• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 Open: Helm Analog Guages and Cruise Control

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Currently drooling over a Scarab 255 Open. Wife gave me the go ahead to upgrade as long as new boat has a head. I saw one online for a crazy low price, but I noticed it has analog gauges rather than the touchscreen. See the pic below. So my question is 1) would a Scarab 255 Open with the analog gauges as seen below have cruise control? 2) I assume the touchscreen version automatically has cruise control, is this correct? 3) I don't want to pay this much for a boat and then have to drop another $1500 for a perfect pass or ridesteady type system just to wakeboard at 19mph, so does the scarab "Cruise Control" replace a PerfectPass/Ridesteady type system.

@ScarabMike

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I currently own a 2016 255 with the analog gauges and it does have cruiser control

gRobi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Cruise Control, Skimode and Dockingmode have nothing to do with the helm and can be retrofit either way.

Btw: Skimode is what you would need, not cruise control.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's likely a twin 150hp boat.
I saw this last year at a boat show it took me a while to figure what's going on with the price, lol

--

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. The Scarab website is really lacking regarding options and what the difference are. So the “ski mode” is what I want so I don't have to go with aftermarket “perfectpass” type system. Thanks! Now at least know what to ask about.
@swatski I thought it might be the cheaper G model too but has lot of options not offered on G model and it has 2 x 200hp motors (or at least thats what ad says).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I thought it might be the cheaper G model too but has lot of options not offered on G model and it has 2 x 200hp motors (or at least thats what ad says).
I would double check that, I don;t think you would be happy with 150s

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well my drooling over the 255 Open has come to an unfortunate end. Went and looked at boats today at the boat show in Raleigh NC. After crawling all over various center console brands mostly 21 to 25ft, I wasn’t extremely impressed with the Scarab. I went there with intentions of confirming that was the boat I want, but not so sure now. The fit and finish was lacking, random caulk on hardware, yellow epoxy all over the anchor locker door in the front, dash felt like cheap plastic, steering wheel was cheap plastic feeling, center console seating was very awkward, tailgate took 2 people to get down, swim ladder is useless with tailgate down, and I question the longevity of those impact graphics that are on outside/inside of boat EVERYWHERE. Even my 13 year old made a comment about how it felt “plasticy” before I said anything. Now for the good, the layout was extremely nice for entertaining and the boat had more seating than any other 25ft center console by at least 2 fold. Same with the storage, lots of storage. No other center console even competes on those criteria. And I’m not on here to bash the Scarab but was disappointed to say the least. Wanted so bad to just see it in person and say yep, that’s the one. But for what they wanted for that boat you can get a lot of other nice options on other outboard center consoles. For example I saw a very well equipped Robalo R242 with a 300hp Yamaha felt better built and was a few grand less and ten years from now will still look relevant. It’s now on my short list.
I guess the search continues.

By the way the boat show only had a Scarab 255 Open, a small Scarab, 242 Limited & a 212X. I found it quite interesting that people would be looking at the jet boats and other people would walk by and say something to the effect of “you don’t want that it’s just a big jet ski”. Heard it 4 times from 4 separate groups. Still a lot of jet misconceptions, I guess.