• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Rotax fault code P0130

Britpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Boat is a 2025 Scarab with twin supercharged Rotax 4-tec. Engines have cat converters. I keep getting a P0130 code " Heater power stage fault for Lambda sensor upstream of catalyst open" on the starboard engine. I've installed new O2 sensors upstream and downstream of the cat but the code will not go away. Any ideas where I should start looking next?

Britpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Boat is a 2025 Scarab with twin supercharged Rotax 4-tec. Engines have cat converters. I keep getting a P0130 code " Heater power stage fault for Lambda sensor upstream of catalyst open" on the starboard engine. I've installed new O2 sensors upstream and downstream of the cat but the code will not go away. Any ideas where I should start looking next?
Typo. That was meant to read 2015 Scarab!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
How many hours on the engine SINCE the change? It can take multiple sessions/hours before codes clear.

Britpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Cats are natural grey

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I'm not sure if the CanDoo Pro will interface with these engines, I believe it does. I have it, I should connect it and see. The O2 sensor codes are probably able to be cleared via the CanDoPro, then if your error code returns you may have leaking catalyzers.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I have Candoo. It does. And yes, you can clear codes.

Britpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have cleared the code and it returns after a few minutes. I'm not sure its a leaking cat. The description of the code is " Heater power stage fault for Lambda sensor upstream of catalyst open" makes me think there is a wiring problem. Problem is I can not find a wiring diagram anywhere for these Cat equipped supercharged Rotax. Anybody have one?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
How's your battery first? I know many have reported codes because of a low battery.

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
In regards to the service bulletin, has anyone confirmed if the issue is covered after 36 months? I saw a post somewhere that stated BRP extended coverage on the motors (cats and O2 sensors) to 10 years. I am the 2nd owner, with the boat/motors originally put into service in July 2015. I am working with a Scarab dealer out of OK (I live in Austin area) that confirms the bulletin but doesn't see anything that states the cats or sensors are covered beyond 36 months. Need some help! I have a CANDOO Pro and have recorded P0130 on my port motor, along with a check engine light and code 1130 on the engine cluster message. Thanks!

(Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion(MPS) )

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
In regards to the service bulletin, has anyone confirmed if the issue is covered after 36 months? I saw a post somewhere that stated BRP extended coverage on the motors (cats and O2 sensors) to 10 years. I am the 2nd owner, with the boat/motors originally put into service in July 2015. I am working with a Scarab dealer out of OK (I live in Austin area) that confirms the bulletin but doesn't see anything that states the cats or sensors are covered beyond 36 months. Need some help! I have a CANDOO Pro and have recorded P0130 on my port motor, along with a check engine light and code 1130 on the engine cluster message. Thanks!

(Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion(MPS) )
Yes, I have the original "gray" cats.......

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I spoke and corresponded with BRP Marine Division regarding Service Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion (MPS). Updated phone number: (844) 345-4277 and email address: e2case@brp.com.

Although I have a 2016 Scarab with 2014 model year BRP motors, the service bulletin for catalysts and O2 sensors issues are confirmed recall/warranty work. They never provided any "time extension" on the warranty period but mentioned it had something to do with the emissions aspect. Email from BRP: "I did verify with the technical team the open recalls on your engines will be covered by BRP. Please take the boat to one of the dealers I provided. If your dealer has any questions, they can contact the BRP technical support team to guide them through the process."

Unfortunately, I need to haul my boat 2.5 hours north to Fort Worth for the work (no shop in Austin will work on a Scarab despite the common BRP motor). Although only 87 motor hours, I am considering replacing the superchargers (SC) with the updated maintenance-free models and changing the carbon seals if indeed the catalyst assemblies are going to be pulled (save on breakdown costs). With my motors being "AA" models, the SCs call for a 200hr rebuild. AK and later models (2017 timeframe) have the new SCs installed (which are reported able to backfit AA-AG models). Will update the forum as I work through the process.

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I spoke and corresponded with BRP Marine Division regarding Service Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion (MPS). Updated phone number: (844) 345-4277 and email address: e2case@brp.com.

Although I have a 2016 Scarab with 2014 model year BRP motors, the service bulletin for catalysts and O2 sensors issues are confirmed recall/warranty work. They never provided any "time extension" on the warranty period but mentioned it had something to do with the emissions aspect. Email from BRP: "I did verify with the technical team the open recalls on your engines will be covered by BRP. Please take the boat to one of the dealers I provided. If your dealer has any questions, they can contact the BRP technical support team to guide them through the process."

Unfortunately, I need to haul my boat 2.5 hours north to Fort Worth for the work (no shop in Austin will work on a Scarab despite the common BRP motor). Although only 87 motor hours, I am considering replacing the superchargers (SC) with the updated maintenance-free models and changing the carbon seals if indeed the catalyst assemblies are going to be pulled (save on breakdown costs). With my motors being "AA" models, the SCs call for a 200hr rebuild. AK and later models (2017 timeframe) have the new SCs installed (which are reported able to backfit AA-AG models). Will update the forum as I work through the process.
As follow-up, I just got my boat back from the dealer that did the warranty/recall work on my motors for the O2 sensor/catalyst issues. ZERO cost to me for the work, despite the warranty being expired (ie. recall work). They did not replace the catalyst nor replace the gaskets (only had to inspect gaskets). The dealer re-torqued the three-piece assembly per the recall details. I had one failed O2 sensor (I was aware when I took it in); however, the recall does not cover a replacement. I had a spare on hand and replaced myself as the dealer wanted $155. I did not replace the superchargers (SC) as the new models were on indefinite backorder. I should have two more boating seasons before I hit 200 hours so not a biggie. Attached are the three pages from the official recall information that the service department gave me.

Attachments

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Old Tailhooker,
I need to have that service bulletin done on my Scarab also. Who did you take it to in the DFW Area?
What did you fly?

Walt (F-14s)

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Old Tailhooker,
I need to have that service bulletin done on my Scarab also. Who did you take it to in the DFW Area?
What did you fly?

Walt (F-14s)
North Texas Marine (Fort Worth dealer).....there is another one in Gainesville, TX.

Brad/Flats (EA-6Bs)

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am familiar. I sent you a private message so we can talk offline.

Thanks,

Walt