• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab - stock depth finder installation

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Greetings to all, new to the forum here...

I have a Scarab 215 HO and I bought the stock depth transducer as an option. I will be installing myself and wonder if anyone can post a picture of how the stock unit looks when mounted on their Scarab to help with the process.

My boat has the locator plate already in from the factory and the wires are in place, but I'm wondering how to attach the unit to the hull (glue?!)

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In a little confused. There is a depth finder already built in to the boat. Why would they sell you a transducer? The oem one works with the digital dash, and it can be accessed by searching the menu.

Did you sea trial your boat?

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
ScarabMike, my 215HO did not came with the OEM transducer from the factory. I ordered it from Scarab as an option since it was not factory installed. I have been very confused too at what is supposed to be std. vs. option on this boat. Strange, the locator plate and the harness are there, but the transducer was not, so I bought it from Scarab. Dealer wanted 3 hours of labor to set it in place.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the wires are there, then attach the sensor with 3m 5200. That way its secure but you can replace it in the future if it goes bad. Don't use permanent glue.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks ScarabMike, the wires are there already as part of the OEM harness, it looks like a plug and play installation, I just needed to know what kind of glue is used... I will try the 3M 5200.

Cs419

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want one, but the deal quoted me $300 hours in labor. How much did you get yours for Rick? Will call around and have a dealer send it straight to my house. Soon as my boat get back from the dealer for troubleshooting and the 1st oil change I will look for the locator plate. Do you have pictures before and after install?

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I want one, but the deal quoted me $300 hours in labor. How much did you get yours for Rick? Will call around and have a dealer send it straight to my house. Soon as my boat get back from the dealer for troubleshooting and the 1st oil change I will look for the locator plate. Do you have pictures before and after install?
This is what the factory installation looks like. It's on the port side behind engine, the mounting plate is typically there even if the transducer is not. Looks like they just use marine silicone to set in place (?) the wiring should be there and it is supposed to be plug and play. The wire coming out the transducer is pointing starboard.

Attachments

Cs419

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dealer said I don't have a plate factory installled on my 165. Thanks for the pictures as I will check if out once she comes back from the dealer.

Supercharged195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
My boat did not come with a transducer from the factory but I had dealer install it. I am having problems though. I can not read depth over 6 feet. It is mounted on the port aft section of the bilge behind the engine. I do not see a "mounting plate" it is just silicone directly to the bilge area. Could this possibly be why its not working properly?

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My boat did not come with a transducer from the factory but I had dealer install it. I am having problems though. I can not read depth over 6 feet. It is mounted on the port aft section of the bilge behind the engine. I do not see a "mounting plate" it is just silicone directly to the bilge area. Could this possibly be why its not working properly?
I'm surprised they did not used a mounting plate as this is available in the catalogue, but in my experience my dealer can't tell left from right, most times they don't know anything about Scarab. That being said though, the mounting plate is more of a guide than anything, I doubt it would be the issue. Look at the picture in this thread and see if the orientation seems correct (the transducer has an angled face that goes against the hull, if the orientation is not correct it will be shooting the beam sideways). Just a though...

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Anyone experience issues where you only get depth readings at idle? I have a brand new 255 impulse HO and I'm only getting readings when sitting still or just above idle. Any higher speed and my readings go all over the place. Any idea what may be wrong. I have a feeling my dealer is going to tell me it is operating the way it is supposed but my 2014 195 impulse HO gave me readings at all speeds. Anyone experienced this and repaired it ?

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here is what it looks like in the hull. Appears right.

Attachments

jetboy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Was just informed that my gauge cluster would have to be upgraded in order to hook up the OEM finder. I saw another thread (related to the cruise, eco, etc. modes) where someone upgraded their gauge cluster. Is this the best route or are there any other options? Thanks!