• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Advice Please

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Jacques #11 is the Main Problem for everyone who owns one of these boats. I love my boat, but I am not impressed with the Service Side for this boat.. BRP has stepped up in two of my cases to get me back on the water...

Jacques

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Slugger55 Unfortunately true, there is no real commitment from the service side to the brand. I have also found there is no communication between builder and my dealer either which make the other problems in the service side worst. I am glad BRP supported their part of the business and of course, to the customers' benefit.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I highly suggest that you find someone down there that knows their way around Rotax. I heard there is a dealer in Tampa and Jacksonville that has good help.. I know it is a drive from the Miami area, but would be well worth it. I drive from Panama City to Pensacola...

Jacques

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the advise! I will consider it...! We do need good support

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for feedback everyone. Again, I agree Scarab is much more modern looking and more attractive boat. Dealer support, warranty/reliability is a concern for any newer (and smaller company) boat I guess, but is concerning. Still working with Scarab dealer to see if I can't get price in the AR195 range, or at least close. If I can get price lowered I'll probably go with AR195.

Last edited:

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've had my 2016 255 HOI since June and have put 63 hours on her. Love it. No problems whatsoever...knock on wood.

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2016 215 that I had custom built. Its really an HO Impulse Wake Edition, but in blue. I have just under 100hrs on her. I Run her in the lakes in North Carolina in the summer and in the salt water in Jupiter, Florida through winter. I love this boat. Its been everything I wanted and then some. It takes off like a rocket. Gets on plane in about two seconds. Ive had it up to 68mph on a glassy morning in Florida. Handles great at all speeds like its running on rails! Fit and finish is first rate. No rattles or squeaks. Its a joy to drive, and I drive her hard quite a bit too. I highly reccommend.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I love my 215HO Scarab, but buyer beware:
I have 105 hours with the boat and about 18 months.

At least in my experience there is absolutely no service or customer support for Scarab. You have Marine Max as the only dealer and in my impression their techs were never trained on the Rotax package and don't care too much for it. Even an oil change took three trips (I live 50 miles away) and discussions with BRP by the dealer to figure out how to reset the oil light (makes me only wonder if they use right oil/etc), and yes, it was $400 plus to change the oil. I learned to do it on my own. Get CANDOO PRO, a 2012 Seadoo service manual and forget about the dealer.

If you call BRP support on your own they will not talk to you, you need to be a registered dealer (not sure why they even list their support line). If you call Scarab they refer you to BRP, it is a joke. They can't even sell me the service manual (dealer/Scarab/BRP all don't know what a service manual is or how to sell me one). Under no circumstance will I ever take my boat to Marine Max again (even for warranty work) they are that bad. I'm sure in your case they set you up with a BRP engineer since you were BUYING a boat.

I think your best bet if you can't work on your own on your boat and you want someone to work on your boat is to take it to a Seadoo tech. There are plenty of people that work on Seadoo Jets and the engine package is 99.99% the same.

Issues so far:
-40 Hours: Intermittent engine stalling (would not restart, left me in the middle of lake a few times to limp back home). The dealer took weeks with the boat and every time I picked it up they claimed they had fixed the issue. In the end, tired of going to the dealer I found out on my own the breakers were corroded (cheap chinese breakers) and would not allow current to go through (they were not tripped). Changed them to Blue Sea breakers and problem was solved.

-70 Hours: cable or harness from regulator to fuse box gave up. Took it to Dealer for warranty work and they cut the wires/harness and improvised a connection without breaker/fuse (also looked really ugly). After MONTHS of arguing back and forth they agreed to replace with original harness.

Allow me to suggest a galvanized double axle trailer. I have the single axle black trailer. Gatorhyde coating is a joke. Some non-structural welds starting to come off too. I'm very diligent about rinsing the trailer every time I go to salt water, seems to be a waste of time...

I really love the look of Scarab, but I would be inclined to consider a Chap Vortex (seems like a better hull construction, good details) if I was buying another boat, dealer and customer service killed Scarab for me.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I love my 215HO Scarab, but buyer beware:
I have 105 hours with the boat and about 18 months.

