• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255ID - 12” Medallion Screen blank engine runs

Built87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Model: 2018 March - 255ID wake edition - medallion 12” screen upgrade without sound upgrade - currently on 82hrs

Need some help on trouble shooting my 255 ID Scarab - I have the Medallion Screen upgrade with the Viper 2 control unit.

it’s a 2018 so still under warranty but it has been with the dealer for a warranty investigation for 7 weeks now and still no resolution:
  • What lead to it: Nothing boat is dry stored always on a rack - the only issue leading up to it was a backfire error message on the STB engine. Didn’t think anything of it, shut both engines down, restarted and seemed fine. Couple weeks later had the boat launched - ignition on screen blank.
  • What next: the boat still ran fine that day and a couple days after - still with a blank screen. Then 5 days later lost throttle control - stayed in forward, would not engage neutral or reverse. Panicked a little but nursed it back to the dock
  • The dealer picked it up: the dealer collected it in the 15th Sept 2020 - it’s still there, I phone everyday they have no clue what is going on - last I heard that where checking for an electrical short cause they could not sync the display module - in the electrical diagnostic
Where I could use some help:
  • Any ideas on what is wrong?
  • The dealer is not capable to fix the warranty issue - does Scarab Care? How do I talk to them?
  • Any better technicians
I just want my boat back :(

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Not sure I can help, but where are you located. Maybe someone can advise where to go.

Built87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Not sure I can help, but where are you located. Maybe someone can advise where to go.
In Miami - Boat is currently with Riva Motor Sport - with the length of time they have had it I don’t think they know what’s going on.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
In Miami - Boat is currently with Riva Motor Sport - with the length of time they have had it I don’t think they know what’s going on.
Sorry this is happening to you. Really hope someone chimes in to help.

Lapin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
They can't replace parts in question?
Or is scarab not wanting to replace?
Don't mean to be so forward, just asking.

Built87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
That’s what I said to the dealer... I have no idea why they won’t. I am going to push them to replace what is not working. But they keep saying it will not solve the route cause...

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Did u buy the boat from them? If so you need to start being a di.k to them. They have engineers they can call and get help right from scarab. I was down this road and even had scarab reach out to me. Scarab has been top notch with me. They have procedures for everything....to help you out is kinda hard....i would like to hook the lap top to it and see if you can communicate with the head and the ibr module ...those are the two problems you are having...my ibr did what yours was doing it and had a short in it...just had to do a new one. Also do you turn the battery switch off when your not using the boat?

Built87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Did u buy the boat from them? If so you need to start being a di.k to them. They have engineers they can call and get help right from scarab. I was down this road and even had scarab reach out to me. Scarab has been top notch with me. They have procedures for everything....to help you out is kinda hard....i would like to hook the lap top to it and see if you can communicate with the head and the ibr module ...those are the two problems you are having...my ibr did what yours was doing it and had a short in it...just had to do a new one. Also do you turn the battery switch off when your not using the boat?
I am pushing hard at the moment - to the point that they are avoiding my calls. I trying to escalate up the Riva Motorsport chain and looking into trying to get hold of someone at Scarab. Do you know the best way to get hold of Scarab? I have tried to reach out online but no luck yet. I am also looking to get hold of Medallion.

- If you in my area I think they might have referenced your case when I last got hold of someone at the dealer?
- They indicated they cant communicate with one of the modules - i am not sure which one's are not communicating
- I turn off the battery switch everytime I dry strore the boat - do you think this could be a cause?

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
The Medallion system very rarely ever goes bad from what I understand. Although you need to understand it. After you're done with the boat every time you should turn the battery switch off. I found this out the hard way if you leave the battery switch on all the time the boat will do funny things. What I mean by that is for instance the boat can be off but you still have the battery switch on and your phone compare to the radio which is inside The Medallion system and play the radio. I went round and around with Scarab about this and probably spent a good hour on the phone with them and back and forth with emails. The system is made to power down and reboot every time where it will act up. I even started the boat one time and my screen was completely dark. I found out that before you start to boat you should turn the key on and let the screen come to light and boot up then start the boat. Sounds pretty simple I just need to replace whatever module they can't talk to. they're probably stumped though on what to do. I'm still a firm believer that you need to go ahead and buy a can do even though the boat is under warranty so you can plug into it and see what is going on. Although if your screen would power up you can get your fault codes of The Medallion system

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Also The Medallion screen needs to be updated to the current software that also could be a problem.

Built87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice, would look into fixing it myself but do feel the dealer has an obligation.

Update: Scarab has replied and has contacted the dealer - they said they had no record of my issues which make me furious and show the dealer lied or was talking someone else not at Scarab HO.

