• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab tight against winch roller

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Ok this is embarrassing because I have been boating for over 50 years, but I have an issue I do not understand.

My 255 25 footer is the largest and heaviest boat I have owned and I thought I knew how to put a boat on a trailer. No matter what I try I cannot get the bow to rest on the winch roller once pulled out of the water. When the boat is winched on the trailer the bow is tight against the roller, but the boat pulls back as I pull out of the water. The bow ends up three inches from resting on the roller. I have had the same issue on four different ramps with different angles and replaced the winch strap because I thought it was stretching. The boat is not sliding back on the bunks. I have tried putting the trailer further in the water and tried wetting the bunks and power driving to boat tight against the roller. Every time the bow is tight against the roller when in the water but then pulls away as I drive out of the water. I tried routing and tightening the strap above and below the roller.

I think the boat is rocking back to match the trailer angle therefore pulling the bow away from the roller. Just don't know what to do about it. Never experienced this before.

Any suggestions?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok this is embarrassing because I have been boating for over 50 years, but I have an issue I do not understand.

My 255 25 footer is the largest and heaviest boat I have owned and I thought I knew how to put a boat on a trailer. No matter what I try I cannot get the bow to rest on the winch roller once pulled out of the water. When the boat is winched on the trailer the bow is tight against the roller, but the boat pulls back as I pull out of the water. The bow ends up three inches from resting on the roller. I have had the same issue on four different ramps with different angles and replaced the winch strap because I thought it was stretching. The boat is not sliding back on the bunks. I have tried putting the trailer further in the water and tried wetting the bunks and power driving to boat tight against the roller. Every time the bow is tight against the roller when in the water but then pulls away as I drive out of the water. I tried routing and tightening the strap above and below the roller.

I think the boat is rocking back to match the trailer angle therefore pulling the bow away from the roller. Just don't know what to do about it. Never experienced this before.

Any suggestions?
When winching in I always put pressure on the strap with my other hand to keep any potential slack in the reel.

D_scarab_ny

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 215 and it always happens to me. I actually press hard on my breaks to get the bow back on the roller

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I tried that last night. I don't have the brakes to stop fast enough to make the boat slide on the bunks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In addition to the winch I have a ratchet strap I added at the front, same as the rear strap, it pull the boat down and tight to the roller. I never liked that the trailer never came with a chain so I added the strap.

James McDougall

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I also have a 215.....This happens to me everytime. I manually torque it forward with pure man strength......takes about 5 or 6 cranks. I wouldn't envy doing it with a 255 though! I also use the brake trick....works occasionally but my Acadia isn't ideal for towing....it works ok, but I'm glad my boat usually goes in a slip and stays there most of the season. We only occasionally take it to other lakes and places.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I finally found the problem with me trailering the boat. The winch mount post was welded on the trailer cocked to one side at the factory. So much so that when I pull the bow to the roller it pulls the boat off center on the bunks. The last time the boat was trailered I noticed there was a gap between the hull and bunk on the front of one bunk which explains why the stern is always pushed to one side. Using jacks I positioned the boat squarely on the bunks and the winch is two inches to the left. A square verifies the manufacturing defect.

I have been dealing with a battery drain issue for a year now I found the Scarab trailer winch post is cocked. I will have to cut the post, center and reweld. This is a galvanized trailer with rubberized coating so I will have to get that all back to looking decent. Very frustrating!

IMG_2618.JPG IMG_2617.JPG

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried that last night. I don't have the brakes to stop fast enough to make the boat slide on the bunks. Thanks for the suggestion.
I had this issue last night as I wasn't able to winch my boat up high enough on the trailer (It winched tight and I felt I was going to break my winch if I cranked any harder). I pulled out of the water onto flat ground and pulled forward at a few mph and tapped the brakes. The boat moved all the way forward and was much easier to secure. I think I may make this part of my usual routine before I leave as I was shocked at how much the boat had left to move forward. Rear straps stayed tight the entire trip home.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on your picture I think your biggest issue is the winch strap to boat hook should go under the roller, not over it.

That alone would keep it from seating correctly. ??

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Based on your picture I think your biggest issue is the winch strap to boat hook should go under the roller, not over it.
Exactly what I noticed and was about to suggest. That will help dramatically. Pull the boat up on the roller and then tighten the strap from under the roller before you pull out of the water.

I actually have a running debate with my father in law about this. He's boated his whole life and has been a boat owner with many more years of experience than me and he refuses to place the strap under the roller. Old dog, new tricks analogy applies!

flybackwards

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Any suggestions?
I have noticed this every year and tried harder to pull it tight before leaving the ramp - last season it was firm against the roller and then at the to[ pf the ramp there was a three - four inch gap - my conclusion is that the actual trailer is flexing under the weight of the boat. The trailer works well but its not very heavy construction for the weight of this boat.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I have solved my problem. I just have to power through the winching until the boat is tight against the roller. I make sure the fenders are just under water and then armstrong power crank. Tight every time now. I did have to make build corrections on the ScArab trailer. Bunk angle adjustment and winch post straightened.