• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 4tec 200 HP Jet Pump Drive Shaft Loose

superboop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
So after a river/sand bar adventure that took out both wearing rings on my Scarab 255 I needed to pull both jet pumps off to rebuild. What I noticed by having them both off is that my port side drive shaft is pretty much solid but my starboard side has a bunch of play in it. I thought I had read that the drive shafts could have play but now seeing that the port doesn't do I have an issue?

Solraider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is the play at the impeller/spline or motor/spline end.

superboop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Impeller spline, where the drive shaft would go into the impeller

Solraider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you live in a seasonal climate where you have to winterize your boat its possible that the hose/seal that covers the spline/impeller joint leaked water into the spline joint. Over winter it would freeze and expand the aluminum impeller spline hub. I covered this in https://jetboaters.net/threads/drive-shaft-and-impeller-splines-stripped.23704/

Does your port side impeller fit snug on the starboard spline at least proving your spline shaft is OK and your starboard impeller is the issue.

superboop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Ok sorry I have both pumps off the drive shafts are just sitting their in the hull protector. So one drift shaft is solid, the other one moves around. Again this is with the pumps and the impellers off.

superboop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
So using your photo, if I put my hand on this i can move this shaft around on the starboard side but not on the port.

1590768519694.png

Solraider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would think that it should not deflect/move side to side. What is the max distance you can move the shaft overall, left to right, you talking 1/16", 1/8" or more?

From what the dealer told me when they repaired mine - - - The shaft seats into the motor spline and is held there by a "C" type clip. The dealer was able to replace my shaft and slide the new shaft in until the clip snapped to hold the shaft in place. Is the loose shaft sticking further out then the other - unlikely but maybe the shaft retaining clip released when you pulled the impeller off

Scarab16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
My shaft moves a little also. In the pic you can see a yellow bushing. Mine has a tiny gap around it. It is not sitting tightly around the shaft. Doesn't look like a replaceable part to me.

superboop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
yes that yellow ring would be wear the play is happening.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Your arrow is pointing to the plastic/rubber boot that is meant to thread into the impeller. It is reverse thread (lefty-tighty, righty-loosey), and should have pulled off with the impeller. Does the steel part wiggle around, or is it the plastic part?

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Your arrow is pointing to the plastic/rubber boot that is meant to thread into the impeller. It is reverse thread (lefty-tighty, righty-loosey), and should have pulled off with the impeller. Does the steel part wiggle around, or is it the plastic part?
Didn't read the post in its entirety...sorry. My comment about the plastic boot stands, but disregard the question about where the wiggle is.
Not sure what is considered excessive play, but there is typically some play left/right/up/down in the shaft.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
So using your photo, if I put my hand on this i can move this shaft around on the starboard side but not on the port.

View attachment 120762
my boot has a large tear in it. Does anyone know where I can order a new one. Its part #0463252 in the catalog but i cannot find where to purchase it.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
my boot has a large tear in it. Does anyone know where I can order a new one. Its part #0463252 in the catalog but i cannot find where to purchase it.
I'd start with a Scarab dealer followed by SeaDoo. They can cross reference.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
I found a great company online that had everything I needed and they were very knowledgeable. Cecil Marine in New Jersey! Excellent customer service and OEM
Parts in stock.