GM of the dealer also finally phoned today after 9 weeks!!!! They seemed surprised that I just wanted it fixed and push them to start look at what component needs to be replaced and outline a plan for cost and timeframe.

If we cant get anywhere by the end of tomorrow - anyone know of a good technician in south Florida that I could take it too?

Built87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Latest update - I finally pushed the dealership to start looking at the replacing components. They tried a new Viper II command unit which did not fix the problem. It did however lead them to believe that there is an issue with the 12" screen?!?! Which i would think is the first place you start to look!!!

Make me so made this situation. i have also finally got hold of someone at Medallion and Scarab - which seems to be some motivation for the dealership to get the problem resolved.

I guess no Thanks Giving boat trips will happen this weekend.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would be in weekly contact with Scarab at this point until the dealership has it fixed. Let them know what kinda shady shit the dealership has done and how much you've talked about it online so far.

Mxgirl1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The Medallion system very rarely ever goes bad from what I understand. Although you need to understand it. After you're done with the boat every time you should turn the battery switch off. I found this out the hard way if you leave the battery switch on all the time the boat will do funny things. What I mean by that is for instance the boat can be off but you still have the battery switch on and your phone compare to the radio which is inside The Medallion system and play the radio. I went round and around with Scarab about this and probably spent a good hour on the phone with them and back and forth with emails. The system is made to power down and reboot every time where it will act up. I even started the boat one time and my screen was completely dark. I found out that before you start to boat you should turn the key on and let the screen come to light and boot up then start the boat. Sounds pretty simple I just need to replace whatever module they can't talk to. they're probably stumped though on what to do. I'm still a firm believer that you need to go ahead and buy a can do even though the boat is under warranty so you can plug into it and see what is going on. Although if your screen would power up you can get your fault codes of The Medallion system
Model: 2018 March - 255ID wake edition - medallion 12” screen upgrade without sound upgrade - currently on 82hrs

Need some help on trouble shooting my 255 ID Scarab - I have the Medallion Screen upgrade with the Viper 2 control unit.

it’s a 2018 so still under warranty but it has been with the dealer for a warranty investigation for 7 weeks now and still no resolution:
  • What lead to it: Nothing boat is dry stored always on a rack - the only issue leading up to it was a backfire error message on the STB engine. Didn’t think anything of it, shut both engines down, restarted and seemed fine. Couple weeks later had the boat launched - ignition on screen blank.
  • What next: the boat still ran fine that day and a couple days after - still with a blank screen. Then 5 days later lost throttle control - stayed in forward, would not engage neutral or reverse. Panicked a little but nursed it back to the dock
  • The dealer picked it up: the dealer collected it in the 15th Sept 2020 - it’s still there, I phone everyday they have no clue what is going on - last I heard that where checking for an electrical short cause they could not sync the display module - in the electrical diagnostic
Where I could use some help:
  • Any ideas on what is wrong?
  • The dealer is not capable to fix the warranty issue - does Scarab Care? How do I talk to them?
  • Any better technicians
I just want my boat back :(
Make them do a software update

guppydriver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Latest update - I finally pushed the dealership to start looking at the replacing components. They tried a new Viper II command unit which did not fix the problem. It did however lead them to believe that there is an issue with the 12" screen?!?! Which i would think is the first place you start to look!!!

Make me so made this situation. i have also finally got hold of someone at Medallion and Scarab - which seems to be some motivation for the dealership to get the problem resolved.

Would love to know if you finally got this problem resolved and what caused it.

Mxgirl1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Would love to know if you finally got this problem resolved and what caused it.
i had a blank screen on and off at one point as well. and i thought it was cuz the extreem sun and heat was on it. so i started covering with a towel andmprotecting it from direct heat. the dealer did software updates. i still continue to cover the command center. i havent had any issues since, but thats not to say yours our dif issues. i am not a computer techu expert but i am just sharing info so people can gather them together for their own issues.

mcavoyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
i had a blank screen on and off at one point as well. and i thought it was cuz the extreem sun and heat was on it. so i started covering with a towel andmprotecting it from direct heat. the dealer did software updates. i still continue to cover the command center. i havent had any issues since, but thats not to say yours our dif issues. i am not a computer techu expert but i am just sharing info so people can gather them together for their own issues.
Tinted windows help out significantly with reducing heat on unit.

pabs1278

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 G
Boat Length

I am have the same issue. My touch screen will not come on but the engines, lights, blower, even the radio came on. Did you resolve the issue, if so can you share how if was fixed? thanks

mcavoyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I am have the same issue. My touch screen will not come on but the engines, lights, blower, even the radio came on. Did you resolve the issue, if so can you share how if was fixed? thanks
Loose connections at the battery. Check your connections there. Make sure terminals are clean as well, no corrosion.