inter coolers as the weak link in the chain (expensive supercharger overhaul, potential corrosion of inter coolers, potential clogging of lines or inter cooler, 10 miles of additional hoses, etc.) -

Just another point of view... If I did it again, I would have gone and stay with the 215/300 HP version. The additional expense and complexity to go a few more mph's once in a while for a short burst was not worth it for me. Pull and acceleration was great on both (for me). Ask a dealer for a trial on both...