• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Hull Design / Performance

Frank S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could provide me with how well the hull designs works on choppy / rough water. My wife was wanting to know if it would handle better than our old boat in rough water. We had a 21.5 foot Four Winns Sundowner before. I told it would just because of the size difference. But with the hull shape being different I have no clue how well it handles. We bought a 2017 255 Platinum Edition which we do not take delivery until april. Any insight would be appreciated.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could provide me with how well the hull designs works on choppy / rough water. My wife was wanting to know if it would handle better than our old boat in rough water. We had a 21.5 foot Four Winns Sundowner before. I told it would just because of the size difference. But with the hull shape being different I have no clue how well it handles. We bought a 2017 255 Platinum Edition which we do not take delivery until april. Any insight would be appreciated.
Congratulations on the new purchase, you will love the boat! - for the acceleration, maneuverability, and speed.

Rough water handling... well, not so much. These boats a very light with a fairly flat bottom. The interior design is spectacular - providing more usable cockpit space than many much larger vessels. However, those boats' sterns tend to be recessed under the integrated swim platform (which count towards the length), so if you are comparing the 255 to an older 215 Fourwinns (with a strait down transom) - the length of hull actually in the water will be about the same.

If I were you, I would plan on adding trim tabs, we have some great designs from Lectrotabs that work great in new 24' Yamahas.

--

tim maneval

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi, where are you boating at? I boated in Charleston with a 24 Yamaha and now in tampa with a 255. Both boats bounced a lot in heavy shop. Both boats are very dry due the pickle fork design in the front. I have not added tabs to either boat. I like the scarab ride a little better. It may be the longer length and weight, but I have 6 year olds who ride in the front with no issue with crossing a choppy harbor and etc.