At least in my experience there is absolutely no service or customer support for Scarab. You have Marine Max as the only dealer and in my impression their techs were never trained on the Rotax package and don't care too much for it. Even an oil change took three trips (I live 50 miles away) and discussions with BRP by the dealer to figure out how to reset the oil light (makes me only wonder if they use right oil/etc), and yes, it was $400 plus to change the oil. I learned to do it on my own. Get CANDOO PRO, a 2012 Seadoo service manual and forget about the dealer.

If you call BRP support on your own they will not talk to you, you need to be a registered dealer (not sure why they even list their support line). If you call Scarab they refer you to BRP, it is a joke. They can't even sell me the service manual (dealer/Scarab/BRP all don't know what a service manual is or how to sell me one). Under no circumstance will I ever take my boat to Marine Max again (even for warranty work) they are that bad. I'm sure in your case they set you up with a BRP engineer since you were BUYING a boat.

I think your best bet if you can't work on your own on your boat and you want someone to work on your boat is to take it to a Seadoo tech. There are plenty of people that work on Seadoo Jets and the engine package is 99.99% the same.

Issues so far:
-40 Hours: Intermittent engine stalling (would not restart, left me in the middle of lake a few times to limp back home). The dealer took weeks with the boat and every time I picked it up they claimed they had fixed the issue. In the end, tired of going to the dealer I found out on my own the breakers were corroded (cheap chinese breakers) and would not allow current to go through (they were not tripped). Changed them to Blue Sea breakers and problem was solved.

-70 Hours: cable or harness from regulator to fuse box gave up. Took it to Dealer for warranty work and they cut the wires/harness and improvised a connection without breaker/fuse (also looked really ugly). After MONTHS of arguing back and forth they agreed to replace with original harness.

Allow me to suggest a galvanized double axle trailer. I have the single axle black trailer. Gatorhyde coating is a joke. Some non-structural welds starting to come off too. I'm very diligent about rinsing the trailer every time I go to salt water, seems to be a waste of time...

I really love the look of Scarab, but I would be inclined to consider a Chap Vortex (seems like a better hull construction, good details) if I was buying another boat, dealer and customer service killed Scarab for me.
Really sorry to hear that you had so many problems with customer service. Scarabs are beautiful boats. Not sure why some companies give such a low priority to customer service. Any idiot knows that and unsatisfied customer is NEVER a return customer, and they have friends/peers that they will surely relate their experiences too. Chaps seem to be great boats, and I have not read many complaints. However, yours is far from the first I have read about Scarab service. Good luck in your quest for a new boat!

DisapointedScarabOwner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Okay, I'm new here but have taken time to read days worth of threads on Scarabs vs Yamaha Jet Boats. I know Yamaha warranty, reliability and resale value is best in class, not even worth arguing or discussing further.

My dilemma, I ABSOLUTELY love the scarab. The interior, exterior, accessories, ect...over any of the Yamaha's....even the new 195sx and ar. I've looked at both 100's of times now scarab layout is better, swim platform, folding seats for back, LED's, premium stereo with controls on back, digital speedo's, awesome graphics and interior design next to none. The Yamaha is dated and don't have half the features I mentioned, which are important to me and how we utilize our boat.

I know, for the most part, forums are where owners go to complain about there boat and rarely visit just to talk about how awesome their boat is. I also know, from previous boats and just general know that boat quality has not reached levels of Automobiles. I also know the 2014 and 2015 model years were first years for Scarab Jet Boats, so I would expect problems.

With all of this said, I have a hell of a deal waiting on 2016 Impulse. They are trying to move it since it's fall here and boats don't sell this time of year in Michigan.

Do I take a chance with 2016 or 2017 Scarab Impulse 195, hoping they've fixed a lot of issues I've seen here?

Are their Scarab owners that have a good experience? I've seen all the unhappy owners on here?

Thanks for any input, it is appreciated.

