• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab electrical issue with switches

jeremyrobert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
I didn’t properly label my battery cables when I pulled the batteries out this winter. I crossed two of them. Stereo won’t work and the bilge piump just runs. Has anyone ever done this? It’s like my switches are all stuck on? Any idea on stereo I can’t find a blown fuze? Engines run great.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Ouch. lol Sorry, I'm sure you're not the first one. Be very careful next time (obviously). Also, keep the master switch off until everything is verified correctly connected.

I feel like you need to double check fuses across the board. Do you have a multimeter? I'd check for continuity on each one to make sure. Then try things again.

If the stereo isn't working still, I'd connect it directly to the 12V bypassing everything. That will allow you to confirm what's going on with the stereo. Does your stereo have an inline fuse near it too? Some do. Check that.

Switches... I'd check the switches with the multimeter again. Make sure they are putting out voltage where they're supposed to. Otherwise, sounds like you could have blown your switches.

Similar story with the bilge. That also has a switch. Possibly blew that switch too?

Sounds like your switches are the main culprits.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That's pretty weird. The switches are all on independent circuits, so unlikely all the switches themselves got fried. I haven't pulled the cover off the electrical panel on my 215, but there are likely + and - bus bars for the accessory circuits. It is possible that something heated up and welded the + bus to a ground. This would make all the accessories run regardless of switch position. It's a pain to get at because of the engine cover, but I'd start by pulling the cover off the electrical panel and look/smell for fried wires or metal.

orobotheman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Ouch. lol Sorry, I'm sure you're not the first one. Be very careful next time (obviously). Also, keep the master switch off until everything is verified correctly connected.

I feel like you need to double check fuses across the board. Do you have a multimeter? I'd check for continuity on each one to make sure. Then try things again.

If the stereo isn't working still, I'd connect it directly to the 12V bypassing everything. That will allow you to confirm what's going on with the stereo. Does your stereo have an inline fuse near it too? Some do. Check that.

Switches... I'd check the switches with the multimeter again. Make sure they are putting out voltage where they're supposed to. Otherwise, sounds like you could have blown your switches.

Similar story with the bilge. That also has a switch. Possibly blew that switch too?

Sounds like your switches are the main culprits.
Does anyone know where I can order replacement switches for my Scarab?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Most of the switches come from Scarab directly. They obviously purchase them somewhere else... but you're best bet is to contact a Scarab dealer and order it through them. You can find the Scarab parts here: https://parts.fwdealer.com/

If you can identify the part number on that site first, then it's easy to order from a Scarab dealer willing to ship.

Joninxs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I didn’t properly label my battery cables when I pulled the batteries out this winter. I crossed two of them. Stereo won’t work and the bilge piump just runs. Has anyone ever done this? It’s like my switches are all stuck on? Any idea on stereo I can’t find a blown fuze? Engines run great.
Well your not alone, I just did the same thing. Except for different problems. My red lights around the push-button starts are lit even with the batteries switched off. Plus it won't start. Stereo works, horn works, dash comes alive when I turn the key but then I get a warning buzzer and the wrench sign on my dash (check engine). I'm curious if you figured yours out and if you have any troubleshooting tips. I know the positive and negative wires are correct but all these yellow wires have me confused. They are labeled "battery" but not positive or negative.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yellow = negative.

Yeah, you'll have to check all connections/instruments/pumps, etc. to see which ones are working or not. Then start with fuses.

Joninxs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yellow = negative.

Yeah, you'll have to check all connections/instruments/pumps, etc. to see which ones are working or not. Then start with fuses.
Thanks for the HELP!