I am new here as well. I hope that you did not purchase a Scarab yet. There are way too many issues with these boats. I am one of the guinea pigs who rushed out and bought the Scarab when it came out. I bought a lemon and I've had everything replaced from the hull, seats, wiring harness, cushions, gauges, etc. There are always loose screws everywhere from the windshield and seats to other parts that I do not know where the washers/screws come from, they end up in the engine compartment somehow. . I've had issues with my supercharger, impeller, engine issues, lighting and electrical issues. Save yourself a lot of hassle and look for something outside the Scarab Line. I have been handed off to two different dealers, Scarb, BPR and Benetau Groupe. I'm still trying to resolve many of the issues. The only thing this boat has going for it is its looks, they are unreliable and dangerous.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am new here as well. I hope that you did not purchase a Scarab yet. There are way too many issues with these boats. I am one of the guinea pigs who rushed out and bought the Scarab when it came out. I bought a lemon and I've had everything replaced from the hull, seats, wiring harness, cushions, gauges, etc. There are always loose screws everywhere from the windshield and seats to other parts that I do not know where the washers/screws come from, they end up in the engine compartment somehow. . I've had issues with my supercharger, impeller, engine issues, lighting and electrical issues. Save yourself a lot of hassle and look for something outside the Scarab Line. I have been handed off to two different dealers, Scarb, BPR and Benetau Groupe. I'm still trying to resolve many of the issues. The only thing this boat has going for it is its looks, they are unreliable and dangerous.
Sorry about your problems....makes mine seem pretty minor...Love the boat and everything works great except the highly touted DRIVE control....BUt I only use that when I am towing, and I can tow without it...I did for years! I hope you eventually get some satisfaction and results...it is so discouraging to have something the you really like, but cant use it because of faults!

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Exactly....I too have been enjoying my scarab without major problems (yet) with the exception of a wiring issue on the depth finder. But there is plenty of history on the first year models. Sorry to hear and I bet there is a lot of frustration.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I think lots of the frustration & issues were with those 2014 & 2015 models, looks like things got much better since 2016. Those Scarab255 are beautiful boats.
Going away from MarineMax, & transferring to a more powersports oriented dealer network seems to have been a good decision.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here is an update on my boat.... I traded in my '14 215HO for a '17 255HO earlier this year - How does that saying goes? guess its better the devil you know... We love our new Scarab 255, learned a lot from the 215 and beside the issues I previously described in the post (which were a pain) never had a MAJOR problem in the 125 hours I put on that boat. Couple of warranty issues with new boat and Scarab/MMAX responded very well (nothing power train related.) We'll see/hope how service improves.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went ahead and bought the Yamaha AR195. I've been very happy with it. I really liked the looks of the Scarab and some of the extras that came with. In the end, resale seemed good on Yamaha and I know there are thousands out there in-case of issue where I needed parts or service. I took the conservative approach. I still love the looks of the Scarab and some it's more modern features. The clean-out port in the Yamaha was another reason I chose them, I've found that to be pretty useful on weedy lakes.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@danclemo thanks for the update, I really love the looks of the Scarab also but like I said before it's a lot of YOUR money to spend.

Keep us updated on your boat ownership journey!

Blake Fenton

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here is an update on my boat.... I traded in my '14 215HO for a '17 255HO earlier this year - How does that saying goes? guess its better the devil you know... We love our new Scarab 255, learned a lot from the 215 and beside the issues I previously described in the post (which were a pain) never had a MAJOR problem in the 125 hours I put on that boat. Couple of warranty issues with new boat and Scarab/MMAX responded very well (nothing power train related.) We'll see/hope how service improves.
I bought a "new" 2017 255 HO impulse wake edition...i'm still trying to get an owners manual for it...the one they gave me was for a smaller boat and doesn't even talk about some of the things mine has...do you have an owners manual for your 2017 255? I'm trying to figure out how to use the radio and change inputs etc.

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You would think a owners manual would be a essential item you would receive with a new purchase. Coming from a company that doesn't even have there 2019 model lineup on there website yet I'm really not surprised .